Formulation and implementation of a high-order 3-D domain integral method for the extraction of energy release rates
- 172 Downloads
This article presents a three dimensional (3-D) formulation and implementation of a high-order domain integral method for the computation of energy release rate. The method is derived using surface and domain formulations of the J-integral and the weighted residual method. The J-integral along 3-D crack fronts is approximated by high-order Legendre polynomials. The proposed implementation is tailored for the Generalized/eXtended Finite Element Method and can handle discontinuities arbitrarily located within a finite element mesh. The domain integral calculations are based on the same integration elements used for the computation of the stiffness matrix. Discontinuities of the integrands across crack surfaces and across computational element boundaries are fully accounted for. The proposed method is able to deliver smooth approximations and to capture the boundary layer behavior of the J-integral using tetrahedral meshes. Numerical simulations of mode-I and mixed mode benchmark fracture mechanics examples verify expected convergence rates for the computed energy release rates. The results are also in good agreement with other numerical solutions available in the literature.
KeywordsJ-Integral Fracture Generalized finite element method Extended finite element method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Belytschko T, Gracie R, Ventura G (2009) A review of extended/ generalized finite element methods for material modeling. Modell Simul Mater Sci Eng, 17: 24. http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0965-0393/17/4/043001.
- 18.Pereira JP, Duarte CA (2004) Computation of stress intensity factors for pressurized cracks using the generalized finite element method and superconvergent extraction techniques. In: Lyra PRM, da Silva SMBA, Magnani FS, Guimaraes L.J. do N., da Costa LM, Parente Junior E (eds) XXV Iberian Latin-American Congress on Computational Methods in Engineering, Recife, p 15. ISBN Proceedings CD: 857 409 869-8Google Scholar
- 24.Shih CF, Moran B, Nakamura T (1986) Energy release rate along a three-dimensional crack front in a thermally stressed body. Int J Fract 30(2): 79–102Google Scholar
- 27.Szabo BA, Babuška I (1988) Computation of the amplitude of stress singular terms for cracks and reentrant corners. In: Cruse TA (eds) Fracture mechanics: nineteenth symposium, ASTM STP 969, Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio, pp 101–124Google Scholar
- 28.Szabó BA, Babuška I (1991) Finite element analysis. WileyGoogle Scholar