Impact of infected stent removal on recurrent cholangitis with time-to-event analysis
The optimal approach at treating infected biliary stents at the time of cholangitis remains unknown. This study aims to compare the efficacy of stent exchange versus stent sweeping/stent-in-stent approaches at treating cholangitis.
The study was a retrospective cohort study. Patients with biliary stents and cholangitis were included. Outcomes were rate of recurrent cholangitis and time to recurrent cholangitis in those whose stents were left in place (stent sweeping and stent-in-stent) compared to those whose stents were removed (stent exchange). Primary analysis included patients with metal biliary stents only. Secondary analysis included those with metal and plastic biliary stents.
A total of 182 patients (age 64 ± 12;89 F) with a metal biliary stent(s) at index cholangitis were included. Of these, 40 (22%) had stents removed, i.e., stent exchange. The remaining 142 (78%) did not have stent removal (97 with stent-in-stent and 45 with stent sweeping). Recurrent cholangitis occurred in 22.5% and 42.3% in the stent removal and non-removal groups, respectively (p = 0.02). Stent removal remained a negative predictor of recurrent cholangitis after controlling for age, sex, history of diabetes, and chemotherapy (OR 0.39, p = 0.03). Median time from index cholangitis to recurrent cholangitis was shorter for patients whose stents were not removed compared to those whose stents were removed (182 vs 450 days, p = 0.011). On Cox regression model, stent removal remained a negative predictor of recurrent cholangitis after controlling for age, sex, history of diabetes, and chemotherapy (HR 0.41, p = 0.01). The findings persisted in the secondary analysis including both metal and plastic biliary stents (303 patients).
Biliary stent removal with stent exchange at the time of cholangitis appears to be more effective at preventing recurrent cholangitis than leaving an infected stent in the biliary system.
KeywordsCholangitis Biliary stent Stent occlusion Biofilm Stent exchange Sweeping Stent-in-stent
Compliance with ethical standards
Drs. Pichamol Jirapinyo, Mohd AlSamman, and Christopher Thompson have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 1.Charcot M (1877) Comparison avec la fievre uroseptique. Lecons sur les maladies du foie des voies biliares et des reins. Paris: Bourneville et Sevestre. De la fievre hepatique symptomatique; pp 176–85Google Scholar
- 3.Kimura Y, Takada T, Kawarada Y, Nimura Y, Hirata K, Sekimoto M, Yoshida M, Mayumi T, Wada K, Miura F, Yasuda H, Yamashita Y, Nagino M, Hirota M, Tanaka A, Tsuyuguchi T, Strasberg SM, Gadacz TR (2007) Definitions, pathophysiology, and epidemiology of acute cholangitis and cholecystitis: Tokyo Guidelines. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 14(1):15–26CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.An YH, Friedman RJ (1998) Concise review of mechanisms of bacterial adhesion to biomaterial surfaces. J BiomedMaterRes 43:338–348Google Scholar