Safety of laparoscopic hepatectomy in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and portal hypertension: interim analysis of an open prospective study
The laparoscopic approach might increase the number of cirrhotic patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) indicated for liver resection, otherwise contraindicated due to portal hypertension. The goal of this study was to confirm the safety of laparoscopic liver resection (LLR) in patients with portal hypertension.
This prospective, single-center, open study (ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT02145013) included all consecutive cirrhotic patients who underwent LLR for HCC from 2014 to 2017. Short-term outcomes were compared between patients with and without clinically significant portal hypertension (CSPH, defined by hepatic venous pressure gradient ≥ 10 mmHg).
The study population included 45 patients, comprising 27 patients (60%) in the no CSPH group and 18 patients (40%) in the CSPH group. All planned procedures could be performed. The two groups did not differ in the extent of resection, transfusion, duration of clamping, and need for conversion. Overall, the 90-day mortality and severe morbidity rates were nil. Moderate morbidity was significantly higher in the CSPH group (39 vs. 4%, p = 0.01); however, the two groups did not differ in the rate of unresolved liver decompensation. Intensive care unit and hospital stays were significantly longer in the CSPH group. At 2 years, overall survival was 77% in the no CSPH group and 100% in the CSPH group (p = 0.17), and recurrence-free survival was 55% in the no CSPH group and 79% in the CSPH group (p = 0.10).
LLR is safe in BCLC 0-A patients with CSPH, with no mortality and good short-term outcomes. Re-evaluation of the BCLC guidelines is needed.
KeywordsLiver resection Hepatocellular carcinoma Laparoscopic Clinically significant portal hypertension Hepatic venous pressure gradient
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Dr. Chetana Lim, Dr. Michael Osseis, Dr. Eylon Lahat, Dr. Alexandre Doussot, Dr. Dobromir Sotirov, Dr. Francois Hemery, Dr. Marc Lantéri-Minet, Pr. Cyrille Feray, Dr. Chady Salloum, and Pr. Daniel Azoulay have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 2.Faitot F, Allard MA, Pittau G, Ciacio O, Adam R, Castaing D, Cunha AS, Pelletier G, Cherqui D, Samuel D, Vibert E (2015) Impact of clinically evident portal hypertension on the course of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients listed for liver transplantation. Hepatology 62:179–187CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Cucchetti A, Cescon M, Golfieri R, Piscaglia F, Renzulli M, Neri F, Cappelli A, Mazzotti F, Mosconi C, Colecchia A, Ercolani G, Pinna AD (2015) Hepatic venous pressure gradient in the preoperative assessment of patients with resectable hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol 64:79–86CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lim C, Salloum C, Osseis M, Lahat E, Gomez-Gavara C, Compagnon P, Luciani A, Feray C, Azoulay D (2017) Short-term outcomes following hepatectomy for hepatocellular carcinoma within and beyond the BCLC guidelines: a prospective study. HPB (Oxford). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hpb.2017.08.027 Google Scholar
- 8.Molina V, Sampson-Davila J, Ferrer J, Fondevila C, Diaz Del Gobbo R, Calatayud D, Bruix J, Garcia-Valdecasas JC, Fuster J (2017) Benefits of laparoscopic liver resection in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and portal hypertension: a case-matched study. Surg Endosc. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-017-5930-1 Google Scholar
- 10.Truant S, Bouras AF, Hebbar M, Boleslawski E, Fromont G, Dharancy S, Leteurtre E, Zerbib P, Pruvot FR (2011) Laparoscopic resection vs. open liver resection for peripheral hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic liver disease: a case-matched study. Surg Endosc 25:3668–3677CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Morise Z, Ciria R, Cherqui D, Chen KH, Belli G, Wakabayashi G (2015) Can we expand the indications for laparoscopic liver resection? A systematic review and meta-analysis of laparoscopic liver resection for patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and chronic liver disease. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 22:342–352CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Buell JF, Cherqui D, Geller DA, O’Rourke N, Iannitti D, Dagher I, Koffron AJ, Thomas M, Gayet B, Han HS, Wakabayashi G, Belli G, Kaneko H, Ker CG, Scatton O, Laurent A, Abdalla EK, Chaudhury P, Dutson E, Gamblin C, D’Angelica M, Nagorney D, Testa G, Labow D, Manas D, Poon RT, Nelson H, Martin R, Clary B, Pinson WC, Martinie J, Vauthey JN, Goldstein R, Roayaie S, Barlet D, Espat J, Abecassis M, Rees M, Fong Y, McMasters KM, Broelsch C, Busuttil R, Belghiti J, Strasberg S, Chari RS (2009) The international position on laparoscopic liver surgery: the Louisville Statement, 2008. Ann Surg 250:825–830CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Wakabayashi G, Cherqui D, Geller DA, Buell JF, Kaneko H, Han HS, Asbun H, O’Rourke N, Tanabe M, Koffron AJ, Tsung A, Soubrane O, Machado MA, Gayet B, Troisi RI, Pessaux P, Van Dam RM, Scatton O, Abu Hilal M, Belli G, Kwon CH, Edwin B, Choi GH, Aldrighetti LA, Cai X, Cleary S, Chen KH, Schon MR, Sugioka A, Tang CN, Herman P, Pekolj J, Chen XP, Dagher I, Jarnagin W, Yamamoto M, Strong R, Jagannath P, Lo CM, Clavien PA, Kokudo N, Barkun J, Strasberg SM (2015) Recommendations for laparoscopic liver resection: a report from the second international consensus conference held in Morioka. Ann Surg 261:619–629Google Scholar
- 25.Lim C, Shinkawa H, Hasegawa K, Bhangui P, Salloum C, Gomez Gavara C, Lahat E, Omichi K, Arita J, Sakamoto Y, Compagnon P, Feray C, Kokudo N, Azoulay D (2017) Salvage liver transplantation or repeat hepatectomy for recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma: an intent-to-treat analysis. Liver Transpl 23:1553–1563CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.de’Angelis N, Eshkenazy R, Brunetti F, Valente R, Costa M, Disabato M, Salloum C, Compagnon P, Laurent A, Azoulay D (2014) Laparoscopic versus open resection for colorectal liver metastases: a single-center study with propensity score analysis. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 25:12–20CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Inoue Y, Suzuki Y, Fujii K, Kawaguchi N, Ishii M, Masubuchi S, Yamamoto M, Hirokawa F, Hayashi M, Uchiyama K (2017) Laparoscopic hepatic resection using extracorporeal Pringle maneuver. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 28:452–458Google Scholar
- 37.Sala M, Fuster J, Llovet JM, Navasa M, Sole M, Varela M, Pons F, Rimola A, Garcia-Valdecasas JC, Bru C, Bruix J (2004) High pathological risk of recurrence after surgical resection for hepatocellular carcinoma: an indication for salvage liver transplantation. Liver Transpl 10:1294–1300CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Ferrer-Fabrega J, Forner A, Liccioni A, Miquel R, Molina V, Navasa M, Fondevila C, Garcia-Valdecasas JC, Bruix J, Fuster J (2015) Prospective validation of ab initio liver transplantation in hepatocellular carcinoma upon detection of risk factors for recurrence after resection. Hepatology 63:839–849CrossRefGoogle Scholar