Enhanced recovery care versus traditional care after laparoscopic liver resections: a randomized controlled trial
- 659 Downloads
Enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS), with several evidence-based elements, has been shown to shorten length of hospital stay and reduce perioperative hospital costs in many operations. This randomized clinical trial was performed to compare complications and hospital stay of laparoscopic liver resection between ERAS and traditional care.
A randomized controlled trial was performed for laparoscopic liver resection from August 2015 to August 2016. Patients were randomly divided into ERAS group and traditional care group. The primary outcome was length of hospital stay (LOS) after surgery. Second outcomes included postoperative complications, hospital cost, and 30-day readmissions. Elements used in ERAS group included more perioperative education, nurse navigators, nutrition support for liver diseases, respiratory therapy, oral carbohydrate 2 h before operation, early mobilization and oral intake, goal-directed fluid therapy, less drainages, postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) prophylaxis and multimodal analgesia.
The study included 58 (two conversion to laparotomy) patients in ERAS group and 61 (three conversion to laparotomy) patients in the traditional care group. Postoperative LOS was significantly shorter in the ERAS group than traditional care group (5 vs. 8 days; p < 0.001). ERAS program significantly reduced the hospital costs (CNY 45413.1 vs. 55794.1; p = 0.006) and complications (36.2 vs. 55.7%; p = 0.033). Duration till first flatus and PONV were significantly reduced in ERAS group. Pain control was better in ERAS (Visual analogue scale (VAS) POD1 (≥ 4) 19.0 vs. 39.3%, p = 0.017; VAS POD1 2.5 vs. 3.1, p = 0.010). There was no difference in the rate of 30-day readmissions (6.9 vs. 8.2%; p = 1.000).
ERAS protocol is feasible and safe for laparoscopic liver resection. Patients in ERAS group have less pain and complications.
KeywordsEnhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) Laparoscopic liver resection Randomized controlled trial Length of hospital stay Pain control Complications
Enhanced recovery after surgery
Postoperative nausea and vomiting
Visual analogue scale
China Yuan, Renminbi
Comprehensive Complication Index
Thanks for the patients who agreed to participate in the study and the surgeons, anesthetists, statistician, and nurses who helped to implement the protocol. Thanks Dr. Liu Hui, a statistician from institution of minimally invasive surgery of Zhejiang university who carried out random allocation and helped with the statistician analysis.
This study was supported by the Medical Technology Project of Zhejiang Province (Grant 2015RCA015) and the Natural Science Foundation of Zhejiang Province of China (Grant LY17G030019).
Compliance with ethical standards
Xiujun Cai, Xiao Liang, Hanning Ying, Hongwei Wang, Hongxia Xu, Minjun Liu, Haiyan Zhou, Huiqing Ge, Wenbin Jiang, Lijun Feng, Hui Liu, Yingchun Zhang, Zhiying Mao, Jianhua Li, Bo Shen, and Yuelong Liang declares no conflict of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 3.Gatt M, Khan S, MacFie J, Neal KR, Dejong CH, Fearon KC, Ljungqvist O, Lobo DN (2010) In response to: Varadhan KK. The enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) pathway for patients undergoing major elective open colorectal surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Clin Nutr 29(5):434–440CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Veenhof AAFA, Vlug MS, van der Pas MHGM, Sietses C, van der Peet DL, de Lange-de Klerk ESM, Bonjer HJ, Bemelman WA, Cuesta MA (2012) Surgical stress response and postoperative immune function after laparoscopy or open surgery with fast track or standard perioperative care a randomized trial. Ann Surg 255(2):216–221CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Cerantola Y, Valerio M, Persson B, Jichlinski P, Ljungqvist O, Hubner M, Kassouf W, Muller S, Baldini G, Carli F, Naesheimh T, Ytrebo L, Revhaug A, Lassen K, Knutsen T, Aarsether E, Wiklund P, Patel HRH (2013) Guidelines for perioperative care after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS (R)) society recommendations. Clin Nutr 32(6):879–887CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Nelson G, Altman AD, Nick A, Meyer LA, Ramirez PT, Achtari C, Antrobus J, Huang J, Scott M, Wijk L, Acheson N, Ljungqvist O, Dowdy SC (2016) Guidelines for pre- and intra-operative care in gynecologic/oncology surgery: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS (R)) society recommendations—Part I. Gynecol Oncol 140(2):313–322CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Liang X, Ying H, Wang H, Xu H, Yu H, Cai L, Wang Y, Tong Y, Ji L, Luo R, Cai X (2016) Enhanced recovery program versus traditional care in laparoscopic hepatectomy. Medicine (Baltimore) 95:e28358Google Scholar
- 21.Melloul E, Hubner M, Scott M, Snowden C, Prentis J, Dejong CH, Garden OJ, Farges O, Kokudo N, Vauthey JN, Clavien PA, Demartines N (2016) Guidelines for perioperative care for liver surgery: enhanced recovery after surgery (eras) society recommendations. World J Surg 40(10):2425–2440CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Gustafsson UO, Scott MJ, Schwenk W, Demartines N, Roulin D, Francis N, McNaught CE, MacFie J, Liberman AS, Soop M, Hill A, Kennedy RH, Lobo DN, Fearon K, Ljungqvist O (2013) Guidelines for perioperative care in elective colonic surgery: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS((R))) society recommendations. World J Surg 37(2):259–284CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Nygren J, Hausel J, Kehlet H, Revhaug A, Lassen K, Dejong C, Andersen J, von Meyenfeldt M, Ljungqvist O, Fearon KC (2005) A comparison in five European Centres of case mix, clinical management and outcomes following either conventional or fast-track perioperative care in colorectal surgery. Clin Nutr 24(3):455–461CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Schmidt SC, Hamann S, Langrehr JM, Hoeflich C, Mittler J, Jacob D, Neuhaus P (2007) Preoperative high-dose steroid administration attenuates the surgical stress response following liver resection: results of a prospective randomized study. J Hepato-Biliary-Pancreat Surg 14(5):484–492CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Gan TJ, Diemunsch P, Habib AS, Kovac A, Kranke P, Meyer TA, Watcha M, Chung F, Angus S, Apfel CC, Bergese SD, Candiotti KA, Chan MT, Davis PJ, Hooper VD, Lagoo-Deenadayalan S, Myles P, Nezat G, Philip BK, Tramer MR (2014) Consensus guidelines for the management of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesth Analg 118(1):85–113CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 37.Parikh RP, Sharma K, Guffey R, Myckatyn TM (2016) Preoperative paravertebral block improves postoperative pain control and reduces hospital length of stay in patients undergoing autologous breast reconstruction after mastectomy for breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 23(13):4262–4269CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 41.Fan ST (1998) Problems of hepatectomy in cirrhosis. Hepato-Gastroenterol 453:1288–1290Google Scholar
- 45.Wakabayashi G, Cherqui D, Geller DA, Buell JE, Kaneko H, Han HS, Asbun H, O’Rourke N, Tanabe M, Koffron AJ, Tsung A, Soubrane O, Machado MA, Gayet B, Troisi RI, Pessaux P, Van Dam RM, Scatton O, Abu Hilal M, Belli G, Kwon CHD, Edwin B, Choi GH, Aldrighetti LA, Cai X, Clemy S, Chen K, Schoen MR, Sugioka A, Tang C, Herman P, Pekolj J, Chen X, Dagher I, Jarnagin W, Yamamoto M, Strong R, Jagannath P, Lo C, Clavien P, Kokudo N, Barkun J, Strasberg SM (2015) Recommendations for laparoscopic liver resection a report from the second international consensus conference held in morioka. Ann Surg 261(4):619–629PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 48.Fretland AA, Dagenborg VJ, Bjornelv GMW, Kazaryan AM, Kristiansen R, Fagerland MW, Hausken J, Tonnessen TI, Abildgaard A, Barkhatov L, Yaqub S, Rosok BI, Bjornbeth BA, Andersen MH, Flatmark K, Aas E, Edwin B (2017) Laparoscopic versus open resection for colorectal liver metastases. The OSLO-COMET Randomized Controlled Trial, Ann SurgGoogle Scholar
- 49.van Dam RM, Wong-Lun-Hing EM, Van Breukelen GJP, Stoot JHMB, van der Vorst JR, Bemelmans MHA, Damink SWMO, Lassen K, Dejong CHC (2012) Open versus laparoscopic left lateral hepatic sectionectomy within an enhanced recovery ERAS (R) programme (ORANGE II—trial): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials, 13(54)Google Scholar
- 50.Vlug MS, Wind J FAU, Hollmann MW, Hollmann MW FAU, Ubbink DT, Ubbink DT FAU, Cense HA, Cense HA FAU, Engel AF, Engel AF FAU, Gerhards MF, Gerhards MF FAU, Van Wagensveld BA, van Wagensveld BA FAU, Van Der Zaag ES, van der Zaag ES FAU, Van Geloven AAW, van Geloven AA FAU, Sprangers MAG, Sprangers MA FAU, Cuesta MA, Cuesta MA FAU, Bemelman WA (2011) Bemelman WA—laparoscopy in combination with fast track multimodal management is the best perioperative strategy in patients undergoing colonic surgery: a randomized clinical trial (LAFA-study). Ann Surg 254(6):868–875. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e31821fd1ce CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 51.Gustafsson UO, Hausel J FAU, Thorell A, Thorell A FAU, Ljungqvist O, Ljungqvist O FAU, Soop M, Soop M FAU, Nygren J, Nygren J (2011) Adherence to the enhanced recovery after surgery protocol and outcomes after colorectal cancer surgery. Arch Surg 146(5):571–577. https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.2010.309 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar