Long-term outcomes of endoscopic submucosal dissection in comparison to surgery in undifferentiated-type intramucosal gastric cancer using propensity score analysis
- 346 Downloads
The treatment of intramucosal early gastric cancer with undifferentiated-type histologies (UD-EGCs) using endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) is controversial. This study aimed to compare the clinical and oncologic long-term outcomes of ESD and surgery for UD-EGCs.
A prospectively collected database of patients who underwent ESD or surgery between January 2006 and December 2012 was established. Patients who diagnosed with UD-EGC and satisfied the expanded indications of ESD were included. Clinical data from 111 patients treated with ESD and 382 patients underwent surgery were analyzed, and 1–1 propensity score-matched 81 pairs of patients were also compared.
In both groups, two-thirds of the UD-EGCs had signet ring cell (SRC)-type histology and about 90% of UD-EGCs were flat or depressed types. The mean size of tumors was smaller in ESD group (9.7 vs. 13.2 mm; P < 0.001). After propensity score-matched, case-matching covariates were not significantly different between the groups. Disease-free survival (DFS) was significantly shorter in the ESD group, but overall survival (OS) was not different between the two groups both in overall comparison (DFS; P < 0.001 and OS; P = 0.078) and propensity score-matched analysis (DFS; P < 0.001 and OS; P = 0.850). According to histologic type, OS of SRC histology was not different between the group, both in overall comparison and propensity score-matched analysis (P = 0.286 and P = 0.210). On the other hands, OS of poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma was significantly shorter in ESD group in overall comparison (P = 0.007), but was not as so in propensity score-matched analysis (P = 0.088).
ESD might be a complementary option for the treatment of UD-EGCs, especially in those with SRC-type histology based on strict expanded indications. Nonetheless, close endoscopic surveillance is required because of a high incidence of intragastric recurrence.
KeywordsEarly gastric cancer Undifferentiated histology ESD Long-term outcomes Recurrences
Compliance with ethical standards
Jun Chul Park, Yong Kang Lee, Soon Young Kim, Yunho Roh, Kyu Yeon Hahn, Sung Kwan Shin, Sang Kil Lee, Yong Chan Lee, Hyoung-Il Kim, Jae-Ho Cheong, Woo Jin Hyung, and Sung Hoon Noh have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 1.Choi JH, Kim ES, Lee YJ, Cho KB, Park KS, Jang BK, Chung WJ, Hwang JS, Ryu SW (2015) Comparison of quality of life and worry of cancer recurrence between endoscopic and surgical treatment for early gastric cancer. Gastrointest Endosc 82(2):299–307. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2015.01.019 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Choi IJ, Lee JH, Kim YI, Kim CG, Cho SJ, Lee JY, Ryu KW, Nam BH, Kook MC, Kim YW (2015) Long-term outcome comparison of endoscopic resection and surgery in early gastric cancer meeting the absolute indication for endoscopic resection. Gastrointest Endosc 81(2):333–341.e331. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2014.07.047 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Park CH, Lee H, Kim DW, Chung H, Park JC, Shin SK, Hyung WJ, Lee SK, Lee YC, Noh SH (2014) Clinical safety of endoscopic submucosal dissection compared with surgery in elderly patients with early gastric cancer: a propensity-matched analysis. Gastrointest Endosc 80(4):599–609. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2014.04.042 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Chiu PW, Teoh AY, To KF, Wong SK, Liu SY, Lam CC, Yung MY, Chan FK, Lau JY, Ng EK (2012) Endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) compared with gastrectomy for treatment of early gastric neoplasia: a retrospective cohort study. Surg Endosc 26(12):3584–3591. doi: 10.1007/s00464-012-2371-8 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Fukunaga S, Nagami Y, Shiba M, Ominami M, Tanigawa T, Yamagami H, Tanaka H, Muguruma K, Watanabe T, Tominaga K, Fujiwara Y, Ohira M, Hirakawa K, Arakawa T (2017) Long-term prognosis of expanded-indication differentiated-type early gastric cancer treated with endoscopic submucosal dissection or surgery using propensity score analysis. Gastrointest Endosc 85(1):143–152. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2016.06.049 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Tanabe S, Hirabayashi S, Oda I, Ono H, Nashimoto A, Isobe Y, Miyashiro I, Tsujitani S, Seto Y, Fukagawa T, Nunobe S, Furukawa H, Kodera Y, Kaminishi M, Katai H (2017) Gastric cancer treated by endoscopic submucosal dissection or endoscopic mucosal resection in Japan from 2004 through 2006: JGCA nationwide registry conducted in 2013. Gastric Cancer. doi: 10.1007/s10120-017-0699-4 Google Scholar
- 10.Asakawa Y, Ohtaka M, Maekawa S, Fukasawa M, Nakayama Y, Yamaguchi T, Inoue T, Uetake T, Sakamoto M, Sato T, Kawaguchi Y, Fujii H, Mochizuki K, Hada M, Oyama T, Yasumura T, Omata K, Nishiyama A, Naito K, Hata H, Haba Y, Miyata K, Saitoh H, Yamadera Y, Miura K, Kawaoi A, Abe T, Tsunoda H, Honda Y, Kurosaki M, Enomoto N (2015) Stratifying the risk of lymph node metastasis in undifferentiated-type early gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol 21(9):2683–2692. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v21.i9.2683 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Huh CW, Jung da H, Kim JH, Lee YC, Kim H, Kim H, Yoon SO, Youn YH, Park H, Lee SI, Choi SH, Cheong JH, Noh SH (2013) Signet ring cell mixed histology may show more aggressive behavior than other histologies in early gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol 107(2):124–129. doi: 10.1002/jso.23261 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Bang CS, Baik GH, Shin IS, Kim JB, Suk KT, Yoon JH, Kim YS, Kim DJ, Shin WG, Kim KH, Kim HY, Lim H, Kang HS, Kim JH, Kim JB, Jung SW, Kae SH, Jang HJ, Choi MH (2015) Endoscopic submucosal dissection for early gastric cancer with undifferentiated-type histology: a meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol 21(19):6032–6043. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v21.i19.6032 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Okada K, Fujisaki J, Yoshida T, Ishikawa H, Suganuma T, Kasuga A, Omae M, Kubota M, Ishiyama A, Hirasawa T, Chino A, Inamori M, Yamamoto Y, Yamamoto N, Tsuchida T, Tamegai Y, Nakajima A, Hoshino E, Igarashi M (2012) Long-term outcomes of endoscopic submucosal dissection for undifferentiated-type early gastric cancer. Endoscopy 44(2):122–127. doi: 10.1055/s-0031-1291486 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Ajani JA, Bentrem DJ, Besh S, D’Amico TA, Das P, Denlinger C, Fakih MG, Fuchs CS, Gerdes H, Glasgow RE, Hayman JA, Hofstetter WL, Ilson DH, Keswani RN, Kleinberg LR, Korn WM, Lockhart AC, Meredith K, Mulcahy MF, Orringer MB, Posey JA, Sasson AR, Scott WJ, Strong VE, Varghese TK Jr, Warren G, Washington MK, Willett C, Wright CD, McMillian NR, Sundar H (2013) Gastric cancer, version 2.2013: featured updates to the NCCN Guidelines. J Natl Compr Cancer Netw 11(5):531–546CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Ahn JY, Jung HY, Choi KD, Choi JY, Kim MY, Lee JH, Choi KS, Kim do H, Song HJ, Lee GH, Kim JH, Park YS (2011) Endoscopic and oncologic outcomes after endoscopic resection for early gastric cancer: 1370 cases of absolute and extended indications. Gastrointest Endosc 74(3):485–493. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2011.04.038 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Kim YY, Jeon SW, Kim J, Park JC, Cho KB, Park KS, Kim E, Chung YJ, Kwon JG, Jung JT, Kim EY, Kim KO, Jang B, Lee SH, Yang CH (2013) Endoscopic submucosal dissection for early gastric cancer with undifferentiated histology: could we extend the criteria beyond? Surg Endosc 27(12):4656–4662. doi: 10.1007/s00464-013-3099-9 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Hirasawa T, Gotoda T, Miyata S, Kato Y, Shimoda T, Taniguchi H, Fujisaki J, Sano T, Yamaguchi T (2009) Incidence of lymph node metastasis and the feasibility of endoscopic resection for undifferentiated-type early gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 12(3):148–152. doi: 10.1007/s10120-009-0515-x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Chon HJ, Hyung WJ, Kim C, Park S, Kim JH, Park CH, Ahn JB, Kim H, Chung HC, Rha SY, Noh SH, Jeung HC (2016) Differential prognostic implications of gastric signet ring cell carcinoma: stage adjusted analysis from a single high-volume center in Asia. Ann Surg. doi: 10.1097/sla.0000000000001793 Google Scholar
- 37.Lee JH, Kim JG, Jung HK, Kim JH, Jeong WK, Jeon TJ, Kim JM, Kim YI, Ryu KW, Kong SH, Kim HI, Jung HY, Kim YS, Zang DY, Cho JY, Park JO, Lim do H, Jung ES, Ahn HS, Kim HJ (2014) Synopsis on clinical practice guideline of gastric cancer in Korea: an evidence-based approach. Korean J Gastroenterol 63(2):66–81CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar