Diagnostic staging laparoscopy in gastric cancer: a prospective cohort at a cancer institute in Japan
- 498 Downloads
There have been many studies that describe the value of diagnostic staging laparoscopy (DSL) in gastric cancer. However, different studies use different indications, making study results difficult to compare. This study aimed to clarify the diagnostic feasibility of DSL for gastric cancer in a prospective manner and investigated the impact of DSL on clinical decision-making in gastric cancer treatment.
The study was a prospective cohort study based at a single institution between January 2010 and December 2013. We treated 2213 patients with potentially resectable gastric cancer during this period. DSL was primarily indicated for asymptomatic patients with: (1) large Borrmann type 3 tumours ≥8 cm, (2) Borrmann type 4 tumours (linitis plastica), (3) bulky lymph nodes or paraaortic lymph node swelling, or (4) clinical suspicion of peritoneal disease. The primary outcome is change in treatment strategy, and the secondary outcomes are diagnostic accuracy of the indications and false negative rate of DSL.
DSL was performed on 156 (7%) of 2213 patients. Of these, peritoneal disease was found in 74 (47%) patients: (1) 56% for large type 3, (2) 54% for type 4, (3) 21% for bulky lymph nodes or paraaortic lymph node swelling, and (4) 20% for suspected peritoneal disease. The diagnostic accuracy of our indication for DSL was 92% for all patients and 74% for patients with cT3/T4 tumours. Among 82 patients without peritoneal disease, 66 patients (81%) underwent subsequent radical gastrectomy; peritoneal disease was discovered intraoperatively for 7 patients at laparotomy, indicating a false negative rate of 11%.
We confirmed that DSL performed according to our indication, in the context of gastric cancer, possesses diagnostic feasibility. Approximately half of the patients who underwent DSL consequently avoided unnecessary laparotomy and were able to receive appropriate alternative treatment.
KeywordsGastric cancer Diagnostic staging laparoscopy Peritoneal disease Peritoneal dissemination Positive cytology Treatment strategy
Compliance with ethical standards
Tomoyuki Irino, Takeshi Sano, Naoki Hiki, Manabu Ohashi, Souya Nunobe, Koshi Kumagai, Satoshi Ida, and Toshiharu Yamaguchi, have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 2.Smyth E, Schoder H, Strong VE, Capanu M, Kelsen DP, Coit DG, Shah MA (2012) A prospective evaluation of the utility of 2-deoxy-2-[(18) F]fluoro-d-glucose positron emission tomography and computed tomography in staging locally advanced gastric cancer. Cancer 118(22):5481–5488. doi: 10.1002/cncr.27550 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Leake PA, Cardoso R, Seevaratnam R, Lourenco L, Helyer L, Mahar A, Law C, Coburn NG (2012) A systematic review of the accuracy and indications for diagnostic laparoscopy prior to curative-intent resection of gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 15(Suppl 1):S38–47. doi: 10.1007/s10120-011-0047-z CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Yano M, Tsujinaka T, Shiozaki H, Inoue M, Sekimoto M, Doki Y, Takiguchi S, Imamura H, Taniguchi M, Monden M (2000) Appraisal of treatment strategy by staging laparoscopy for locally advanced gastric cancer. World J Surg 24(9):1130–1135; discussion 1135–1136Google Scholar
- 8.Katayama H, Ito S, Sano T, Takahari D, Mizusawa J, Boku N, Tsuburaya A, Terashima M, Sasako M (2012) A phase II study of systemic chemotherapy with docetaxel, cisplatin, and S-1 (DCS) followed by surgery in gastric cancer patients with extensive lymph node metastasis: Japan Clinical Oncology Group study JCOG1002. Jpn J Clin Oncol 42(6):556–559. doi: 10.1093/jjco/hys054 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Iwasaki Y, Sasako M, Yamamoto S, Nakamura K, Sano T, Katai H, Tsujinaka T, Nashimoto A, Fukushima N, Tsuburaya A (2013) Phase II study of preoperative chemotherapy with S-1 and cisplatin followed by gastrectomy for clinically resectable type 4 and large type 3 gastric cancers (JCOG0210). J Surg Oncol 107(7):741–745. doi: 10.1002/jso.23301 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Nassour I, Fullington H, Hyman L, Yopp A, Augustine M, Polanco P, Choti M, Mansour J, Wang S, Porembka M (2017) The yield of staging laparoscopy in gastric cancer is affected by racial and ethnic differences in disease presentation. Ann Surg Oncol. doi: 10.1245/s10434-017-5805-7) PubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Tsuburaya A, Mizusawa J, Tanaka Y, Fukushima N, Nashimoto A, Sasako M (2014) Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with S-1 and cisplatin followed by D2 gastrectomy with para-aortic lymph node dissection for gastric cancer with extensive lymph node metastasis. Br J Surg 101(6):653–660. doi: 10.1002/bjs.9484 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Hato S, Iwasaki Y, Mizusawa J, Terashima M, Katai H, Yoshikawa T, Ito S, Kaji M, Fujita J, Hirao M, Yamada M, Takagi M, Kaytayama H, Nalamura K, Sano T, Sasako M (2017) Effectiveness and limitations of staging laparoscopy for peritoneal metastases in advanced gastric cancer from the results of JCOG0501: a randomized trial of gastrectomy with or without neoadjuvant chemotherapy for type 4 or large type 3 gastric cancer. JCO. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2017.35.4_suppl.9 Google Scholar
- 19.Cunningham D, Allum WH, Stenning SP, Thompson JN, Van de Velde CJ, Nicolson M, Scarffe JH, Lofts FJ, Falk SJ, Iveson TJ, Smith DB, Langley RE, Verma M, Weeden S, Chua YJ, Participants MT (2006) Perioperative chemotherapy versus surgery alone for resectable gastroesophageal cancer. N Engl J Med 355(1):11–20. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa055531 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Enestvedt CK, Mayo SC, Diggs BS, Mori M, Austin DA, Shipley DK, Sheppard BC, Billingsley KG (2008) Diagnostic laparoscopy for patients with potentially resectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma: is it cost-effective in the current era? J Gastrointest Surg 12(7):1177–1184. doi: 10.1007/s11605-008-0514-y CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Shimada H, Noie T, Ohashi M, Oba K, Takahashi Y (2014) Clinical significance of serum tumor markers for gastric cancer: a systematic review of literature by the Task Force of the Japanese Gastric Cancer Association. Gastric Cancer 17(1):26–33. doi: 10.1007/s10120-013-0259-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar