Clinical impact of laparoscopic hepatectomy: technical and oncological viewpoints
- 376 Downloads
The objective of this study was to assess the clinical impact of laparoscopic hepatectomy from technical and oncological viewpoints through the consecutive 5-year experience of an expert team. The subjects consisted of 491 consecutive hepatectomies performed over the course of 5 years. A total of 190 hepatectomies (38.6 %) were performed laparoscopically, and the remaining 301 (61.4 %) were open hepatectomies. Chronological trends of operative procedures and their indications were evaluated, and patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) were analyzed from an oncological viewpoint. The proportion of laparoscopic hepatectomies performed increased significantly during the study period (from 17.6 to 49.5 %). According to chronological trends, right hepatectomy was standardized using consecutive steps after minor hepatectomy, left lateral sectionectomy, and left hepatectomy were standardized. The proportion of laparoscopic hepatectomies performed for HCC increased from 21.4 to 71.0 %. No significant difference was observed in the proportion of major hepatectomies performed for HCC between the open and laparoscopy groups (50.6 vs. 48.6 %, p = 0.8053), whereas that of anatomical segmentectomy for HCC was significantly lower in the laparoscopy group (28.7 vs. 11.1 %, p = 0.0064). All laparoscopic anatomical segmentectomies were of segments 5 and 6, and there was no segmentectomy of posterosuperior lesions. The present study shows the consecutive technical developmental processes for minor hepatectomy, left lateral sectionectomy, left hepatectomy, and right hepatectomy without compromising oncological principles. Laparoscopic anatomical segmentectomy for posterosuperior lesions may be the most technically demanding procedure, requiring individualized standardization.
KeywordsHepatocellular carcinoma Laparoscopic hepatectomy Anatomical segmentectomy Left lateral sectionectomy Major hepatectomy Standardization
Compliance with ethical standards
Drs. Shohei Komatsu, Raffaele Brustia, Claire Goumard, Ailton Sepulveda, Fabiano Perdigao, Olivier Soubrane, and Olivier Scatton have no conflict of interests or financial ties to disclose.
- 4.Wakabayashi G, Cherqui D, Geller DA, Buell JF, Kaneko H, Han HS, Asbun H, O’Rourke N, Tanabe M, Koffron AJ, Tsung A, Soubrane O, Machado MA, Gayet B, Troisi RI, Pessaux P, Van Dam RM, Scatton O, Abu Hilal M, Belli G, Kwon CH, Edwin B, Choi GH, Aldrighetti LA, Cai X, Cleary S, Chen KH, Schon MR, Sugioka A, Tang CN, Herman P, Pekolj J, Chen XP, Dagher I, Jarnagin W, Yamamoto M, Strong R, Jagannath P, Lo CM, Clavien PA, Kokudo N, Barkun J, Strasberg SM (2015) Recommendations for laparoscopic liver resection: a report from the second international consensus conference held in Morioka. Ann Surg 261:619–629PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Ikeda T, Toshima T, Harimoto N, Yamashita Y, Ikegami T, Yoshizumi T, Soejima Y, Shirabe K, Maehara Y (2014) Laparoscopic liver resection in the semiprone position for tumors in the anterosuperior and posterior segments, using a novel dual-handling technique and bipolar irrigation system. Surg Endosc 28:2484–2492CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Belli G, Gayet B, Han HS, Wakabayashi G, Kim KH, Cannon R, Kaneko H, Gamblin T, Koffron A, Dagher I, Buell JF, International Consensus Group for Laparoscopic Liver S (2013) Laparoscopic left hemihepatectomy a consideration for acceptance as standard of care. Surg Endosc 27:2721–2726CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Dagher I, Gayet B, Tzanis D, Tranchart H, Fuks D, Soubrane O, Han HS, Kim KH, Cherqui D, O’Rourke N, Troisi RI, Aldrighetti L, Bjorn E, Abu Hilal M, Belli G, Kaneko H, Jarnagin WR, Lin C, Pekolj J, Buell JF, Wakabayashi G (2014) International experience for laparoscopic major liver resection. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 21:732–736CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar