Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: results of a multicenter cohort study on 196 patients
- 475 Downloads
Laparoscopy is widely accepted as a feasible option for distal pancreatectomy. However, the experience in laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy (LDP) for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) is limited to a small number of studies, reported by expert centers. The present study aimed to evaluate perioperative and oncological outcomes after LDP for PDAC in a large, multicenter cohort of patients.
A retrospective analysis of the data on 196 patients with histologically verified PDAC, operated at Oslo University Hospital—Rikshospitalet (Oslo, Norway), Asan Medical Center (Seoul, Republic of Korea), Institut Mutualiste Montsouris (Paris, France) and University Hospital Southampton (Southampton, UK) between January 2002 and April 2015 was conducted. The patients with standard (SLDP) and extended (i.e., en bloc with adjacent organ, ELDP) resections were compared in terms of perioperative and oncological outcomes.
Out of 196 LDP procedures, 191 (97.4 %) were completed through laparoscopy, while five (2.6 %) were converted to open surgery. ELDP was performed in 30 (15.7 %) cases. Sixty-one (31.9 %) patients experienced postoperative complications, including 48 (25.1 %) with pancreatic fistula. The rate of clinically relevant fistula (grade B/C) was 15.7 %. Median postoperative hospital stay was 8 (2–63) days. Median follow-up was 16 months. Median survival was 31.3 months (95 % CI 22.9–39.6). Three- and 5-year actuarial survival rates were 42.4 and 30 %, respectively. SLDP was associated with significantly higher survival compared with ELDP (p = 0.032).
LDP seems to be a feasible and safe procedure, providing satisfactory oncological outcomes in patients with PDAC.
KeywordsLaparoscopy Ductal adenocarcinoma Pancreatectomy Outcomes Survival
Compliance with ethical standards
Mushegh A. Sahakyan, Airazat M. Kazaryan, Majd Rawashdeh, David Fuks, Mark Shmavonyan, Sven-Petter Haugvik, Knut-Jørgen Labori, Trond Buanes, Bård Ingvald Røsok, Dejan Ignjatovic, Mohammad Abu Hilal, Brice Gayet, Song Cheol Kim and Bjørn Edwin have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 3.Imamura M, Doi R, Imaizumi T, Funakoshi A, Wakasugi H, Sunamura M, Ogata Y, Hishinuma S, Asano T, Aikou T, Hosotani R, Maetani S (2004) A randomized multicenter trial comparing resection and radiochemotherapy for resectable locally invasive pancreatic cancer. Surgery 136(5):1003–1011CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kooby DA, Hawkins WG, Schmidt CM, Weber SM, Bentrem DJ, Gillespie TW, Sellers JB, Merchant NB, Scoggins CR, Martin RC 3rd, Kim HJ, Ahmad S, Cho CS, Parikh AA, Chu CK, Hamilton NA, Doyle CJ, Pinchot S, Hayman A, McClaine R, Nakeeb A, Staley CA, McMasters KM, Lillemoe KD (2010) A multicentre analysis of distal pancreatectomy for adenocarcinoma: Is laparoscopic resection appropriate? J Am Coll Surg 210:776–779CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kooby DA, Gillespie T, Bentrem D, Nakeeb A, Schmidt MC, Merchant NB, Parikh AA, Martin RC 2nd, Scoggins CR, Ahmad S, Kim HJ, Park J, Johnston F, Strouch MJ, Menze A, Rymer J, McClaine R, Strasberg SM, Talamonti MS, Staley CA, McMasters KM, Lowy AM, Byrd-Sellers J, Wood WC, Hawkins WG (2008) Left-sided pancreatectomy: a multicenter comparison of laparoscopic and open approaches. Ann Surg 248(3):438–446PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Marangos IP, Buanes T, Røsok BI, Kazaryan AM, Rosseland AR, Grzyb K, Villanger O, Mathisen Ø, Gladhaug IP, Edwin B (2012) Laparoscopic resection of exocrine carcinoma in central and distal pancreas results in a high rate of radical resections and long postoperative survival. Surgery 151(5):717–723CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Song KB, Kim SC, Park JB, Kim YH, Jung YS, Kim MH, Lee SK, Seo DW, Lee SS, Park do H, Han DJ (2011) Single-center experience of laparoscopic left pancreatic resection in 359 consecutive patients: changing the surgical paradigm of left pancreatic resection. Surg Endosc 25(10):3364–3372CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Hartwig W, Vollmer CM, Fingerhut A, Yeo CJ, Neoptolemos JP, Adham M, Andrén-Sandberg A, Asbun HJ, Bassi C, Bockhorn M, Charnley R, Conlon KC, Dervenis C, Fernandez-Cruz L, Friess H, Gouma DJ, Imrie CW, Lillemoe KD, Milićević MN, Montorsi M, Shrikhande SV, Vashist YK, Izbicki JR, Büchler MW, International Study Group on Pancreatic Surgery (2014) Extended pancreatectomy in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: definition and consensus of the International Study Group for Pancreatic Surgery (ISGPS). Surgery 156(1):1–14CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Porembka MR, Hall BL, Hirbe M, Strasberg SM (2010) Quantitative weighting of postoperative complications based on the accordion severity grading system: demonstration of potential impact using the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program. J Am Coll Surg 210:286–298CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Weber SM, Cho CS, Merchant N, Pinchot S, Rettammel R, Nakeeb A, Bentrem D, Parikh A, Mazo AE, Martin RC 3rd, Scoggins CR, Ahmad SA, Kim HJ, Hamilton N, Hawkins W, Max Schmidt C, Kooby DA (2009) Laparoscopic left pancreatectomy: complication risk score correlates with morbidity and risk for pancreatic fistula. Ann Surg Oncol 16(10):2825–2833CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Mabrut JY, Fernandez-Cruz L, Azagra JS, Bassi C, Delvaux G, Weerts J, Fabre JM, Boulez J, Baulieux J, Peix JL, Gigot JF, Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Section (HBPS) of the Royal Belgian Society of Surgery, Belgian Group for Endoscopic Surgery (BGES), Club Coelio (2005) Laparoscopic pancreatic resection: results of a multicenter European study of 127 patients. Surgery 137(6):597–605CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 39.Slidell MB, Chang DC, Cameron JL, Wolfgang C, Herman JM, Schulick RD, Choti MA, Pawlik TM (2008) Impact of total lymph node count and lymph node ratio on staging and survival after pancreatectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma: a large, population-based analysis. Ann Surg Oncol 15(1):165–174CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 47.Neoptolemos JP, Stocken DD, Friess H, Bassi C, Dunn JA, Hickey H, Beger H, Fernandez-Cruz L, Dervenis C, Lacaine F, Falconi M, Pederzoli P, Pap A, Spooner D, Kerr DJ, Büchler MW, European Study Group for Pancreatic Cancer (2004) A randomized trial of chemoradiotherapy and chemotherapy after resection of pancreatic cancer. N Engl J Med 350(12):1200–1210CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar