In vivo characterization of pancreatic cystic lesions by needle-based confocal laser endomicroscopy (nCLE): proposition of a comprehensive nCLE classification confirmed by an external retrospective evaluation
- 525 Downloads
Background and aims
The differential diagnosis of solitary pancreatic cystic lesions is sometimes difficult. Needle-based confocal laser endomicroscopy (nCLE) performed during endoscopic ultrasound–fine-needle aspiration (EUS-FNA) enables real-time imaging of the internal structure of such cysts. Criteria have already been described for serous cystadenoma and intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm (IPMN). The aims of the study were to determine new nCLE criteria for the diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesions, to propose a comprehensive nCLE classification for the characterization of those lesions, and to carry out a first external retrospective validation .
Thirty-three patients with a lone pancreatic cystic lesion were included (CONTACT 1 study). EUS-FNA was combined with nCLE. Diagnosis was based on either pathology result (Group 1, n = 20) or an adjudication committee consensus (Group 2, n = 13). Six investigators, unblinded, studied cases from Group 1 and identified nCLE criteria for mucinous cystic neoplasm (MCN), pseudocyst (PC), and cystic neuroendocrine neoplasm (NEN). Four external reviewers assessed, blinded, the yield and interobserver agreement for the newly identified (MCN, PC) and previously described (IPMN, SC) criteria in a subset of 31 cases.
New nCLE criteria were described for MCN (thick gray line), PC (field of bright particles), and cystic NEN (black neoplastic cells clusters with white fibrous areas). These criteria correlated with the histological features of the corresponding lesions. In the retrospective validation, a conclusive nCLE result was obtained for 74 % of the cases (87 % “true” and 13 % “false” with respect to the final diagnosis). On this limited case series, the nCLE criteria showed a trend for high diagnostic specificity (>90 % for mucinous cysts, 100 % for non-mucinous cysts).
Based on this newly completed atlas of interpretation criteria, nCLE could facilitate the diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesion types.
KeywordsEUS-FNA Pancreatic cysts Needle-based confocal laser endomicroscopy
We would like to thank all procedural nurses and staff for their assistance during procedures. We would like to thank Cécile Redon and Claire Burucoa from Mauna Kea Technologies for additional logistical support during the trial.
This study has been funded by Mauna Kea Technologies.
Compliance with ethical standards
Dr. Napoleon reports non-financial support from Mauna Kea Technologies, Grants from Mauna Kea Technologies, personal fees from Mauna Kea Technologies, during the conduct of the study; personal fees from Mauna Kea Technologies, outside the submitted work. Dr. Lemaistre reports personal fees from Mauna Kea Technologies, during the conduct of the study; personal fees from Mauna Kea Technologies, outside the submitted work. Dr. Pujol reports non-financial support from Mauna Kea Technologies, Grants from Mauna Kea Technologies, personal fees from Mauna Kea Technologies, during the conduct of the study. Dr. Caillol reports non-financial support from Mauna Kea Technologies, Grants from Mauna Kea Technologies, during the conduct of the study. Dr. Lucidarme reports non-financial support from Mauna Kea Technologies, Grants from Mauna Kea Technologies, during the conduct of the study. Drs. Bourdariat, Fumex, Lefort, Lepilliez, Monges, Morellon-Mialhe, and Poizat have nothing to disclose. Dr. Palazzo reports non-financial support from Mauna Kea Technologies, during the conduct of the study. Dr. Giovannini reports non-financial support from Mauna Kea Technologies, Grants from Mauna Kea Technologies, during the conduct of the study.
Supplementary material 1 (MP4 13414 kb)
- 1.Gardner TB, Glass LM, Smith KD, Ripple GH, Barth RJ, Klibansky DA, Colacchio TA, Tsapakos MJ, Suriawinata AA, Tsongalis GJ, Pipas JM, Gordon SR (2013) Pancreatic cyst prevalence and the risk of mucin-producing adenocarcinoma in US adults. Am J Gastroenterol 108:1546–1550CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Park WG, Mascarenhas R, Palaez-Luna M, Smyrk TC, O’Kane D, Clain JE, Levy MJ, Pearson RK, Petersen BT, Topazian MD, Vege SS, Chari ST (2011) Diagnostic performance of cyst fluid carcinoembryonic antigen and amylase in histologically confirmed pancreatic cysts. Pancreas 40:42–45CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Jais B, Rebours V, Malleo G, Salvia R, Fontana M, Maggino L, Bassi C, Manfredi R, Moran R, Lennon AM, Zaheer A, Wolfgang C, Hruban R, Marchegiani G, Fernández Del Castillo C, Brugge W, Ha Y, Kim MH, Oh D, Hirai I, Kimura W, Jang JY, Kim SW, Jung W, Kang H, Song SY, Kang CM, Lee WJ, Crippa S, Falconi M, Gomatos I, Neoptelomos J, Milanetto AC, Sperti C, Ricci C, Casadei R, Bissolati M, Balzano G, Frigerio I, Girelli R, Delhaye M, Bernier B, Wang H, Jang KT, Song DH, Huggett MT, Oppong KW, Pererva L, Kopchak KV, Del Chiaro M, Segersvard R, Lee LS, Conwell D, Osvaldt A, Campos V, Aguero Garcete G, Napoleon B, Matsumoto I, Shinzeki M, Bolado F, Urman Fernandez JM, Keane MG, Pereira SP, Araujo Acuna I, Vaquero EC, Angiolini MR, Zerbi A, Tang J, Leong RW, Faccinetto A, Morana G, Petrone MC, Arcidiacono PG, Moon JH, Choi HJ, Gill RS, Pavey D, Ouaïssi M, Sastre B, Spandre M, De Angelis CG, Rios-Vives MA, Concepcion-Martin M, Ikeura T, Okazaki K, Frulloni L,Messina O, Lévy P (2015) Pancreatic serous cystadenoma related mortality is nil. Results of a multinational study under the auspices of the International Association of Pancreatology and the European Pancreatic Club. Gut, doi:10.1136/gutjnl-2015-309638, 4 June 2015
- 15.Konda VJ, Meining A, Jamil LH, Giovannini M, Hwang JH, Wallace MB, Chang KJ, Siddiqui UD, Hart J, Lo SK, Saunders MD, Aslanian HR, Wroblewski K, Waxman I (2013) A pilot study of in vivo identification of pancreatic cystic neoplasms with needle-based confocal laser endomicroscopy under endosonographic guidance. Endoscopy 45:1006–1013CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Napoleon B, Lemaistre AI, Pujol B, Caillol F, Lucidarme D, Bourdariat R, Morellon-Mialhe B, Fumex F, Lefort C, Lepilliez V, Palazzo L, Monges G, Filoche B, Giovannini M (2015) A novel approach to the diagnosis of pancreatic serous cystadenoma: needle-based confocal laser endomicroscopy. Endoscopy 47:26–32CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Diener MK, Knaebel HP, Heukaufer C, Antes G, Büchler MW, Seiler CM (2007) A systematic review and meta-analysis of pylorus-preserving versus classical pancreaticoduodenectomy for surgical treatment of periampullary and pancreatic carcinoma. Ann Surg 245:187–200CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 23.Malleo G, Bassi C, Rossini R, Manfredi R, Butturini G, Massignani M, Paini M, Pederzoli P, Salvia R (2012) Growth pattern of serous cystic neoplasms of the pancreas: observational study with long-term magnetic resonance surveillance and recommendations for treatment. Gut 61:746–751CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar