Results of 100 consecutive laparoscopic distal pancreatectomies: postoperative outcome, cost-benefit analysis, and quality of life assessment
- 527 Downloads
Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy (LDP) has been recently proposed as the procedure of choice for lesions of the pancreatic body and tail in experienced centres. The purpose of this study is to assess the potential advantages of LDP in a consecutive series of 100 patients.
Propensity score matching was used to identify patients for comparison between LDP and control open group. Match criteria were: age, gender, ASA score, BMI, lesion site and size, and malignancy. All patients were treated according to an early feeding recovery policy. Primary endpoint was postoperative morbidity rate. Secondary endpoints were operative time, blood transfusion, length of hospital stay (LOS), hospital costs, and quality of life.
Thirty patients of the LDP group had pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Conversion to open surgery was necessary in 23 patients. Mean operative time was 29 min shorter in the open group (p = 0.002). No significant difference between groups was found in blood transfusion rate and postoperative morbidity rate. LDP was associated with an early postoperative rehabilitation and a shorter LOS in uneventful patients. Economic analysis showed € 775 extra cost per patient of the LDP group. General health perception and vitality were better in the LDP group one month after surgery.
Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy improved short-term postoperative recovery and quality of life in a consecutive series of both cancer and non-cancer patients. Despite the extra cost, the laparoscopic approach should be considered the first option in patients undergoing distal pancreatectomy.
KeywordsPancreatic cancer Pancreatectomy Quality of Life Costs Laparoscopy
Drs. Marco Braga, Nicolò Pecorelli, Denise Ferrari, Gianpaolo Balzano, Walter Zuliani, Renato Castoldi have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 3.Mabrut JY, Fernandez-Cruz L, Azagra JS, Bassi C, Delvaux G, Weerts J, Fabre JM, Boulez J, Baulieux J, Peix JL, Gigot JF, Goergen M, Ceuterick M, Melotti GL, Van Nieuwenhove Y, Dallemagne B, Adham M, De La Roche E, Hesse U, Ysebaert D, Chapelle T, Roeyen G, Aerts R, Closset J, El Nakadi I, Gelin M, Millat B, Borie F, Arvieux C, Faucheron JL, Letoublon C, Bertrand C, De Roden ADN, Navez B, Staudt JP, Dabrowski A, Hansson BME, Gouillat C, Marescaux J, Sastre B, Beguin C (2005) Laparoscopic pancreatic resection: results of a multicenter European study of 127 patients. Surgery 137(6):597–605PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Song KB, Kim SC, Park JB, Kim YH, Jung YS, Kim MH, Lee SK, Seo DW, Lee SS, Park do H, Han DJ (2011) Single-center experience of laparoscopic left pancreatic resection in 359 consecutive patients: changing the surgical paradigm of left pancreatic resection. Surg Endosc 25(10):3364–3372PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kooby DA, Hawkins WG, Schmidt CM, Weber SM, Bentrem DJ, Gillespie TW, Sellers JB, Merchant NB, Scoggins CR, Martin RC 3rd, Kim HJ, Ahmad S, Cho CS, Parikh AA, Chu CK, Hamilton NA, Doyle CJ, Pinchot S, Hayman A, McClaine R, Nakeeb A, Staley CA, McMasters KM, Lillemoe KD (2010) A multicenter analysis of distal pancreatectomy for adenocarcinoma: is laparoscopic resection appropriate? J Am Coll Surg 210(5):779–785PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Ware JE, Kosinski M, Dewey JE, Gandek B (2001) How to score and interpret single-item health status measures: a manual for users of the SF-8 health survey. Quality Metric Inc., LincolnGoogle Scholar
- 24.Montorsi M, Zerbi A, Bassi C, Capussotti L, Coppola R, Sacchi M, Italian Tachosil Study Group (2012) Efficacy of an absorbable fibrin sealant patch (TachoSil) after distal pancreatectomy: a multicenter, randomized, controlled trial. Ann Surg 256(5):853–859; discussion 859–860.Google Scholar
- 28.Kooby DA, Gillespie T, Bentrem D, Nakeeb A, Schmidt MC, Merchant NB, Parikh AA, Martin RCG, Scoggins CR, Ahmad S, Kim HJ, Park J, Johnston F, Strouch MJ, Menze A, Rymer J, McClaine R, Strasberg SM, Talamonti MS, Staley CA, McMasters KM, Lowy AM, Byrd-Sellers J, Wood WC, Hawkins WG (2008) Left-sided pancreatectomy: a multicenter comparison of laparoscopic and open approaches. Ann Surg 248(3):438–446PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Vlug MS, Wind J, Hollmann MW, Ubbink DT, Cense HA, Engel AF, Gerhards MF, van Wagensveld BA, van der Zaag ES, van Geloven AA, Sprangers MA, Cuesta MA, Bemelman WA, LAFA study group (2011) Laparoscopy in combination with fast track multimodal management is the best perioperative strategy in patients undergoing colonic surgery: a randomized clinical trial (LAFA-study). Ann Surg 254(6):868–875PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Diener MK, Seiler CM, Rossion I, Kleeff J, Glanemann M, Butturini G, Tomazic A, Bruns CJ, Busch OR, Farkas S, Belyaev O, Neoptolemos JP, Halloran C, Keck T, Niedergethmann M, Gellert K, Witzigmann H, Kollmar O, Langer P, Steger U, Neudecker J, Berrevoet F, Ganzera S, Heiss MM, Luntz SP, Bruckner T, Kieser M, Büchler MW (2011) Efficacy of stapler versus hand-sewn closure after distal pancreatectomy (DISPACT): a randomised, controlled multicentre trial. Lancet 30(377):1514–1522CrossRefGoogle Scholar