Laparoscopic and open surgical treatment of left-sided pancreatic lesions: clinical outcomes and cost-effectiveness analysis
- 550 Downloads
Previous studies comparing open distal pancreatectomy (ODP) and laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy (LDP) have found advantages related to minimal-access surgery. Few studies have compared direct and associated costs after LDP versus ODP. The purpose of the current study was to compare perioperative outcomes of patients undergoing LDP and ODP and to assess whether LDP was a cost-effective procedure compared with the traditional ODP.
A retrospective analysis of a prospectively maintained database of 52 distal pancreatic resections that were performed during a 10-year period was performed.
Patients included in the analysis were 16 in the LDP group and 29 in the ODP. Tumors operated laparoscopically were smaller than those removed at open operation, but the length of pancreatic resection was similar. The mean operating time for LDP was longer than ODP (204 ± 31 vs. 160 ± 35; P < 0.0001), whereas blood loss was higher in the open group (365 ± 215 vs. 160 ± 185, P < 0.0001). Morbidity (25 vs. 41; P = 0.373) and pancreatic fistula (18 vs. 20%; P = 0.6) rates were similar after LDP and ODP, as was 30-day mortality (0 vs. 2%; P = 0.565). LDP had a shorter mean length of hospital stay than ODP (6.4 (2.3) vs. 8.8 (1.7) days; P < 0.0001). Operative cost for LDP was higher than ODP (€2889 vs. €1989; P < 0.0001). The entire cost of the associated hospital stay was higher in the ODP group (€8955 vs. €6714; P < 0.043). The total cost was comparable in LDP and ODP groups (€9603 vs. €10944; P = 0.204).
Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy for left-sided lesions can be performed safely and effectively in selected patients, with reduced hospital stay and operative blood loss. Major complications, including pancreatic leak, were not reduced, whereas total cost was comparable between LDP and ODP. A selective use of LDP seems to be an effective and cost-efficient alternative to ODP.
KeywordsDistal pancreatectomy Laparoscopy Laparoscopic pancreatic resection Open distal pancreatectomy
Drs. Paolo Limongelli, Andrea Belli, Gianluca Russo, Luigi Cioffi, Alberto D’Agostino, Corrado Fantini, and Giulio Belli have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 6.Kooby DA, Gillespie T, Bentrem D, Nakeeb A, Schmidt MC, Merchant NB, Parikh AA, Martin RC II, Scoggins CR, Ahmad S, Kim HJ, Park J, Johnston F, Strouch MJ, Menze A, Rymer J, McClaine R, Strasberg SM, Talamonti MS, Staley CA, McMasters KM, Lowy AM, Byrd-Sellers J, Wood WC, Hawkins WG (2008) Left-sided pancreatectomy: a multicenter comparison of laparoscopic and open approaches. Ann Surg 248:438–446PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Bassi C, Dervenis MK, Butturini G, Fingerhut A, Yeo C, Izbicki J, Neoptolemos J, Sarr M, Traverso W, Buchler M, International Study Group on Pancreatic Fistula Definition (2005) Postoperative pancreatic fistula: an international study group (ISGPF) definition. Surgery 138:8–13PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Mabrut J-Y, Fernandez-Cruz L, Azagra JS, Bassi C, Delvaux G, Weerts J, Fabre JM, Boulez J, Baulieux J, Peix JL, Gigot JF; Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Section (HBPS) of the Royal Belgian Society of Surgery; Belgian Group for Endoscopic Surgery (BGES); Club Coelio (2005) Laparoscopic pancreatic resection: results of a multicenter European study of 127 patients. Surgery 137:597–605Google Scholar
- 14.Diener MK, Seiler CM, Rossion I, Kleeff J, Glanemann M, Butturini G, Tomazic A, Bruns CJ, Busch OR, Farkas S, Belyaev O, Neoptolemos JP, Halloran C, Keck T, Niedergethmann M, Gellert K, Witzigmann H, Kollmar O, Langer P, Steger U, Neudecker J, Berrevoet F, Ganzera S, Heiss MM, Luntz SP, Bruckner T, Kieser M, Büchler MW (2011) Efficacy of stapler versus hand-sewn closure after distal pancreatectomy (DISPACT): a randomised, controlled multicentre trial. Lancet 377(9776):1514–1522PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Weber SM, Cho CS, Merchant N, Pinchot S, Rettammel R, Nakeeb A, Bentrem D, Parikh A, Mazo AE, Martin RC III, Scoggins CR, Ahmad SA, Kim HJ, Hamilton N, Hawkins W, Max Schmidt C, Kooby DA (2009) Laparoscopic left pancreatectomy: complication risk score correlates with morbidity and risk for pancreatic fistula. Ann Surg Oncol 16(10):2825–2833PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Cho CS, Kooby DA, Schmidt CM, Nakeeb A, Bentrem DJ, Merchant NB, Parikh AA, Martin RC II, Scoggins CR, Ahmad SA, Kim HJ, Hamilton N, Hawkins WG, Weber SM (2011) Laparoscopic versus open left pancreatectomy: can preoperative factors indicate the safer technique? Ann Surg 253(5):975–980PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Baker MS, Bentrem DJ, Ujiki MB, Stocker S, Talamonti MS (2011) Adding days spent in readmission to the initial postoperative length of stay limits the perceived benefit of laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy when compared with open distal pancreatectomy. Am J Surg 201(3):295–299 discussion 299-300PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar