Cost of laparoscopy and laparotomy in the surgical treatment of colorectal cancer
- 369 Downloads
The comparative costs of laparoscopy and laparotomy in surgical resection of colorectal cancer, especially of the hospital provider, have not yet been assessed in the perspective of the Italian National Healthcare System. This paper aims to fill this gap by providing economic information on this research topic of growing relevance at a time of reduced healthcare budgets.
Three Italian reference centres retrospectively provided from their databases data on 90 cases of laparotomy (OP) or laparoscopy (LAP) interventions for right colon (RCol), left colon/sigma (LCol) and rectum (Rec). Costs were retrieved according to phases of the in-hospital procedure: pre-operative, operative and post-operative phase, including diagnostic work-up, hospital length of stay, duration of intervention, theatre occupation time, type of anaesthesia, medical devices and drugs used and staff time throughout the management process from hospital admission to discharge. The cost estimation was carried out using a microcosting, bottom-up technique, and statistical analysis was carried out using appropriate techniques.
The average cost of colorectal surgery was €10,539/patient (median €10,396) with rectum procedures being statistically more costly than colon procedures (mean Rec €12,562/patient versus LCol €9,054 and RCol €10,002; median €11,704 versus €8,941 and €9,513, respectively; p < 0.0001). The average cost per patient did not differ between the two procedures for colon interventions, whereas a statistically significant difference was found for rectum procedures (LAP €11,617 versus OP €13,506; median €11,563 versus €12,568; p = 0.0442). The national diagnosis related groups (DRG) tariff is insufficient to remunerate the providers’ activity, irrespective of the type of disease (surgical site) and surgical technique adopted.
Colorectal cancer surgery is a costly procedure, and in-patient DRG tariffs are currently insufficient to cover the cost of its management for Italian hospital providers.
KeywordsColorectal cancer Surgery Laparoscopy Laparotomy Economics Cost
This work was sponsored by an unrestricted grant from Ethicon Endo-Surgery Italy.
Authors Berto, Lopatriello, Aiello, Corcione, Spinoglio, Trapani, and Melotti have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 1.IARC WHO Agency for Research on Cancer. GLOBOCAN 2008: Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide 2010 [cited 2010 Sep 20]Google Scholar
- 2.AIOM. I Tumori del Colon-Retto 2009 Sep 11 [cited 2010 Sep 20]Google Scholar
- 11.Araujo SE, da Silva eSousa AH Jr, de Campos FG, Habr-Gama A, Dumarco RB, Caravatto PP, Nahas SC, da SJ, Kiss DR, Gama-Rodrigues JJ (2003) Conventional approach x laparoscopic abdominoperineal resection for rectal cancer treatment after neoadjuvant chemoradiation: results of a prospective randomized trial. Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo 58(3):133–140PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Guillou PJ, Quirke P, Thorpe H, Walker J, Jayne DG, Smith AM, Heath RM, Brown JM (2005) Short-term endpoints of conventional versus laparoscopic-assisted surgery in patients with colorectal cancer (MRC CLASICC trial): multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 365(9472):1718–1726PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Jane D (2009) Chirurgia Laparoscopica del Colon. Il Sole 24 ORE - Sanità, 10-12Google Scholar
- 42.HAS Haute Autorité de Santé (2005) Coelioscopie en chirurgie du cancer colorectalGoogle Scholar
- 46.NICE (2006) Colorectal cancer - laparoscopic surgery (review)Google Scholar
- 53.Berto P (2010) HTA e valutazioni economiche. In: De Rosa M, Scroccaro G (eds) Applicazione delle tecniche HTA alla valutazione di Farmaci e Dispositivi Medici. Multimedia, MilanoGoogle Scholar
- 54.Torbica A, Tarricone R, Calciolari S, Branca V, Gaini M (2009) Analisi dei costi del trattamento dell’aneurisma intracranico in Italia. Pharmacoecon Ital Res Articles 11(1):25–37Google Scholar
- 55.SIMS/SUMAI (2006) Tempi Medi di Attività Modalità di Esecuzione Nomenclatore delle Prestazioni Specialistiche Ambulatoriali Territoriali; Prima EdizioneGoogle Scholar
- 56.GIOFIL (2009) Prontuario Farmaci del Sistema Sanitario Nazionale, July 20Google Scholar
- 57.Ministero della Salute (2006) Aggiornamento delle tariffe delle prestazioni di assistenza ospedaliera. Decreto Ministeriale, Dec 13Google Scholar