Laparoscopy-assisted resection for gastric stump cancer and gastric stump recurrent cancer: a report of 15 cases
- 217 Downloads
This study was designed to investigate the technical methods and clinical therapeutic effects of laparoscopy-assisted resection of gastric stump cancer (GSC).
Laparoscopy-assisted resection was performed on 15 patients with GSC. The approach, method, difficult points, and techniques of the operation were analyzed, and its clinical therapeutic effect was evaluated.
With the help of laparoscopy, D2 radical resection of gastric stump was performed on 12 patients, and palliative gastric stump resection was performed on two patients. There was one case of conversion from laparoscopic surgery to open surgery. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass was performed in all cases to reconstruct the alimentary tract. The mean operative time for laparoscopy-assisted resection was 205 ± 25 min. The mean intraoperative blood loss volume was 110 ± 40 ml. The mean number of lymph nodes removed was 18 ± 5. A gastric tube was not placed in the patients after surgery. The mean time for the recovery of intestinal function was 2.5 ± 1 days, the mean duration of postoperative liquid diet was 2.5 ± 1 days, and the mean time for the recovery of ambulatory activity was 3 ± 0.5 days. There was one case of postoperative infection of the incision site. The follow-up time was 6–40 months, with 1 case of death due to liver metastasis, 1 case of death due to peritoneal metastasis, 1 case of death due to complications from lupus erythematosus, and survival for the remaining 12 cases.
Laparoscopy-assisted resection of GSC is technically feasible; determination of the short- and long-term efficacies will require a larger and comparative sample study.
KeywordsGastric stump cancer Laparoscopy Gastrectomy
Drs. Qian, Yu, Hao, Sun, Tang, Shi, Zhao, Lan, Luo, and Mo have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 4.Qian F, Tang B, Shi Y, Zhao Y, Luo H, Sun G, Mo A, Yu P (2008) Remnant stomach-jejunal dual pathways reconstruction after laparoscope-assisted radical proximal gastrectomy [in Chinese]. Chin J Digest Surg 7(3):174–176Google Scholar
- 5.Qian F, Yu P, Wang Z, Tang B, Shi Y, Zhao Y, Luo H, Sun G (2008) Laparoscopic total gastrectomy for gastric cancer [in Chinese]. Chin J Gen Surg 23(4):262–264Google Scholar
- 7.Qin X, Liu F (2009) Emphasis on the diagnosis and treatment of the early remnant gastric stump carcinoma [in Chinese]. Chin J Pract Surg 29(10):798–799Google Scholar
- 8.Tanigawa N, Nomura E, Niki M (2000) Surgical treatment and its results of cancer in the remnant stomach [in Japanese]. Shokakigtka 23(7):1139–1148Google Scholar
- 10.Kim W, Lee JH, Kim JJ, Chin HM, Jeon HM, Park CH, Park SM, Park WB, Lim KW, Kim SN (2004) Clinical analysis of the gastric stump cancer. J Korean Surg Soc 66:177–182Google Scholar
- 14.Park JH, Lee YJ, Jeong CY, Ju YT, Jung EJ, Hong SC, Choi SK, Ha WS, Park ST (2008) The laparoscopic approach for gastric remnant cancer. J Korean Surg Soc 74(6):418–423Google Scholar