Care within a Veterans Hospital
- 59 Downloads
In 1998 the Veterans Administration mandated an externally monitored targeted colon cancer screening rate that was expected to result in earlier cancer detection and improved patient survival. The effectiveness of the protocol was evaluated in a retrospective case series at a tertiary care Veterans Administration Hospital that included all patients with the diagnosis of colon cancer between 1991 and 2003.
Tumor stage, tumor location, and patient survival data were recorded and compared to National Cancer Data Base (NCDB) benchmarks.
The study facility had a greater percentage of early cancers and fewer later stage cancers than the NCDB benchmark. Overall survival was better for the VA cohort compared to NCDB (all-cause 5-year survival: VA, 0.72; NCDB, 0.47. p ≤ .001).
The VA facility had a significantly greater percentage of early cancers and fewer stage III or IV cancers compared to a national benchmark and significantly improved survival compared to the national benchmark.
KeywordsColorectal cancer Colon cancer Screening Cancer staging Veterans Affairs Health Care System Performance measure
- 8.Fleming ID, Cooper JS, Hensen DE, Hutter RV, Kennedy BJ, Murphy GP, et al. (1997) American Joint Commission on Cancer (AJCC) Staging Manual, Fifth Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott-RavenGoogle Scholar
- 21.Public Access NCDB Benchmark Reports. National Cancer Data Base: American College of Surgeons. http://www.web.facs.org/ncdbbmr/ncdbbenchmarks.cfm. Accessed February 15, 2005
- 22.Public Access NCDB Survival Reports. National Cancer Data Base: American College of Surgeons. http://www.web.facs.org/ncdbr/surv.cfm. Accessed February 15, 2005
- 25.Seeff LC, Nadel MR, Blackman D (2003) Colorectal cancer test use among persons aged >50 years—United States. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 52: 193–196Google Scholar
- 29.VHA Performance Measurement Data: EPRP Reports. Office of Quality, Performance, Veterans Health Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs 1999–2003Google Scholar
- 32.Winawer S, Fletcher R, Rex D, Bond J, Burt R, Ferrucci J, Ganiats T, Levin T, Woolf S, Johnson D, Kirk L, Litin S, Simmang C, Gastrointestinal Consortium Panel (2003) Colorectal cancer screening and surveillance: clinical guidelines and rationale—Update based on new evidence. Gastroenterology 124: 544–560PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Winawer SJ, Zauber AG, Ho MN, O’Brien MJ, Gottlieb LS, Sternberg SS, Waye JD, Schapiro M, Bond JH, Panish JF, Ackroyd F, Shike M, Kurtz RC, Hornsby-Lewis L, Gerdes H, Stewart ET, The National Poly Study Workgroup (1993) Prevention of colorectal cancer by colonoscopic polypectomy. The National Polyp Study Workgroup. N Engl J Med 329: 1977–1981PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar