Impact of hospital case volume on short-term outcome after laparoscopic operation for colonic cancer
- 282 Downloads
High hospital case volume has been associated with improved outcome after open operation for colorectal malignancies.
To assess the impact of hospital case volume on short-term outcome after laparoscopic operation for colon cancer, we conducted an analysis of patients who underwent laparoscopic colon resection within the COlon Cancer Laparoscopic or Open Resection (COLOR) trial.
A total of 536 patients with adenocarcinoma of the colon were included in the analysis. Median operating time was 240, 210 and 188 min in centers with low, medium, and high case volumes, respectively (p < 0.001). A significant difference in conversion rate was observed among low, medium, and high case volume hospitals (24% vs 24% vs 9%; p < 0.001). A higher number of lymph nodes were harvested at high case volume hospitals (p < 0.001). After operation, fewer complications (p = 0.006) and a shorter hospital stay (p < 0.001) were observed in patients treated at hospitals with high caseloads.
Laparoscopic operation for colon cancer at hospitals with high caseloads appears to be associated with improved short-term results.
KeywordsLaparoscopy Colon cancer Case volume Caseload Cancer
We are grateful to Ethicon Endo-Surgery for its support of the trial and to J. G. van Duuren–van Pelt for management of the data.
- 8.Fleming, ID, Cooper, JS, Henson, DE, Hutler, RVP, Kennedy, BJ, Murphy, GP, O’Sullivan, B, Yarbro, JW 1997AJCC cancer staging manual5Wiley-LissNew YorkGoogle Scholar
- 12.Meyerhardt, JA, Tepper, JE, Niedzwiecki, D, Hollis, DR, Schrag, D, Ayanian, JZ, O’Connell, MJ, et al. 2004Impact of hospital procedure volume on surgical operation and long-term outcomes in high-risk curatively resected rectal cancer: findings from the Intergroup 0114 StudyJ Clin Oncol22166174PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Nduka, CC, Monson, JR, Menzies-Gow, N 1994Abdominal wall metastases following laparoscopyBr J Surg81648652Google Scholar
- 14.Phillips, EH, Franklin, M, Carroll, BJ, Falls, MJ, Ramos, R, Rosenthal, D 1992Laparoscopic colectomyAnn Surg216702707Google Scholar
- 20.Zingmond, D, Maggard, M, O’Connell, J, Liu, J, Etzioni, D, Ko, C 2003What predicts serious complications in colorectal cancer resection?Am Surg69369974Google Scholar