Laparoscopic hepatic resection
Although laparoscopy in general surgery is increasingly being performed, only recently has liver surgery been performed with laparoscopy. We critically review our experience with laparoscopic liver resections.
From January 2000 to April 2004, we performed laparoscopic hepatic resection in 16 patients with 18 hepatic lesions. Nine lesions were benign in seven patients (five hydatid cysts, three hemangiomas, and one simple cyst), five were malignant in five patients (five hepatocarcinoma), and four patients had an uncertain preoperative diagnosis (one suspected hemangioma and three suspected adenomas). The mean lesion size was 5.2 cm (range, 1–12). Twelve lesions were located in the left lobe, three were in segment VI, one was in segment V, one was in segment IV, and one was in the subcapsular part of segment VIII.
The conversion rate was 6.2%; intraoperative bleeding requiring blood transfusions occurred in two patients. Mean operative time was 120 min. Mean hospital stay was 4 days (range, 2–7). There were no major postoperative complications and no mortality.
Hepatic resection with laparoscopy is feasible in malignant and benign hepatic lesions located in the left lobe and anterior inferior right lobe segments (IV, V, and VI). Results are similar to those of the open surgical technique in carefully selected cases, although studies with large numbers of patients are necessary to drawn definite conclusions.
KeywordsLaparoscopy Liver resection
- 5.Casado OA, Gonzales EM, Segurola CL, Calvo AG, Pinto IG, Saborido BP, Crespo GP, Johansson CO (2000) Results of 22 years of experience in radical surgical treatment of hepatic hydatid cysts. Hepato-Gastroenterology 48: 235–243Google Scholar
- 10.Descottes B, Lachachi F, Durand-Fontanier S, Sodji M, Pech de Laclause B, Valleix D (2000) Traitement laparoscopique des tumeurs solides ete kystiques du foie. Etude de 33 cas. Ann Chir 125: 941–947Google Scholar
- 13.Gigot JF, Glineur D, Santiago Azagra J, et al Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Section of the Royal Belgian Society of Surgery and the Belgian Group for Endoscopic Surgery (2002) Laparoscopic liver resection for malignant liver tumors: preliminary results of a multicenter European study. Ann Surg 236: 90–97CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Huscher CGS, Lirici MM, Chiodini S (1998) Laparoscopic liver resection. Semin Laparoscopic Surg 5: 204–210Google Scholar
- 19.La Porte L, Hamy A, Paineau J, Visset J (1996) Chirurgie coelioscopique pour tumeur bénigne du foie. J Chir 9/10: 432–436Google Scholar