On the Nonexistence of k-reptile Tetrahedra
- 120 Downloads
A d-dimensional simplex S is called a k-reptile if it can be tiled without overlaps by simplices S 1,S 2,…,S k that are all mutually congruent, and similar to S. For d=2, k-reptile simplices (triangles) exist for many values of k, and they have been completely characterized by Snover, Waiveris, and Williams. On the other hand, for d≥3, only one construction of k-reptile simplices is known, the Hill simplices, and it provides only k of the form m d , m=2,3,….
We prove that for d=3, k-reptile simplices (tetrahedra) exist only for k=m 3. This partially confirms a conjecture of Hertel, asserting that the only k-reptile tetrahedra are the Hill tetrahedra.
Our research has been motivated by the problem of probabilistic packet marking in theoretical computer science, introduced by Adler in 2002.
KeywordsReptile Tiling Self-similarity Geometry of a simplex
- 1.Adler, M.: Tradeoffs in probabilistic packet marking for IP traceback. In: Proc. 34th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 407–418 (2002) Google Scholar
- 2.Adler, M., Edmonds, J., Matoušek, J.: Towards asymptotic optimality in probabilistic packet marking. In: Proc. 37th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 450–459 (2005) Google Scholar
- 5.Debrunner, H.E.: Tiling Euclidean d-space with congruent simplexes. In: Discrete Geometry and Convexity, New York, 1982. Ann. New York Acad. Sci., vol. 440, pp. 230–261. New York Acad. Sci., New York (1985) Google Scholar
- 7.Fiedler, M.: Matrices and graphs in Euclidean geometry. Preprint ITI Series 2001-041, Institute for Theoretical Computer Science, Charles University, Prague (2001) (in Czech) Google Scholar
- 12.Hill, M.J.M.: Determination of the volumes of certain species of tetrahedra without employment of the method of limits. Proc. Lond. Math. Soc. 2, 39–53 (1895–1896) Google Scholar
- 13.Jahnel, J.: When is the (co)sine of a rational angle equal to a rational number? Preprint, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, http://www.uni-math.gwdg.de/jahnel/Preprints/cos.pdf (2010)
- 14.Kynčl, J., Safernová, Z.: On the nonexistence of k-reptile simplices in R 4. Manuscript in preparation (2011) Google Scholar
- 17.Pak, I.: Lectures on Discrete and Polyhedral Geometry. Book in preparation, available at http://www.math.ucla.edu/pak/book.htm (2009)
- 18.Safernová, Z.: Perfect tilings of simplices. Bc. degree thesis. Charles University, Prague (2008) (in Czech) Google Scholar
- 20.Smith, W.D.: Pythagorean triples, rational angles, and space-filling simplices. Preprint (2003). Retrieved from http://www.math.temple.edu/wds/homepage/diophant.pdf in April 2010