A framework for parallel large-scale global optimization
- 138 Downloads
The paper describes the design and implementation of BNB-Solver, an object-oriented framework for discrete and continuous parallel global optimization. The framework supports exact branch-and-bound algorithms, heuristic methods and hybrid approaches. BNB-Solver provides a support for distributed and shared memory architectures. The implementation for distributed memory machines is based on MPI and thus can run on almost any computational cluster. In order to take advantages of multicore processors we provide a separate multi-threaded implementation for shared memory platforms. We introduce a novel collaborative scheme for combining exact and heuristic search methods that provides the support for sophisticated parallel heuristics and convenient balancing between exact and heuristic methods. In the experimental results section we discuss a nonlinear programming solver and a highly efficient knapsack solver that significantly outperforms existing parallel implementations.
KeywordsParallel global optimization Branch-and-bound methods Heuristic methods, knapsack problems Nonlinear programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ananth G, Kumar V, Pardalos P (1993) Parallel processing of discrete optimization problems. Encycl Microcomput 13:129–147Google Scholar
- 4.Crainic TG, Le Cun B, Roucairol C (2006) Parallel branch and bound algorithms. In: Parallel Combinatorial Optimization, Chap 1, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, pp 1–28Google Scholar
- 5.Crainic TG, Toulouse M (2002) Parallel Strategies for Metaheuristics. In: Glover F, Kochenberger G (eds) State-of-the-Art Hand-book in Metaheuristics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, pp 475–513Google Scholar
- 7.Drepper U, Molnar I (2005) The Native POSIX Thread Library for Linux. http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf. Last access: 13 May 2009Google Scholar
- 8.Eckstein J, Philips C, Hart W (2006) PEBBL 1.0 User Guide. RUTCOR Research Report RRR 19-2006. http://rutcor.rutgers.edu/pub/rrr/reports2006/19_2006.ps. Last access: 13 May 2009Google Scholar
- 13.Snir M, Otto S, Huss-Lederman S, Walker D, Dongarra J (1996) MPI: The Complete Reference. MIT Press, BostonGoogle Scholar
- 14.Tschöke S, Holthöfer N (1995) A new parallel approach to the constrained two-dimensional cutting stock problem. In: Parallel Algorithms for Irregularly Structured Problems, LNCS 980, pp 285–300, Springer, LondonGoogle Scholar