Parallel scalable PDE-constrained optimization: antenna identification in hyperthermia cancer treatment planning
- 126 Downloads
We present a PDE-constrained optimization algorithm which is designed for parallel scalability on distributed-memory architectures with thousands of cores. The method is based on a line-search interior-point algorithm for large-scale continuous optimization, it is matrix-free in that it does not require the factorization of derivative matrices. Instead, it uses a new parallel and robust iterative linear solver on distributed-memory architectures. We will show almost linear parallel scalability results for the complete optimization problem, which is a new emerging important biomedical application and is related to antenna identification in hyperthermia cancer treatment planning.
KeywordsPDE-constrained optimization Large-scale parallel optimization Biomedical application Saddle-point matrices Sparse liner solver
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Byrd RH, Curtis FE, Nocedal J (2009) An inexact Newton method for nonconvex equality constrained optimization. Math Progr A (doi:0.1007/s10107-008-0248-3)Google Scholar
- 6.Curtis FE, Nocedal J, Wächter A (2008) A matrix-free algorithm for equality constrained optimization problems with rank deficient jacobians. SIAM J Optim (submitted)Google Scholar
- 7.Curtis FE, Schenk O, Wächter A (2009) An interior-point algorithm for large-scale nonlinear optimization with inexact step computations. IBM Research Report RC 24736. SIAM J Sci Comput (submitted)Google Scholar
- 9.Fisher M, Nocedal J, Trémolet Y, Wright SJ (2008) Data assimilation in weather forecasting: A case study in PDE-constrained optimization. Optim Eng. doi:10.1007/s11081-008-9051-5Google Scholar
- 12.Neufeld E (2008) High Resolution Hyperthermia Treatment Planning. PhD thesis, ETH ZurichGoogle Scholar
- 13.Pennes HH (1948) Analysis of tissue and arterial blood temperatures in the resting human forearm. J Appl Physiol 1(2):93–122Google Scholar
- 23.Young DP, Huffman WP, Melvin RG, Hilmes CL, Johnson FT (2003) Nonlinear elimination in aerodynamic analysis and design optimization. In: Biegler LT, Ghattas O, Heinkenschloss M, v Bloemen-Waanders B (eds) Large-Scale PDE-Constrained Optimization, Springer, New York, pp 17–44Google Scholar