Massively parallel rigid body dynamics simulations
For decades, rigid body dynamics has been used in several active research fields to simulate the behavior of completely undeformable, rigid bodies. Due to the focus of the simulations to either high physical accuracy or real time environments, the state-of-the-art algorithms cannot be used in excess of several thousand rigid bodies. Either the complexity of the algorithms would result in infeasible runtimes, or the simulation could no longer satisfy the real time aspects.
In this paper we present a novel approach for large-scale rigid body dynamics simulations. The presented algorithm enables for the first time rigid body simulations of several million rigid bodies. We describe in detail the parallel rigid body algorithm and its necessary extensions for a large-scale MPI parallelization and analyze the parallel algorithm by means of a particular simulation scenario.
KeywordsRigid body dynamics Parallel algorithms Parallel programming Parallel frameworks Massively parallel Large-scale MPI Parallelization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cottle R, Pang J, Stone R (1992) The Linear Complementarity Problem. Academic Press, Inc.Google Scholar
- 5.Anitescu M (2006) Optimization-based simulation of nonsmooth rigid multibody dynamics. Math Program 105(1):113–143, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10107-005-0590-7
- 6.Preclik T (2008) Iterative rigid multibody dynamics. Diploma thesis, Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Computer Science 10 – Systemsimulation. Computer Science Department 10 (System Simulation), University of Erlangen-NurembergGoogle Scholar
- 7.Millington I (2007) Game Physics Engine Development. Series in Interactive 3D Technology. Morgan KaufmannGoogle Scholar
- 8.Eberly D (2003) Game Physics. Series in Interactive 3D Technology. Morgan KaufmannGoogle Scholar
- 10.Gropp W, Skjellum A, Lusk E (1999) Using MPI, 2nd edn. Portable Parallel Programming with the Message Passing Interface. MIT PressGoogle Scholar
- 11.Tasora A, Negrut D, Anitescu M (2008) Large-scale parallel multi-body dynamics with frictional contact on the graphical processing unit. Proc. Inst. of Mech. Eng., Part K. J Multi-body Dyn 222(4):315–326Google Scholar
- 12.Homepage of the Open Dynamics Engine (ODE): http://www.ode.org/
- 13.Homepage of the OpenTissue simulation framework: http://www.opentissue.org
- 15.Wengenroth H (2007) Rigid body collisions. Master’s thesis, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Computer Science 10 – Systemsimulation. Computer Science Department 10 (System Simulation), University of Erlangen-NurembergGoogle Scholar
- 16.Homepage of the Regional Computing Center Erlangen (RRZE): http://www.rrze.uni-erlangen.de
- 17.Erleben K, Sporring J, Henriksen K (2005) Physics-Based Animation. DelmarGoogle Scholar