Synthesis of nylon 4 from gamma-aminobutyrate (GABA) produced by recombinant Escherichia coli
- 1.1k Downloads
In this study, we developed recombinant Escherichia coli strains expressing Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis Il1403 glutamate decarboxylase (GadB) for the production of GABA from glutamate monosodium salt (MSG). Syntheses of GABA from MSG were examined by employing recombinant E. coli XL1-Blue as a whole cell biocatalyst in buffer solution. By increasing the concentration of E. coli XL1-Blue expressing GadB from the OD600 of 2–10, the concentration and conversion yield of GABA produced from 10 g/L of MSG could be increased from 4.3 to 4.8 g/L and from 70 to 78 %, respectively. Furthermore, E. coli XL1-Blue expressing GadB highly concentrated to the OD600 of 100 produced 76.2 g/L of GABA from 200 g/L of MSG with 62.4 % of GABA yield. Finally, nylon 4 could be synthesized by the bulk polymerization using 2-pyrrolidone that was prepared from microbially synthesized GABA by the reaction with Al2O3 as catalyst in toluene with the yield of 96 %.
KeywordsGamma-aminobutyrate (GABA) MSG Bioconversion Recombinant E. coli Glutamate decarboxylase 2-Pyrrolodine Nylon 4
This work was supported by the R&D Program of MKE/KEIT (10033199 and 10033386) and a grant from the Next-Generation BioGreen 21 Program (SSAC, grant number: PJ008057), Rural Development Administration, Republic of Korea. Further support from Priority Research Centers Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the MEST (2012-0006693) is appreciated.
- 1.Roberts E, Frankel S (1951) Glutamic acid decarboxylase in brain. J Biol Chem 188:789–795Google Scholar
- 2.Stanton HC (1963) Mode of action of gamma aminobutyric acid on the cardiovascular system. Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther 143:195–204Google Scholar
- 8.Cho HH, Jeon JW, Lee MH, Lee SH, Kwon ST (2011) Structure and physical properties of variously drawn nylon 6- ran-nylon 4 copolymer fibers. Text Sci Eng 48:150–155Google Scholar
- 15.Pennacchietti E, Lammens TM, Capitani G, Franssen MC, John RA, Bossa F, De Biase D (2009) Mutation of His465 alters the pH-dependent spectroscopic properties of Escherichia coli glutamate decarboxylase and broadens the range of its activity toward more alkaline pH. J Biol Chem 284:31587–31596CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Rathnasingh C, Raj SM, Jo JE, Park S (2009) Development and evaluation of efficient recombinant Escherichia coli strains for the production of 3-hydroxypropionic acid from glycerol. Biotechnol Bioeng 104:729–739Google Scholar
- 19.Yim H, Haselbeck R, Niu W, Pujol-Baxley C, Burgard A, Boldt J, Khandurina J, Trawick JD, Osterhout RE, Stephen R, Estadilla J, Teisan S, Schreyer HB, Andrae S, Yang TH, Lee SY, Burk MJ, Van Dien S (2011) Metabolic engineering of Escherichia coli for direct production of 1,4-butanediol. Nat Chem Biol 7:445–452CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Saskiawan I (2008) Biosynthesis of polyamide 4, a biobased and biodegradable polymer. Microbiol Indones 2:119–123Google Scholar