Associations of cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase genetic polymorphisms with smoking cessation in a Chinese population
- 518 Downloads
Recently, a single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) A503V (rs1057868) in cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase (POR) gene was reported to influence nicotine metabolism. Considering the importance of nicotine metabolism to smoking cessation, the aim of this study was to investigate the association between POR gene polymorphisms and smoking cessation in a Chinese population. A case–control study was conducted with 363 successful smoking quitters as the cases, and 345 failed smoking quitters as the controls. Eight tagSNPs which cover the entire gene and four functional SNPs were selected and genotyped. Logistic regression was used to explore the relationship between POR SNPs and smoking cessation in codominant, additive, dominant and recessive models. After adjustment for potential confounders, multiple logistic regression analysis indicated that POR rs3823884 and rs3898649 were associated with increased possibility of smoking cessation. Meanwhile, POR rs17685 and rs239953 were shown to have negative effect on successful smoking cessation. No significant differences in the distribution of haplotypes between cases and controls were detected. In conclusion, this study reveals that four SNPs in the POR gene (rs3823884, rs3898649, rs239953 and rs17685) may affect the susceptibility of smoking cessation in a Chinese Han population.
KeywordsSmoking Cessation Minor Allele Frequency Flavin Adenine Dinucleotide Nicotine Metabolism Smoking Onset
This study is sponsored by a Grant from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No: 81273150). We thank the local Health Bureau, local Center for Disease Control and Prevention, other relevant governments and persons, the investigators, and respondents for their support to this research.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
This study was funded by a Grant from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No: 81273150).
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- Benowitz NL, Hukkanen J, Jacob P, 3rd (2009) Nicotine chemistry, metabolism, kinetics and biomarkers. Handb Exp Pharmacol: 29–60. doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-69248-5_2
- Chenoweth MJ, Novalen M, Hawk LW Jr, Schnoll RA, George TP, Cinciripini PM, Lerman C, Tyndale RF (2014a) Known and novel sources of variability in the nicotine metabolite ratio in a large sample of treatment-seeking smokers. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev 23:1773–1782. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.epi-14-0427 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chenoweth MJ, Zhu AZ, Sanderson Cox L, Ahluwalia JS, Benowitz NL, Tyndale RF (2014b) Variation in P450 oxidoreductase (POR) A503V and flavin-containing monooxygenase (FMO)-3 E158 K is associated with minor alterations in nicotine metabolism, but does not alter cigarette consumption. Pharmacogenet Genom 24:172–176. doi: 10.1097/fpc.0000000000000031 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chenoweth MJ, Schnoll RA, Novalen M, Hawk LW Jr, George TP, Cinciripini PM, Lerman C, Tyndale RF (2016) The nicotine metabolite ratio is associated with early smoking abstinence even after controlling for factors that influence the nicotine metabolite ratio. Nicotine Tob Res 18:491–495. doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntv125 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- de Jonge H, Metalidis C, Naesens M, Lambrechts D, Kuypers DR (2011) The P450 oxidoreductase *28 SNP is associated with low initial tacrolimus exposure and increased dose requirements in CYP3A5-expressing renal recipients. Pharmacogenomics 12:1281–1291. doi: 10.2217/pgs.11.77 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gu J, Weng Y, Zhang QY, Cui H, Behr M, Wu L, Yang W, Zhang L, Ding X (2003) Liver-specific deletion of the NADPH-cytochrome P450 reductase gene: impact on plasma cholesterol homeostasis and the function and regulation of microsomal cytochrome P450 and heme oxygenase. J Biol Chem 278:25895–25901. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M303125200 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Huang N, Pandey AV, Agrawal V, Reardon W, Lapunzina PD, Mowat D, Jabs EW, Van Vliet G, Sack J, Fluck CE, Miller WL (2005) Diversity and function of mutations in P450 oxidoreductase in patients with Antley-Bixler syndrome and disordered steroidogenesis. Am J Hum Genet 76:729–749. doi: 10.1086/429417 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Mons U, Muezzinler A, Gellert C, Schottker B, Abnet CC et al (2015) Impact of smoking and smoking cessation on cardiovascular events and mortality among older adults: meta-analysis of individual participant data from prospective cohort studies of the CHANCES consortium. BMJ 350:h1551. doi: 10.1136/bmj.h1551 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Mwenifumbo JC, Tyndale RF (2009) Molecular genetics of nicotine metabolism. Handb Exp Pharmacol: 235–259. doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-69248-5_9
- Saito Y, Yamamoto N, Katori N, Maekawa K, Fukushima-Uesaka H, Sugimoto D, Kurose K, Sai K, Kaniwa N, Sawada J, Kunitoh H, Ohe Y, Yoshida T, Matsumura Y, Saijo N, Okuda H, Tamura T (2011) Genetic polymorphisms and haplotypes of POR, encoding cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase, in a Japanese population. Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 26:107–116. doi: 10.2133/dmpk.DMPK-10-SC-096 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Schnoll RA, George TP, Hawk L, Cinciripini P, Wileyto P, Tyndale RF (2014) The relationship between the nicotine metabolite ratio and three self-report measures of nicotine dependence across sex and race. Psychopharmacology 231:2515–2523. doi: 10.1007/s00213-013-3421-1 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tamaki Y, Arai T, Sugimura H, Sasaki T, Honda M, Muroi Y, Matsubara Y, Kanno S, Ishikawa M, Hirasawa N, Hiratsuka M (2011) Association between cancer risk and drug-metabolizing enzyme gene (CYP2A6, CYP2A13, CYP4B1, SULT1A1, GSTM1, and GSTT1) polymorphisms in cases of lung cancer in Japan. Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 26:516–522. doi: 10.2133/dmpk.DMPK-11-RG-046 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Vaz LR, Coleman T, Cooper S, Aveyard P, Leonardi-Bee J, SNAP trial team (2015) The nicotine metabolite ratio in pregnancy measured by trans-3′-hydroxycotinine to cotinine ratio: characteristics and relationship with smoking cessation. Nicotine Tob Res 17:1318–1323. doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntu342 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization (1998) Guidelines for controlling and monitoring the tobacco epidemicGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization (2015) WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic, 2015: Raising taxes on tobaccoGoogle Scholar
- Wu L, Gu J, Cui H, Zhang QY, Behr M, Fang C, Weng Y, Kluetzman K, Swiatek PJ, Yang W, Kaminsky L, Ding X (2005) Transgenic mice with a hypomorphic NADPH-cytochrome P450 reductase gene: effects on development, reproduction, and microsomal cytochrome P450. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 312:35–43. doi: 10.1124/jpet.104.073353 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Xian H, Scherrer JF, Madden PA, Lyons MJ, Tsuang M, True WR, Eisen SA (2005) Latent class typology of nicotine withdrawal: genetic contributions and association with failed smoking cessation and psychiatric disorders. Psychol Med 35:409–419. doi: 10.1017/S0033291704003289 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yang G (2011) Global adult tobacco survey (GATS) China 2010 Country Report. Chinese Three Gorge Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Yang GFZ, Chen X, Yuan H, Yang H, Huang Y, Ouyang D, Tan Z, Tan H, Huang Z, Zhou H (2011) Effects of the CYP oxidoreductase Ala503Val polymorphism on CYP3A activity in vivo: a randomized, open-label, crossover study in healthy Chinese men. Clin Ther 33:2060–2070. doi: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2011.11.004 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yuan JM, Nelson HH, Butler LM, Carmella SG, Wang R, Kuriger-Laber JK, Adams-Haduch J, Hecht SS, Gao YT, Murphy SE (2016) Genetic determinants of cytochrome P450 2A6 activity and biomarkers of tobacco smoke exposure in relation to risk of lung cancer development in the Shanghai cohort study. Int J Cancer 138:2161–2171. doi: 10.1002/ijc.29963 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhang X, Li L, Ding X, Kaminsky LS (2011) Identification of cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase gene variants that are significantly associated with the interindividual variations in warfarin maintenance dose. Drug Metab Dispos 39:1433–1439. doi: 10.1124/dmd.111.038836 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar