Mutational analysis of BRAF and K-ras in gastric cancers: absence of BRAF mutations in gastric cancers
- 321 Downloads
Recently, BRAF mutations were found in a variety of human cancers. Interestingly, the most common of BRAF mutation (V599E) has not been identified in tumors with K-ras mutations. Whereas the majority of human cancer types has been screened for BRAF mutations, no detailed studies on gastric cancers have been investigated. Thus, we decided to investigate the incidence of BRAF mutations in gastric cancers, and the relationship between BRAF and K-ras mutations in such cancers. Three non-pathogenic BRAF polymorphisms and seven K-ras missense mutations were found in 66 gastric cancers and 16 gastric cancer cell lines. Although only 9% of our gastric cancer panels had K-ras mutations, the incidence of BRAF mutations was not high. Thus, BRAF mutations, which are present in a variety of other human cancers, do not seem to be involved in gastric cancer development.
KeywordsGastric Cancer Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma BRAF Mutation Gastric Cancer Cell Line Gastric Cancer Tissue
This work was supported by a research grant from the National Cancer Center, Korea. I.-J. Kim, J.-H. Park, H.C. Kang, and Y. Shin were supported by the BK21 project for Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmacy.
- Bae JM, Won YJ, Jung KW, Suh KA, Ahn DH, Park JG (2001) Annual report of the central cancer registry in Korea—1999: based on registered data from 128 hospitals. Cancer Res Treat 33:367–372Google Scholar
- Brose MS, Volpe P, Feldman M, Kumar M, Rishi I, Gerrero R, Einhorn E, Herlyn M, Minna J, Nicholson A, Roth JA, Albelda SM, Davies H, Cox C, Brignell G, Stephens P, Futreal PA, Wooster R, Stratton MR, Weber BL (2002) BRAF and RAS mutations in human lung cancer and melanoma. Cancer Res 62:6997–7000PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Davies H, Bignell GR, Cox C, Stephens P, Edkins S, Clegg S, Teague J, Woffendin H, Garnett MJ, Bottomley W, Davis N, Dicks E, Ewing R, Floyd Y, Gray K, Hall S, Hawes R, Hughes J, Kosmidou V, Menzies A, Mould C, Parker A, Stevens C, Watt S, Hooper S, Wilson R, Jayatilake H, Gusterson BA, Cooper C, Shipley J, Hargrave D, Pritchard-Jones K, Maitland N, Chenevix-Trench G, Riggins GJ, Bigner DD, Palmieri G, Cossu A, Flanagan A, Nicholson A, Ho JW, Leung SY, Yuen ST, Weber BL, Seigler HF, Darrow TL, Paterson H, Marais R, Marshall CJ, Wooster R, Stratton MR, Futreal PA (2002) Mutations of the BRAF gene in human cancer. Nature 417:949–954CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim I-J, Park J-H, Kang H-C, Shin Y, Lim S-B, Ku J-L, Yang H-K, Lee K-U, Park J-G (2003) A novel germline mutation in the MET extracellular domain in a Korean patient with the diffuse type of familial gastric cancer. J Med Genet 40:e97Google Scholar
- Yoon K-A, Ku J-L, Yang H-K, Kim W-H, Park S-Y, Park J-G (1999) Germline mutations of E-cadherin gene in Korean familial gastric cancer patients. J Hum Genet 44:177–180Google Scholar