Repeated introduction of Aedes albopictus into Germany, July to October 2012
- 547 Downloads
During a small-scale surveillance project to identify possible routes of entry for invasive mosquitoes into Germany, 14 adult Aedes (Stegomyia) albopictus (Skuse) were discovered between July and October 2012. They were trapped at three different service stations in Bavaria and Baden-Wuerttemberg located along two motorways that connect Germany with southern Europe. This indicates regular introduction of A. albopictus into Germany and highlights the need for a continuous surveillance and control programme.
KeywordsDengue Virus Chikungunya Tyrol Southern European Country Infested Site
This work was financially supported by the German Federal Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) through the Federal Environment Agency (UBA), grant number FKZ371148404, and the Leibniz Association, grant number SAW-2011-BNI-3. We are grateful to Heidrun von Thien and Birgit Muntau for skilful technical assistance and thank our KABS co-workers Artur Jöst and Björn Pluskota for support in evaluating breeding sites.
- Becker N, Huber K, Pluskota B, Kaiser A (2011) Ochlerotatus japonicus japonicus—a newly established neozoan in Germany and a revised list of the German mosquito fauna. Eur Mosq Bull 29:88–102Google Scholar
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (2012) Guidelines for the surveillance of invasive mosquitoes in Europe. Stockholm: ECDGoogle Scholar
- Gjenero-Margan I, Aleraj B, Krajcar D, Lesnikar V, Klobučar A, Pem-Novosel I, Kurečić-Filipović S, Komparak S, Martić R, Duričić S, Betica-Radić L, Okmadžić J, Vilibić-Čavlek T, Babić-Erceg A, Turković B, Avsić-Županc T, Radić I, Ljubić M, Sarac K, Benić N, Mlinarić-Galinović G (2011) Autochthonous dengue fever in Croatia, August–September 2010. Euro Surveill 16:pii019805Google Scholar
- Kampen H, Kronefeld M, Zielke D, Werner D (2012) Further specimens of the Asian tiger mosquito Aedes albopictus (Diptera, Culicidae) trapped in southwest Germany. Parasitol Res 5:250 (Epub ahead of print)Google Scholar
- Pluskota B, Storch V, Braunbeck T, Beck M, Becker N (2008) First record of Stegomyia albopicta (Skuse) (Diptera: Culicidae) in Germany. Eur Mosq Bull 26:1–5Google Scholar
- Werner D, Kronefeld M, Schaffner F, Kampen H (2012) Two invasive mosquito species, Aedes albopictus and Aedes japonicus japonicus, trapped in south-west Germany, July to August 2011. Euro Surveill 17:pii020067Google Scholar