The effects of different plant extracts on intestinal cestodes and on trematodes
- 611 Downloads
In the present study, chloroform, aqueous, (polyethylene glycol/propylene carbonate) PEG/PC extracts were made from coconut, onion, garlic, fig, date tree, chicory, ananas, and cistrose. These extracts were tested in vivo and in vitro on their anthelmintic activity against cestodes (Hymenolepis diminuta, H. microstoma, Taenia taeniaeformis) and trematodes (Fasciola hepatica, Echinostoma caproni). In all in vitro tests, the target parasites died. It turned out that the treatment of mice and rats with a combination of onion and coconut extracts (with PEG/PC) eliminated all cestodes from their final hosts. In addition, the same composition was effective against the intestinal fluke E. caproni, but not against the liver fluke F. hepatica in the final host, while both worms were killed in vitro. Inoculation of fluids of coconut eliminated T. taeniaeformis tapeworms from naturally infected cats. This goal was not reached with oil of cistrose.
KeywordsPlant Extract Chloroform Extract Liver Fluke Final Host Oral Application
Hereby, we gratefully acknowledge the thorough work of Mrs. Susanne Walter and Tim Mehlhorn, preparing the final versions of the text. Furthermore, we thank cordially the Centre of Excellence (College of Science) of the King Saud University Riyadh, Saudi- Arabia.
- Aksu G (2009) Plant extracts in the fight against worms. Diploma thesis, Duesseldorf, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- Eckert J, Friedhoff KT, Zahner H, Deplazes P (2008) Lehrbuch der Parasitologie für die Tiermedizin, 2nd edn. Enke, StuttgartGoogle Scholar
- Fischer K (2007) The effects of plant extracts on worm stages. Diploma thesis, University of DuesseldorfGoogle Scholar
- Hukkeri VI, Kalyani GA, Hatpaki BC, Manvi FV (1993) In vitro anthelminthic activity of aqueous extract of fruit rind of Punica granatum. Fitotherapia 64:69–70Google Scholar
- Klimpel S, Abdel-Ghaffar F, AL-Rasheid KAS, Aksu G, Fischer K, Strassen B, Mehlhorn H (2010) The effects of different plant extracts on nematodes. Parasitol Res (in press)Google Scholar
- Mehlhorn H, Düwel D, Raether W (1993) Diagnosis and therapy of parasitosis of house and farm animals (in German), 2nd edn. G Fischer, StuttgartGoogle Scholar
- Mehlhorn H, Eichenlaub D, Löscher T, Peters W (1995) Diagnosis and therapy of the parasites of men (in German), 2nd edn. G. Fischer, StuttgartGoogle Scholar
- Mehlhorn H, Al-Quaraishy S, Al-Rasheid KAS, Jatzlau A, Abdel-Ghaffar F (2010) Addition of a combination of onion (Allium cepa) and coconut (Cocos nucifera) to food of sheep stops gastrointestinal helminthic infections. Parasitol Res (in press)Google Scholar
- Strassen B (2007) Cocos nucifera Investigations on the efficacy of extracts on parasites. (in German) PhD thesis, University of DüsseldorfGoogle Scholar
- von Bingen H (1974) Naturkunde—reproduction of a medieval book, 2nd edn. Mueller–Wiss, Buchgesellschaft, Salzburg)Google Scholar