The first detection of Neospora caninum DNA in the colostrum of infected cows
Limited data is available on the vertical transmission of Neospora caninum via the colostrum. The results of our previous research revealed the presence of N. caninum DNA in the milk of seropositive cows. The aim of the present work is to demonstrate parasite DNA in colostrum samples. A polymerase chain reaction using Np21 and Np6 primers was applied to DNA isolated from the colostrum sediment in order to amplify the corresponding genomic Nc-5 region. The expected 328-bp product was obtained in colostrum samples collected both on the calving day and the day after. This is the first detection of N. caninum DNA in the colostrum of seropositive cows, and these findings implicate the possibility of N. caninum transmission through the colostrum.
KeywordsVertical Transmission Milk Replacer IDEXX Laboratory Colostrum Sample Caninum Antibody
The research was supported by grant No. 3 P06K 030 23 of the State Committee for Scientific Research in Warsaw, Poland. Grateful thanks to COST 854 Action.
- Cabaj W, Choromański L, Rodgers S, Moskwa B, Malczewski A (2000) Neospora caninum infections in aborting dairy cows in Poland. Acta Parasitol 45:113–114Google Scholar
- Chanlun A, Emanuelson U, Chanlun S, Aiumlamai S, Börkman C (2005) Application of repeated bulk milk testing for identification of Neospora caninum infection of Thai dairy herds. Wiad Parazytol 51 supp:31Google Scholar
- Frössling J, Linberg A, Björkman C (2004) Evaluation of an iscom ELISA used for detection of antibodies to Neospora caninum in bulk milk. In: Programme and abstract information of the COST 854 annual meeting “Protozoal reproduction losses in farm ruminants”, Liverpool, UK, 6–9 September 2004, pp 14–15Google Scholar
- Moskwa B, Cabaj W, Pastusiak K, Bien J (2003) The suitability of milk in detection of Neospora caninum infection in cows. Acta Parasitol 48:138–141Google Scholar
- Moskwa B, Cabaj W, Pastusiak K, Bien J (2005) Current studies on neosporosis in Poland. Wiad Parazytol 51 supp:65–67Google Scholar
- Ortega-Mora LM, Gomez-Bautista M, Fernandez-Garcia A (2005) Neospora and neosporosis: achievements and perspectives in diagnosis. Wiad Parazytol 51 supp:63Google Scholar
- Packhman AE, Sverlow KW, Conrad PA, Loomis EF, Rowe JD, Anderson ML, Marsh AE, Cray C, Barr BC (1998) A modified agglutination test for Neospora caninum: development, optimalization, and comparison to the indirect fluorescent-antibody test and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 5:467–473Google Scholar