Inhibitory effect of Hesperidin on tumour initiation and promotion in mouse skin
- 89 Downloads
A flavonoid, Hesperidin was evaluated for its ability to inhibit tumour initiation by a polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon and tumour promotion by a phorbol ester in the skin of CD-1 mice. Subcutaneous application of Hes-peridin did not inhibit 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene-induced tumour initiation but did inhibit 12-O-tetradecanoyl-13-phorbol acetate-induced tumour promotion. Results provide evidence for a potential chemopreventive activity of Hesperidin.
KeywordsHesperidin Skin tumorigenesis Mice
free oxygen radicals
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Kato R, Nakadate T, Yamamoto S, Sugimura T (1985) Inhibition of 12-0 tetradecanoyl-phorbol-13-acetate induced tumor promotion and ornithine decarboxylase activity by quercetin: possible involvement of lipoxygenase inhibition Carcinogenesis 4:1301–1305Google Scholar
- 4.Bresnick E, Birt D (1988) Inhibitory effects of the flavonoid, apigenin, on epidermal ornithine decarboxylase and mouse skin tumorigenesis. Proc Am Assoc Cancer Res 29:136Google Scholar
- 5.Lasker JM, Huang MT, Conney AH (1984) In vitro and in vivo activation of oxidative drug metabolism by flavonoids. J Pharm Exp Ther 229:162–170Google Scholar
- 8.Rengün A, Baykut F, Kayahan R, Berkarda B, Öz F et al (1981) Preliminary report on the effect of grapefruit (citruis paradise) extract on erlich ascites cells (EAT). Chim Acta Turc 9:25Google Scholar
- 15.Lonchampt M et al (1989) Protective effect of a purified flavonoid fraction against re-active oxygen radicals. Arzneimittelforschung/Drug Research 39(11–8):882–885Google Scholar
- 19.Nygard OF, Simic MG (1983) Radio protectors and anticarcinogens. Academic Press, New York, p 471Google Scholar
- 20.Dionisi D, Galeotti T, Terranove T, Azzi A (1975) Superoxide radicals and hydrogen peroxide formation in mitochondria from normal and neoplastic tissues. Biochem Biophys Acta 402:292–300Google Scholar
- 21.Kılıç K (1986) Oxygen radicals and superoxide dismutase in cancer. Biokimya 11(3):59–76Google Scholar
- 25.Baykut F, Baykut D, Baykut G (1989) Failure of the electron transfer mechanism in cancer development, Int J Exp Clin Chemother 2:76–86Google Scholar
- 26.Baykut S, Atun G (1987) Investigation of redox characters of some organic substances by using electrochemical and photochromotographic methods. Chim Acta Turc 15:180–201Google Scholar