Image-guided ablations in patients with thyroid tumors
- 101 Downloads
We read with great interest the paper by Guang et al. entitled “Efficacy and safety of percutaneous ultrasound-guided radiofrequency ablation for treating cervical metastatic lymph nodes from papillary thyroid carcinoma” recently published in the Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology (2017). In this paper, the authors reported on the successful treatment of 54 metastatic lymph nodes from papillary thyroid cancer in 33 patients with ultrasound-guided radiofrequency ablation.
Image-guided ablations are achieving an everyday higher importance in the multidisciplinary management of cancer patients, being nowadays interventional oncology considered the fourth pillar of cancer care together with surgical oncology, medical oncology and radiotherapy. A promising and quite novel field of application is the application of image-guided ablations in the care of patients with thyroid benign and malignant tumors. Particularly, in patients with metastatic lymph nodes from...
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Valerio Ferrara declares that he has no conflict of interest. Ciriaco Buonomenna declares that he has no conflict of interest. Giovanni Mauri declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Guang Y, Luo Y, Zhang Y, Zhang M, Li N, Zhang Y, Tang J (2017) Efficacy and safety of percutaneous ultrasound guided radiofrequency ablation for treating cervical metastatic lymph nodes from papillary thyroid carcinoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 143(8):1555–1562. doi: 10.1007/s00432-017-2386-6 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mauri G and Sconfienza LM (2017) Is operators’ experience more important than the ablation technique in image-guided thermal ablations? Int J Hyperth Off J Eur Soc Hyperth Oncol N Am Hyperth Group, pp 1–2. doi: 10.1080/02656736.2017.1306123
- Mauri G, Cova L, Tondolo T, Ierace T, Baroli A, Di Mauro E, Pacella CM, Golderg SN, Solbiati L (2013) Percutaneous laser ablation of metastatic lymph nodes in the neck from papillary thyroid carcinoma: preliminary results. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98(7):E1203–E1207. doi: 10.1210/jc.2013-1140 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mauri G, Porazzi E, Cova L, Restelli U, Tondolo T, Bonfanti M, Cerri A, Ierace T, Croce D, Solbiati L (2014) Intraprocedural contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) in liver percutaneous radiofrequency ablation: clinical impact and health technology assessment. Insights Imaging 5(2):209–216. doi: 10.1007/s13244-014-0315-7 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Mauri G, Cova L, De Beni S, Ierace T, Tondolo T, Cerri A, Goldberg SN, Solbiati L (2015) Real-time US-CT/MRI image fusion for guidance of thermal ablation of liver tumors undetectable with US: results in 295 cases. Cardiovasc Interv Radiol 38(1):143–151. doi: 10.1007/s00270-014-0897-y CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mauri G, Cova L, Ierace T, Baroli A, Di Mauro E, Pacella CM, Goldberg SN, Solbiati L (2016) Treatment of metastatic lymph nodes in the neck from papillary thyroid carcinoma with percutaneous laser ablation. Cardiovasc Interv Radiol 39(7):1023–1030. doi: 10.1007/s00270-016-1313-6 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mauri G, Cova L, Monaco CG, Sconfienza LM, Corbetta S, Benedini S, Ambrogi F, Milani V, Baroli A, Ierace T, Solbiati L (2017) Benign thyroid nodules treatment using percutaneous laser ablation (PLA) and radiofrequency ablation (RFA). Int J Hyperth 33(3):295–299. doi: 10.1080/02656736.2016.1244707 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pacella CM, Mauri G, Cesareo R, Paqualini V, Cianni R, De Feo P, Gambelunghe G, Raggiunti B, Tina D, Deandrea M, Limone PP, Mormile A, Giusti M, Oddo S, Achille G, Di Stasio E, Misischi I, Papini E (2017) A comparison of laser with radiofrequency ablation for the treatment of benign thyroid nodules: a propensity score matching analysis. Int J Hyperth Off J Eur Soc Hyperth Oncol N Am Hyperth Group, pp 1–9. doi: 10.1080/02656736.2017.1332395
- Turtulici G, Orlandi D, Corazza A, Sartoris R, Derchi LE, Silvestri E, Baek JH (2014) Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of benign thyroid nodules assisted by a virtual needle tracking system. Ultrasound Med Biol 40(7):1447–1452. doi: 10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2014.02.017 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar