Epigenetically silenced long noncoding-SRHC promotes proliferation of hepatocellular carcinoma
- 890 Downloads
To investigate the expression of SRHC and the role of SRHC in the pathogenesis of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
We analyzed HCC samples and matched non-tumor liver tissues (controls) collected from 81 patients who underwent hepatectomy in Shanghai, China. The expression levels of SRHC were determined by quantitative reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction. Statistical analyses were used to associate the levels of SRHC with tumor features and patient outcomes.
We found that a lower SRHC expression level was significantly more frequent in tissues with a high serum a-fetoprotein level (positive, >20 µg/L, P = 0.004) and a low degree of differentiated tumors (poorly differentiated, P = 0.017). Furthermore, we found that the promoter region of SRHC contains a CpG-rich island and that SRHC is down-regulated in tumors by DNA methylation.
Here, we identified a new long noncoding RNA designated as SRHC that is capable of inhibiting cancer proliferation and is down-regulated in tumors at least partly by DNA methylation.
KeywordsHepatocellular carcinoma Splicing SRHC LncRNA Methylation
The authors acknowledge Shuai Li for his detailed bioinformatics analysis of SRHC.
Conflict of interest
We declare that we have no conflict of interest.
- Budhu A, Forgues M, Ye QH, Jia HL, He P, Zanetti KA, Wang XW (2006) Prediction of venous metastases, recurrence, and prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma based on a unique immune response signature of the liver microenvironment. Cancer Cell 10(2):99–111. doi: 10.1016/j.ccr.2006.06.016 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Du Y, Kong G, You X, Zhang S, Zhang T, Gao Y, Zhang X (2012) Elevation of highly up-regulated in liver cancer (HULC) by hepatitis B virus X protein promotes hepatoma cell proliferation via down-regulating p18. J Biol Chem 287(31):26302–26311. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M112.342113 CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hayhurst GP, Lee YH, Lambert G, Ward JM, Gonzalez FJ (2001) Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha (nuclear receptor 2A1) is essential for maintenance of hepatic gene expression and lipid homeostasis. Mol Cell Biol 21(4):1393–1403. doi: 10.1128/MCB.21.4.1393-1403.2001 CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Huang JF, Guo YJ, Zhao CX, Yuan SX, Wang Y, Tang GN, Sun SH (2013) Hepatitis B virus X protein (HBx)-related long noncoding RNA (lncRNA) down-regulated expression by HBx (Dreh) inhibits hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis by targeting the intermediate filament protein vimentin. Hepatology 57(5):1882–1892. doi: 10.1002/hep.26195 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tripathi V, Shen Z, Chakraborty A, Giri S, Freier SM, Wu X, Prasanth KV (2013) Long noncoding RNA MALAT1 controls cell cycle progression by regulating the expression of oncogenic transcription factor B-MYB. PLoS Genet 9(3):e1003368. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1003368 CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar