IMP3 expression in gastric cancer: association with clinicopathological features and HER2 status
The aim of this study was to evaluate the expression of IMP3, an independent poor prognostic factor for many cancers, and its association with clinicopathological features and HER2 status.
Gastrectomy specimens from 106 patients were evaluated by immunohistochemistry and fluorescence in situ hybridization.
HER2 overexpression was found in 4.71 % of the samples. A negative association was observed between HER2 overexpression and grade of differentiation. No association was observed between HER2 overexpression and status of surgical margins, vascular invasion, perineural invasion, nodal metastasis and depth of invasion. Among all specimens of gastric cancer, 67.92 % were positive for IMP3. Expression of IMP3 was significantly higher in specimens with vascular invasion, perineural invasion, nodal metastasis and higher depth of invasion. HER2 overexpression was detected in only 5.55 % of IMP3 positive specimens.
IMP3 expression was frequently observed in gastric cancer and was associated with poor prognostic clinicopathological features. A survival benefit with HER2 therapy should be expected for the minority of patients with IMP3 positive specimens. Studies should be conducted to evaluate the response to HER2 therapy of gastric cancer expressing IMP3.
KeywordsHER2 IMP3 Immunohistochemistry FISH Gastric cancer
- Bang YJ, Van Cutsem E, Feyereislova A et al (2010) Trastuzumab in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer(ToGA): a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 376:687–697PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Brasil. Ministério da Saúde, Instituto Nacional de Câncer (2011) Estimativa 2012: incidência de câncer no Brasil/Instituto Nacional de Câncer. INCA, Rio de JaneiroGoogle Scholar
- Clauditz TS, Wang CJ, Gontarewicz A, Blessmann M, Tennstedt P, Borgmann K, Tribius S, Sauter G, Dalchow C, Knecht R, Münscher A, Wilczak W (2013) Expression of insulin-like growth factor II mRNA-binding protein 3 in squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. J Oral Pathol Med 42(2):125–132PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schaeffer DF, Owen DR, Lim HJ, Buczkowski AK, Chung SW, Scudamore CH, Huntsman DG, Ng SS, Owen DA (2010) Insulin-like growth factor 2 mRNA binding protein 3 (IGF2BP3) overexpression in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma correlates with poor survival. BMC Cancer 10:59PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang L, Li HG, Xia ZS, Lü J, Peng TS (2010) IMP3 is a novel biomarker to predict metastasis and prognosis of gastric adenocarcinoma: a retrospective study. Chin Med J (Engl) 123(24):3554–3558Google Scholar
- Xylinas E, Cha EK, Khani F, Kluth LA, Rieken M, Volkmer BG, Hautmann R, Küfer R, Chen YT, Zerbib M, Rubin MA, Scherr DS, Shariat SF, Robinson BD (2014) Association of oncofetal protein expression with clinical outcomes in patients with urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. J Urol 191(3):830–841PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar