Re-evaluation of cytostatic therapies for meningiomas in vitro
- 380 Downloads
The purpose was to re-evaluate in cell culture models the therapeutic usefulness of some discussed chemotherapies or targeted therapies for meningiomas with a special emphasis on the role of the neurofibromatosis type 2 (NF2) tumor suppressor, which had been neglected so far. In addition, the study intended to evaluate a potential benefit from a treatment with drugs which are well established in other fields of medicine and have been linked recently with tumor disease by epidemiological studies.
Meningioma cell lines corresponding to various subtypes and pairs of syngenic meningioma cell lines with or without shRNA-induced NF2 knockdown were analyzed for their dose-dependent response to the drugs in microtiter tetrazolium assays, BrdU assays and for selected cases in ELISAs measuring nucleosome liberation to specifically separate cell death from pure inhibition of cell proliferation.
We confirmed a moderate efficacy of hydroxyurea (HU) in clinically relevant concentrations. Under appropriate dosing, we neither detected major responses to the alkylating compound temozolomide nor to various drugs targeting membrane receptors or enzymes (tamoxifen, erlotinib, mifepristone, losartan, metformin and verapamil). Only concentrations far beyond achievable serum levels generated significant effects with the exception of losartan, which showed no effects at all. Chemosensitivity varied markedly among meningioma cell lines. Importantly, cells with NF2 loss exhibited a significantly higher induction of cell death by HU.
Alternative chemotherapeutic or targeted approaches besides HU have still to be evaluated in further studies, and the role of NF2 must be taken into account.
KeywordsMeningioma Chemotherapy NF2 Radiosensitization
We thank Emmanuel Antwi-Adjei and Maulana Ikhsan Zain for their help with the experiments. The meningioma research of the group is supported by the Wilhelm-Sander-Stiftung (2010.017.2) and the Deutsche Kinderkrebsstiftung (DKS 2013.04). We are grateful to Helen Morrison for providing reagents.
Conflict of interest
- Andrae N, Kirches E, Hartig R, Haase D, Keilhoff G, Kalinski T, Mawrin C (2012) Sunitinib targets PDGF-receptor and Flt3 and reduces survival and migration of human meningioma cells. Eur J Cancer 48:1831–1841Google Scholar
- de Montalembert M, Bachir D, Hulin A, Gimeno L, Mogenet A, Bresson JL, Macquin-Mavier I, Roudot-Thoraval F, Astier A, Galacteros F (2006) Pharmacokinetics of hydroxyurea 1,000 mg coated breakable tablets and 500 mg capsules in pediatric and adult patients with sickle cell disease. Haematologica 91:1685–1688PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Eichler AF, Kahle KT, Wang DL, Joshi VA, Willers H, Engelman JA, Lynch TJ, Sequist LV (2010) EGFR mutation status and survival after diagnosis of brain metastasis in nonsmall cell lung cancer. Neurooncology 12:1193–1199Google Scholar
- Garnett MJ, Edelman EJ, Heidorn SJ, Greenman CD, Dastur A, Lau KW, Greninger P, Thompson IR, Luo X, Soares J, Liu Q, Iorio F, Surdez D, Chen L, Milano RJ, Bignell GR et al (2012) Systematic identification of genomic markers of drug sensitivity in cancer cells. Nature 483:570–575PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kliese N, Gobrecht P, Pachow D, Andrae N, Wilisch-Neumann A, Kirches E, Riek-Burchardt M, Angenstein F, Reifenberger G, Riemenschneider M, Meese E, Panayotova-Dimitrova D, Gutmann DH, Mawrin C (2013) miRNA-145 is downregulated in atypical and anaplastic meningiomas and negatively regulates motility and proliferation of meningioma cells. Oncogene 32:4712–4720PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Norden AD, Raizer JJ, Abrey LE, Lamborn KR, Lassman AB, Chang SM, Yung WK, Gilbert MR, Fine HA, Mehta M, Deangelis LM, Cloughesy TF, Robins HI, Aldape K, Dancey J, Prados MD et al (2009b) Phase II trials of erlotinib or gefitinib in patients with recurrent meningioma. J NeurooncolGoogle Scholar
- Reardon DA, Norden AD, Desjardins A, Vredenburgh JJ, Herndon JE 2nd, Coan A, Sampson JH, Gururangan S, Peters KB, McLendon RE, Norfleet JA, Lipp ES, Drappatz J, Wen PY, Friedman HS (2012) Phase II study of Gleevec((R)) plus hydroxyurea (HU) in adults with progressive or recurrent meningioma. J Neurooncol 106:409–415PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Teft WA, Gong IY, Dingle B, Potvin K, Younus J, Vandenberg TA, Brackstone M, Perera FE, Choi YH, Zou G, Legan RM, Tirona RG, Kim RB (2013) CYP3A4 and seasonal variation in vitamin D status in addition to CYP2D6 contribute to therapeutic endoxifen level during tamoxifen therapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat 139:95–105PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar