Concomitant treatment with pertussis toxin plus temozolomide increases the survival of rats bearing intracerebral RG2 glioma
- 515 Downloads
Glioblastoma multiforme is the most frequent primary brain tumor, it has poor prognosis, and it remains refractory to current treatment. The success of temozolomide (TMZ) appears to be limited by the occurrence of chemoresistance. Recently, we report the use of pertussis toxin as adjuvant immunotherapy in a C6 glioma model; showing a decrease in tumoral size, it induced selective cell death in Treg cells, and it elicited less infiltration of tumoral macrophages. Here, we evaluated the cytotoxic effect of pertussis toxin in combination with TMZ for glioma treatment, both in vitro and in vivo RG2 glioma model.
We determined cell viability, cell cycle, apoptosis, and autophagy on treated RG2 cells through flow cytometry, immunofluorescence, and Western blot assays. Twenty-eight rats were divided in four groups (n = 7) for each treatment. After intracranial implantation of RG2 cells, animals were treated with TMZ (10 mg/Kg/200 μl of apple juice), PTx (2 μg/200 μl of saline solution), and TMZ + PTx. Animals without treatment were considered as control.
We found an induction of apoptosis in around 20 % of RG2 cells, in both single treatments and in their combination. Also, we determined the presence of autophagy vesicles, without any modifications in the cell cycle in the TMZ – PTx-treated groups. The survival analyses showed an increase due to individual treatments; while in the group treated with the combination TMZ − PTx, this effect was enhanced.
We show that the concomitant use of pertussis toxin plus TMZ could represent an advantage to improve the glioma treatment.
KeywordsPertussis toxin Glioblastoma multiforme RG2 glioma Survival Temozolomide
Animals were kindly donated by Bioinvert Mexico City. This work was supported by the National Council of Science and Technology of Mexico (CONACyT, Grant 180851) and Instituto de Ciencia y Tecnología del Distrito Federal (PICSA 10-143).
Conflict of interest
- Aoki H, Kondo Y, Aldape K, Yamamoto A, Iwado E, Yokoyama T, Hollingsworth EF, Kobayashi R, Hess K, Shinojima N, Shingu T, Tamada Y, Zhang L, Conrad C, Bogler O, Mills G, Sawaya R, Kondo S (2008) Monitoring autophagy in glioblastoma with antibody against isoform B of human microtubule-associated protein 1 light chain 3. Autophagy 4(4):467–475PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Carracedo J, Ramirez R, Marchetti P, Pintado OC, Baixeras E, Martinez C, Kroemer G (1995) Pertussis toxin-sensitive GTP-binding proteins regulate activation-induced apoptotic cell death of human natural killer cells. Eur J Immunol 25(11):3094–3099. doi: 10.1002/eji.1830251116 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Huang X, Bai HM, Chen L, Li B, Lu YC (2010) Reduced expression of LC3B-II and Beclin 1 in glioblastoma multiforme indicates a down-regulated autophagic capacity that relates to the progression of astrocytic tumors. J Clin Neurosci 17(12):1515–1519. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2010.03.051 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Magaña R, Hernandez-Pedro N, Rangel E, Manoutcharian K, Pineda B, Sotelo J (2012) Pertussis: symptoms, prevention and treatment. Adv Med Biol 55:41–68Google Scholar
- National Cancer Institute (2011) Central brain tumor registry of the United StatesGoogle Scholar
- Orozco-Morales M, Sanchez-Garcia FJ, Guevara-Salazar P, Arrieta O, Hernandez-Pedro NY, Sanchez-Garcia A, Perez-Madrigal R, Rangel-Lopez E, Pineda B, Sotelo J (2012) Adjuvant immunotherapy of C6 glioma in rats with pertussis toxin. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 138(1):23–33. doi: 10.1007/s00432-011-1069-y PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sarrazy V, Vedrenne N, Billet F, Bordeau N, Lepreux S, Vital A, Jauberteau MO, Desmouliere A (2011) TLR4 signal transduction pathways neutralize the effect of Fas signals on glioblastoma cell proliferation and migration. Cancer Lett 311(2):195–202. doi: 10.1016/j.canlet.2011.07.018 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stupp R, Mason WP, van den Bent MJ, Weller M, Fisher B, Taphoorn MJ, Belanger K, Brandes AA, Marosi C, Bogdahn U, Curschmann J, Janzer RC, Ludwin SK, Gorlia T, Allgeier A, Lacombe D, Cairncross JG, Eisenhauer E, Mirimanoff RO (2005) Radiotherapy plus concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide for glioblastoma. N Engl J Med 352(10):987–996. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa043330 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar