Peritoneal metastases of lower gastrointestinal tract origin: a comparative study of patient outcomes following cytoreduction and intraperitoneal chemotherapy
- 323 Downloads
Cytoreductive surgery (CS) combined with intraperitoneal chemotherapy (IPC) is a multimodal approach to the treatment of peritoneal metastases (PM) of lower gastrointestinal origin. This study examines patient outcomes and critically evaluates its patterns of recurrences relative to the site of metastatic origin.
Patients treated with CS/IPC from 2000 to 2012 where PM arose from a primary tumour of the appendix, colon and rectum were identified from a prospective database for retrospective evaluation. The primary end points were survival (overall and disease-free), and secondary end points include patterns of recurrence and prognostic factors associated with overall outcomes.
Two hundred and eleven patients were followed up for a median of 23.3 months (range 1–156). Overall median survival was 46.8 months, and the 1-, 3-, 5-year survival rates were 87, 56 and 42 %, respectively. The 5-year survival of patients with appendiceal, colonic and rectal PM was 55, 33 and 20 %, respectively. Tumour origin was the only independent prognostic factor associated with overall survival (p = 0.03). Recurrences were more common in patients of colorectal origin over appendiceal origin (p < 0.001) and were more likely to be of a systemic nature (p = 0.05).
CS/IPC provides an option for improved survival in patients with PM of lower gastrointestinal origin and appears to be most promising in patients with disease of appendiceal origin.
KeywordsColorectal cancer Metastatic colorectal cancer Peritoneal metastases Cytoreductive surgery Intraperitoneal chemotherapy
Dr. Terence Chua has received funding from the Ramaciotti Establishment and Equipment Grant.
Conflict of interest
- Bokemeyer C, Van Cutsem E, Rougier P, Ciardiello F, Heeger S, Schlichting M, Celik I, Kohne CH (2012) Addition of cetuximab to chemotherapy as first-line treatment for KRAS wild-type metastatic colorectal cancer: pooled analysis of the CRYSTAL and OPUS randomised clinical trials. Eur J Cancer (Oxford, England: 1990) 48(10):1466–1475. doi: 10.1016/j.ejca.2012.02.057
- Chua TC, Moran BJ, Sugarbaker PH, Levine EA, Glehen O, Gilly FN, Baratti D, Deraco M, Elias D, Sardi A, Liauw W, Yan TD, Barrios P, Gomez Portilla A, de Hingh IH, Ceelen WP, Pelz JO, Piso P, Gonzalez-Moreno S, Van Der Speeten K, Morris DL (2012b) Early- and long-term outcome data of patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei from appendiceal origin treated by a strategy of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 30(20):2449–2456. doi: 10.1200/jco.2011.39.7166 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Colucci G, Gebbia V, Paoletti G, Giuliani F, Caruso M, Gebbia N, Carteni G, Agostara B, Pezzella G, Manzione L, Borsellino N, Misino A, Romito S, Durini E, Cordio S, Di Seri M, Lopez M, Maiello E, Montemurro S, Cramarossa A, Lorusso V, Di Bisceglie M, Chiarenza M, Valerio MR, Guida T, Leonardi V, Pisconti S, Rosati G, Carrozza F, Nettis G, Valdesi M, Filippelli G, Fortunato S, Mancarella S, Brunetti C, Gruppo Oncologico Dell’Italia M (2005) Phase III randomized trial of FOLFIRI versus FOLFOX4 in the treatment of advanced colorectal cancer: a multicenter study of the Gruppo Oncologico Dell’Italia Meridionale. J Clin Oncol 23(22):4866–4875. doi: 10.1200/jco.2005.07.113 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Diaz-Rubio E, Tabernero J, Gomez-Espana A, Massuti B, Sastre J, Chaves M, Abad A, Carrato A, Queralt B, Reina JJ, Maurel J, Gonzalez-Flores E, Aparicio J, Rivera F, Losa F, Aranda E, Spanish Cooperative Group for the Treatment of Digestive Tumors T (2007) Phase III study of capecitabine plus oxaliplatin compared with continuous-infusion fluorouracil plus oxaliplatin as first-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer: final report of the Spanish Cooperative Group for the Treatment of Digestive Tumors Trial. J Clin Oncol 25(27):4224–4230. doi: 10.1200/jco.2006.09.8467 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Elias D, Glehen O, Pocard M, Quenet F, Goere D, Arvieux C, Rat P, Gilly F, Association Française de Chirurgie (2010) A comparative study of complete cytoreductive surgery plus intraperitoneal chemotherapy to treat peritoneal dissemination from colon, rectum, small bowel, and nonpseudomyxoma appendix. Ann Surg 251(5):896–901. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181d9765d PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Franko J, Shi Q, Goldman CD, Pockaj BA, Nelson GD, Goldberg RM, Pitot HC, Grothey A, Alberts SR, Sargent DJ (2012) Treatment of colorectal peritoneal carcinomatosis with systemic chemotherapy: a pooled analysis of north central cancer treatment group phase III trials N9741 and N9841. J Clin Oncol 30(3):263–267. doi: 10.1200/jco.2011.37.1039 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fuchs CS, Marshall J, Mitchell E, Wierzbicki R, Ganju V, Jeffery M, Schulz J, Richards D, Soufi-Mahjoubi R, Wang B, Barrueco J (2007) Randomized, controlled trial of irinotecan plus infusional, bolus, or oral fluoropyrimidines in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: results from the BICC-C Study. J Clin Oncol 25(30):4779–4786. doi: 10.1200/jco.2007.11.3357 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fuchs CS, Marshall J, Barrueco J (2008) Randomized, controlled trial of irinotecan plus infusional, bolus, or oral fluoropyrimidines in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: updated results from the BICC-C study. J Clin Oncol 26(4):689–690. doi: 10.1200/jco.2007.15.5390 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Glehen O, Kwiatkowski F, Sugarbaker P, Elias D, Levine E, De Simone M, Barone R, Yonemura Y, Cavaliere F, Quenet F (2004) Cytoreductive surgery combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy for the management of peritoneal carcinomatosis from colorectal cancer: a multi-institutional study. J Clin Oncol 22(16):3284–3292PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Glehen O, Gilly FN, Boutitie F, Bereder JM, Quenet F, Sideris L, Mansvelt B, Lorimier G, Msika S, Elias D, French Surgical A (2010) Toward curative treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis from nonovarian origin by cytoreductive surgery combined with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy: a multi-institutional study of 1,290 patients. Cancer 116(24):5608–5618. doi: 10.1002/cncr.25356 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hurwitz H, Fehrenbacher L, Novotny W, Cartwright T, Hainsworth J, Heim W, Berlin J, Baron A, Griffing S, Holmgren E, Ferrara N, Fyfe G, Rogers B, Ross R, Kabbinavar F (2004) Bevacizumab plus irinotecan, fluorouracil, and leucovorin for metastatic colorectal cancer. New Eng J Med 350(23):2335–2342. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa032691 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lieu CH, Lambert LA, Wolff RA, Eng C, Zhang N, Wen S, Rafeeq S, Taggart M, Fournier K, Royal R, Mansfield P, Overman MJ (2012) Systemic chemotherapy and surgical cytoreduction for poorly differentiated and signet ring cell adenocarcinomas of the appendix. Ann Oncol 23(3):652–658. doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdr279 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- National Cancer Institute (1999) National Cancer Institute Common Toxicity Criteria Version 2Google Scholar
- Porschen R, Arkenau HT, Kubicka S, Greil R, Seufferlein T, Freier W, Kretzschmar A, Graeven U, Grothey A, Hinke A, Schmiegel W, Schmoll HJ, Group AIOCS (2007) Phase III study of capecitabine plus oxaliplatin compared with fluorouracil and leucovorin plus oxaliplatin in metastatic colorectal cancer: a final report of the AIO Colorectal Study Group. J Clin Oncol 25(27):4217–4223. doi: 10.1200/jco.2006.09.2684 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sadeghi B, Arvieux C, Glehen O, Beaujard AC, Rivoire M, Baulieux J, Fontaumard E, Brachet A, Caillot JL, Faure JL, Porcheron J, Peix JL, Francois Y, Vignal J, Gilly FN (2000) Peritoneal carcinomatosis from non-gynecologic malignancies: results of the EVOCAPE 1 multicentric prospective study. Cancer 88(2):358–363PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Van Cutsem E, Lang I, Folprecht G, Nowacki M, Barone C, Shchepotin I, Maurel J, Cunningham D, Celik I, Kohne C (2010) Cetuximab plus FOLFIRI: final data from the CRYSTAL study on the association of KRAS and BRAF biomarker status with treatment outcome. J Clin Oncol 28 (15S):3570Google Scholar
- Verwaal VJ, van Ruth S, de Bree E, van Sloothen GW, van Tinteren H, Boot H, Zoetmulder FA (2003) Randomized trial of cytoreduction and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy versus systemic chemotherapy and palliative surgery in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol 21(20):3737–3743. doi: 10.1200/jco.2003.04.187 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar