First-line panitumumab plus irinotecan/5-fluorouracil/leucovorin treatment in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer
- 1.4k Downloads
Panitumumab monotherapy is approved for KRAS wild-type (WT) metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) progressing after standard chemotherapy. This study evaluated first-line panitumumab plus FOLFIRI in patients with mCRC.
In this phase II, single-arm study, panitumumab (6 mg/kg) and FOLFIRI [irinotecan (180 mg/m2) and leucovorin (400 mg/m2) followed by a 5-fluorouracil 400 mg/m2 bolus and a 2,400–3,000 mg/m2 continuous infusion] were administered every 14 days until progression. Data were analysed descriptively overall and by tumour KRAS status.
KRAS data were available for 145/154 (94%) patients: 59% KRAS WT and 41% mutant (MT); mean follow-up was 39.5 versus 35.8 weeks, respectively. Objective responses occurred in 49% of patients: 56% versus 38% in the KRAS WT versus MT groups [(18% difference (95% CI 1–35%); odds ratio 2.1 (95% CI 1.0–4.4)]; median duration of response was 13.0 versus 7.4 months. More patients in the WT group underwent R0 resection (8% vs. 5%); median progression-free survival also favoured this group (8.9 vs. 7.2 months). The most common adverse events (any grade) were integument toxicities (98%), diarrhoea (79%) and stomatitis/oral mucositis (51%).
As expected, consistently favourable efficacy was observed in patients with KRAS WT versus MT tumours receiving first-line panitumumab plus FOLFIRI treatment.
KeywordsChemotherapy Fully human monoclonal antibody Metastatic colorectal cancer Panitumumab
- Amgen Inc (2010) Vectibix® prescribing information http://pi.amgen.com/united_states/vectibix/vectibix_pi.pdf
- Amgen Ltd (2009) Vectibix® (panitumumab) summary of product characteristics http://www.emc.medicines.org.uk/medicine/20528/SPC/Vectibix/
- Benvenuti S, Sartore-Bianchi A, Di Nicolantonio F et al (2007) Oncogenic activation of the RAS/RAF signaling pathway impairs the response of metastatic colorectal cancers to anti-epidermal growth factor receptor antibody therapies. Cancer Res 67:2643–2648. doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-4158 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Douillard JY, Siena S, Cassidy J et al (2010) Randomized, phase 3 study (PRIME) of panitumumab with FOLFOX4 versus FOLFOX4 alone as first-line treatment in patients with previously untreated metastatic colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol 28:4697–4705. doi:10.1200/JCO.2009.27.4860 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- European Medicines Agency (2009a) Erbitux® (cetuximab) prescribing information http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/PDFs/EPAR/erbitux/H-558-PI-en.pdf
- European Medicines Agency (2009b) Vectibix® (panitumumab) prescribing information http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/PDFs/EPAR/vectibix/H-741-PI-en.pdf
- European Medicines Agency (2011) Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP). Summary of opininin (post-authorisation)—Vectibix (panitumumab) 2011 http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Summary_of_opinion/human/000741/WC500107994.pdf
- Fuchs CS, Marshall J, Mitchell E et al (2007) Randomized, controlled trial of irinotecan plus infusional, bolus, or oral fluoropyrimidines in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: results from the BICC-C study. J Clin Oncol 25:4779–4786. doi:10.1200/JCO.2007.11.3357 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- National Cancer Institute Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program [CTEP] (2005) Common toxicity criteria for adverse events v3.0 (CTCAE) http://ctep.cancer.gov/protocolDevelopment/electronic_applicationa/docs/ctcaev3.pdf
- National Cancer Institute Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program [CTEP] (2006) Common terminology criteria for adverse events (CTCAE), Version 3.0, DCTD, NCI, NIH, DHHS http://www.ctep.cancer.gov
- Raoul JL, Van Laethem JL, Peeters M et al (2009) Cetuximab in combination with irinotecan/5-fluorouracil/folinic acid (FOLFIRI) in the initial treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: a multicentre two-part phase I/II study. BMC Cancer 9:112. doi:10.1186/1471-2407-9-112 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Therasse P, Arbuck SG, Eisenhauer EA et al (2000) New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst 92:205–216. doi:10.1093/jnci/92.3.205 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Van Cutsem E, Peeters M, Siena S et al (2007) Open-label phase III trial of panitumumab plus best supportive care compared with best supportive care alone in patients with chemotherapy-refractory metastatic colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol 25:1658–1664. doi:10.1200/JCO.2006.08.1620 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar