Synergistic interaction between sunitinib and docetaxel is sequence dependent in human non–small lung cancer with EGFR TKIs-resistant mutation
- 321 Downloads
Previous studies have demonstrated that sunitinib has the anti-tumor activity in human non–small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). This study was aimed to investigate the efficacy of single use of sunitinib and that of concurrent or sequential administration of sunitinib and docetaxel in NSCLC cell lines that are resistant to EGFR TKIs.
NSCLC cell lines with EGFR T790M mutation and K-ras mutation were exposed to either sunitinib or docetaxel or both based on various sequential administrations. After exposure, the cell viability was measured by MTT assay, cell cycle distribution was analyzed by flow cytometry, and alterations in signaling pathway were determined by immunoblotting.
Sunitinib exhibited dose-dependent growth inhibition in NSCLC cell lines and arrested cell cycle at G1 phase, whereas docetaxel arrested at S phase. Although single or concurrent use of sunitinib and docetaxel has some anti-proliferative effects, the sequential administrations of both drugs remarkably enhanced anti-tumor activity. When cells were exposed to docetaxel followed by sunitinib, synergism was observed. The molecular basis of this synergism is that the signaling pathways that were initially activated by docetaxel exposure were efficiently suppressed by the subsequent exposure to sunitinib. In contrast, the reverse of this sequential administration resulted in antagonism, which may be due to differential effects on cell cycle arrest.
Sunitinib as a single agent exhibits anti-proliferative effects in vitro in NSCLC cell lines with EGFR T790M and K-ras mutations but the sequential administration of docetaxel followed by sunitinib is superior to sunitinib followed by docetaxel and concurrent administration.
KeywordsSunitinib Docetaxel NSCLC Sequence treatment
This work was granted by Anhui Provincial Science and Technology Agency Foundation of China (No. 07020304102) and supported by Guangdong Lung Cancer institute, Guangdong Academy of Medical Sciences. We thank Dr. Hongxia Tian for FACS analysis.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no potential conflict of interest.
- Albain KS, Green SJ, Ravdin PM, Cobau CD, Levine EG, Ingle JN, Pritchard KI, Schneider DJ, Abeloff MD, Norton L, Henderson IC, Lew D, Livingston RB, Martino S, Osborne CK (2002) Adjuvant chemohormonal therapy for primary breast cancer should be sequential instead of concurrent: initial results from intergroup trial 0100 (SWOG-8814) [abstract 143]. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 21:37aGoogle Scholar
- Eberhard DA, Johnson BE, Amler LC, Goddard AD, Heldens SL, Herbst RS, Ince WL, Jänne PA, Januario T, Johnson DH, Klein P, Miller VA, Ostland MA, Ramies DA, Sebisanovic D, Stinson JA, Zhang YR, Seshagiri S, Hillan KJ (2005) Mutations in the epidermal growth factor receptor and in KRAS are predictive and prognostic indicators in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer treated with chemotherapy alone and in combination with erlotinib. J Clin Oncol 23:5900–5909PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Faivre S, Delbaldo C, Vera K, Robert C, Lozahic S, Lassau N, Bello C, Deprimo S, Brega N, Massimini G, Armand JP, Scigalla P, Raymond E (2006) Safety, pharmacokinetic, and antitumor activity of SU11248, a novel oral multitarget tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol 24:25–35PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fukuoka M, Yano S, Giaccone G, Tamura T, Nakagawa K, Douillard JY, Nishiwaki Y, Vansteenkiste J, Kudoh S, Rischin D, Eek R, Horai T, Noda K, Takata I, Smit E, Averbuch S, Macleod A, Feyereislova A, Dong RP, Baselga J (2003) Multi-institutional randomized phase II trial of gefitinib for previously treated patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (The IDEAL 1 Trial) [corrected]. J Clin Oncol 21:2237–2246PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Furugaki K, Iwai T, Shirane M, Kondoh K, Moriya Y, Mori K (2010) Schedule-dependent antitumor activity of the combination with erlotinib and docetaxel in human non-small cell lung cancer cells with EGFR mutation, KRAS mutation or both wild-type EGFR and KRAS. Oncol Rep 24:1141–1146PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gatzemeier U, Pluzanska A, Szczesna A, Kaukel E, Roubec J, De Rosa F, Milanowski J, Karnicka-Mlodkowski H, Pesek M, Serwatowski P, Ramlau R, Janaskova T, Vansteenkiste J, Strausz J, Manikhas GM, Von Pawel J (2007) Phase III study of erlotinib in combination with cisplatin and gemcitabine in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: the Tarceva Lung Cancer Investigation Trial. J Clin Oncol 25:1545–1552PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Giaccone G, Herbst RS, Manegold C, Scagliotti G, Rosell R, Miller V, Natale RB, Schiller JH, Von Pawel J, Pluzanska A, Gatzemeier U, Grous J, Ochs JS, Averbuch SD, Wolf MK, Rennie P, Fandi A, Johnson DH (2004) Gefitinib in combination with gemcitabine and cisplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase III trial–INTACT 1. J Clin Oncol 22:777–784PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Goodman VL, Rock EP, Dagher R, Ramchandani RP, Abraham S, Gobburu JV, Booth BP, Verbois SL, Morse DE, Liang CY, Chidambaram N, Jiang JX, Tang S, Mahjoob K, Justice R, Pazdur R (2007) Approval summary: sunitinib for the treatment of imatinib refractory or intolerant gastrointestinal stromal tumors and advanced renal cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 13:1367–1373PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hanna N, Shepherd FA, Fossella FV, Pereira JR, De Marinis F, von Pawel J, Gatzemeier U, Tsao TC, Pless M, Muller T, Lim HL, Desch C, Szondy K, Gervais R, Shaharyar, Manegold C, Paul S, Paoletti P, Einhorn L, Bunn PA Jr (2004) Randomized phase III trial of pemetrexed versus docetaxel in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 22:1589–1597PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Herbst RS, Giaccone G, Schiller JH, Natale RB, Miller V, Manegold C, Scagliotti G, Rosell R, Oliff I, Reeves JA, Wolf MK, Krebs AD, Averbuch SD, Ochs JS, Grous J, Fandi A, Johnson DH (2004) Gefitinib in combination with paclitaxel and carboplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase III trial–INTACT 2. J Clin Oncol 22:785–794PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Herbst RS, Prager D, Hermann R, Fehrenbacher L, Johnson BE, Sandler A, Kris MG, Tran HT, Klein P, Li X, Ramies D, Johnson DH, Miller VA (2005) TRIBUTE: a phase III trial of erlotinib hydrochloride (OSI-774) combined with carboplatin and paclitaxel chemotherapy in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 23:5892–5899PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hui EP, Lui VW, Wong CS, Ma BB, Lau CP, Cheung CS, Ho K, Cheng SH, Ng MH, Chan AT (2010) Preclinical evaluation of sunitinib as single agent or in combination with chemotherapy in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Invest New Drugs. doi: 10.1007/s10637-010-9451-1
- Koukourakis MI, Giatromanolaki A, O’Byrne KJ, Comley M, Whitehouse RM, Talbot DC, Gatter KC, Harris AL (1997) Platelet-derived endothelial cell growth factor expression correlates with tumour angiogenesis and prognosis in non-small-cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer 75:477–481PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lynch TJ, Bell DW, Sordella R, Gurubhagavatula S, Okimoto RA, Brannigan BW, Harris PL, Haserlat SM, Supko JG, Haluska FG, Louis DN, Christiani DC, Settleman J, Haber DA (2004) Activating mutations in the epidermal growth factor receptor underlying responsiveness of non-small-cell lung cancer to gefitinib. N Engl J Med 350:2129–2139PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maemondo M, Inoue A, Kobayashi K, Sugawara S, Oizumi S, Isobe H, Gemma A, Harada M, Yoshizawa H, Kinoshita I, Fujita Y, Okinaga S, Hirano H, Yoshimori K, Harada T, Ogura T, Ando M, Miyazawa H, Tanaka T, Saijo Y, Hagiwara K, Morita S, Nukiwa T (2010) Gefitinib or chemotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer with mutated EGFR. N Engl J Med 362:2380–2388PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mahaffey CM, Davies AM, Lara PN Jr, Pryde B, Holland W, Mack PC, Gumerlock PH, Gandara DR (2007) Schedule-dependent apoptosis in K-ras mutant non-small-cell lung cancer cell lines treated with docetaxel and erlotinib: rationale for pharmacodynamic separation. Clin Lung Cancer 8:548–553PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Masago K, Fujita S, Togashi Y, Kim YH, Hatachi Y, Fukuhara A, Nagai H, Sakamori Y, Mio T, Mishima M (2011) Clinicopathologic factors affecting the progression-free survival of patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer after gefitinib therapy. Clin Lung Cancer 12:56–61PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mendel DB, Laird AD, Xin X, Louie SG, Christensen JG, Li G, Schreck RE, Abrams TJ, Ngai TJ, Lee LB, Murray LJ, Carver J, Chan E, Moss KG, Haznedar JO, Sukbuntherng J, Blake RA, Sun L, Tang C, Miller T, Shirazian S, McMahon G, Cherrington JM (2003) In vivo antitumor activity of SU11248, a novel tyrosine kinase inhibitor targeting vascular endothelial growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor receptors: determination of a pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic relationship. Clin Cancer Res 9:327–337PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mok TS, Wu YL, Thongprasert S, Yang CH, Chu DT, Saijo N, Sunpaweravong P, Han B, Margono B, Ichinose Y, Nishiwaki Y, Ohe Y, Yang JJ, Chewaskulyong B, Jiang H, Duffield EL, Watkins CL, Armour AA, Fukuoka M (2009) Gefitinib or carboplatin-paclitaxel in pulmonary adenocarcinoma. N Engl J Med 361:947–957PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- O’Farrell AM, Abrams TJ, Yuen HA, Ngai TJ, Louie SG, Yee KW, Wong LM, Hong W, Lee LB, Town A, Smolich BD, Manning WC, Murray LJ, Heinrich MC, Cherrington JM (2003) SU11248 is a novel FLT3 tyrosine kinase inhibitor with potent activity in vitro and in vivo. Blood 101:3597–3605PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Paez JG, Jänne PA, Lee JC, Tracy S, Greulich H, Gabriel S, Herman P, Kaye FJ, Lindeman N, Boggon TJ, Naoki K, Sasaki H, Fujii Y, Eck MJ, Sellers WR, Johnson BE, Meyerson M (2004) EGFR mutations in lung cancer: correlation with clinical response to gefitinib therapy. Science 304:1497–1500PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pfizer Inc (2010) Pfizer reports Progression-Free survival in SUN 1087 combination trial of sunitinib with erlotinib for NSCLC. IOP Publishing news-medical. http://www.news-medical.net/news/20100824/Pfizer-reports-Progression-Free-survival-in-SUN-1087-combination-trial-of-sunitinib-with-erlotinib-for-NSCLC.aspx. Accessed 24 Aug 2010
- Reck M, von Pawel J, Zatloukal P, Ramlau R, Gorbounova V, Hirsh V, Leighl N, Mezger J, Archer V, Moore N, Manegold C (2009) Phase III trial of cisplatin plus gemcitabine with either placebo or bevacizumab as first-line therapy for nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer: AVAil. J Clin Oncol 27:1227–1234PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Reck M, Frickhofen N, Cedres S, Gatzemeier U, Heigener D, Fuhr HG, Thall A, Lanzalone S, Stephenson P, Ruiz-Garcia A, Chao R, Felip E (2010) Sunitinib in combination with gemcitabine plus cisplatin for advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a phase I dose-escalation study. Lung Cancer 70:180–187PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Riely GJ, Pao W, Pham D, Li AR, Rizvi N, Venkatraman ES, Zakowski MF, Kris MG, Ladanyi M, Miller VA (2006) Clinical course of patients with non-small cell lung cancer and epidermal growth factor receptor exon 19 and exon 21 mutations treated with gefitinib or erlotinib. Clin Cancer Res 12:839–844PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shepherd FA, Rodrigues Pereira J, Ciuleanu T, Tan EH, Hirsh V, Thongprasert S, Campos D, Maoleekoonpiroj S, Smylie M, Martins R, van Kooten M, Dediu M, Findlay B, Tu D, Johnston D, Bezjak A, Clark G, Santabárbara P, Seymour L (2005) Erlotinib in previously treated non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 353:123–132PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shikada Y, Yonemitsu Y, Koga T, Onimaru M, Nakano T, Okano S, Sata S, Nakagawa K, Yoshino I, Maehara Y, Sueishi K (2005) Platelet-derived growth factor-AA is an essential and autocrine regulator of vascular endothelial growth factor expression in non-small cell lung carcinomas. Cancer Res 65:7241–7248PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Socinski MA, Novello S, Brahmer JR, Rosell R, Sanchez JM, Belani CP, Govindan R, Atkins JN, Gillenwater HH, Pallares C, Tye L, Selaru P, Chao RC, Scagliotti GV (2008) Multicenter, phase II trial of sunitinib in previously treated, advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 26:650–656PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tanaka T, Matsuoka M, Sutani A, Gemma A, Maemondo M, Inoue A, Okinaga S, Nagashima M, Oizumi S, Uematsu K, Nagai Y, Moriyama G, Miyazawa H, Ikebuchi K, Morita S, Kobayashi K, Hagiwara K (2010) Frequency of and variables associated with the EGFR mutation and its subtypes. Int J Cancer 126:651–655PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tsao MS, Sakurada A, Cutz JC, Zhu CQ, Kamel-Reid S, Squire J, Lorimer I, Zhang T, Liu N, Daneshmand M, Marrano P, da Cunha Santos G, Lagarde A, Richardson F, Seymour L, Whitehead M, Ding K, Pater J, Shepherd FA (2005) Erlotinib in lung cancer-molecular and clinical predictors of outcome. N Engl J Med 353:133–144PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yuan A, Yu CJ, Kuo SH, Chen WJ, Lin FY, Luh KT, Yang PC, Lee YC (2001) Vascular endothelial growth factor 189 mRNA isoform expression specifically correlates with tumor angiogenesis, patient survival, and postoperative relapse in non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 19:432–441PubMedGoogle Scholar