Inhibitory effect of cucurbitacin E on pancreatic cancer cells growth via STAT3 signaling
- 444 Downloads
Pancreatic cancer has been a serious disease worldwide for its high mortality. Cucurbitacin E is a member of triterpenoid family isolated from plants showing antiproliferative activity on various cancer cells. In this study, we have explored whether cucurbitacin E also has an anti-tumor effect on pancreatic cancer cells.
Human pancreatic cancer cells PANC-1 were used to explore the effect and possible mechanisms of cucurbitacin E on cell cycle progression, apoptosis and proliferation.
Cucurbitacin E has inhibited the growth of PANC-1 cells in a dose- and time-dependent manner, and has caused accumulation of cells at the G2/M phase as well as apoptosis. Western blotting also showed that cucurbitacin E treatment can inhibit STAT3 phosphorylation while upregulate p53 expression.
Our results suggested that cucurbitacin E may be an effective regimen for the chemotherapy of pancreatic cancer.
KeywordsCucurbitacin E p53 PANC-1 Pancreatic cancer STAT3
This work has been sponsored by grants from the Scientific Research Foundation for the Returned Overseas Chinese Scholars, State Education Ministry (20060331) and the Natural Science Foundation of Liaoning Province, China (20082092).
- Brell JM, Matin K, Evans T, Volkin RL, Kiefer GJ, Schlesselman JJ, Dranko S, Rath L, Schmotzer A, Lenzner D, Ramanathan RK (2009) Phase II study of docetaxel and gefitinib as second-line therapy in gemcitabine pretreated patients with advanced pancreatic cancer. Oncology 76:270–274CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kang SP, Saif MW (2008) Pharmacogenomics and pancreatic cancer treatment. Optimizing current therapy and individualizing future therapy. J Pancreas (Online) 9:251–266Google Scholar
- Kullmann F, Hollerbach S, Dollinger MM, Harder J, Fuchs M, Messmann H, Trojan J, Gabele E, Hinke A, Hollerbach C, Endlicher E (2009) Cetuximab plus gemcitabine/oxaliplatin (GEMOXCET) in first-line metastatic pancreatic cancer: a multicentre phase II study. Br J Cancer 100:1032–1036CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Moses SA, Ali MA, Zuohe S, Du-Cuny L, Zhou LL, Lemos R, Ihle N, Skillman AG, Zhang S, Mash EA, Powis G, Meuillet EJ (2009) In vitro and in vivo activity of novel small-molecule inhibitors targeting the pleckstrin homology domain of protein kinase B/AKT. Cancer Res 69:5073–5081CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pan X, Arumugam T, Yamamoto T, Levin PA, Ramachandran V, Ji B, Lopez-Berestein G, Vivas-Mejia PE, Sood AK, McConkey DJ, Logsdon CD (2008) Nuclear factor-kappaB p65/relA silencing induces apoptosis and increases gemcitabine effectiveness in a subset of pancreatic cancer cells. Clin Cancer Res 14:8143–8151CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wang ML, Foo KF (2009) Adjuvant chemoradiotherapy for high-risk pancreatic cancer. Singap Med J 50:43–48Google Scholar