Population alterations of l-arginase- and inducible nitric oxide synthase-expressed CD11b+/CD14−/CD15+/CD33+ myeloid-derived suppressor cells and CD8+ T lymphocytes in patients with advanced-stage non-small cell lung cancer
- 1.5k Downloads
Immune aberrations have been demonstrated in tumorogenesis, and myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSC) have shown to play a pivotal role in mediating immune suppression in animal models of human tumors. In the present study, we explored the clinical relevance of CD11b+/CD14−/CD15+/CD33+ MDSCs and the association of MDSCs with CD8+ cytotoxic T lymphocytes in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
Patients and methods
The population of CD11b+/CD14− cells in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMNC) was determined in 173 patients with NSCLC and 42 control subjects. The expression of CD15, CD33, IL-4R, INF-γR, iNOS and l-arginase were analyzed. Cocultures with CD8+ T lymphocytes and Jurkat cells were developed to determine the impact of MDSCs on the expression of CD3ζ of CD8+ T lymphocytes.
Patients with treatment-naïve, advanced-stage NSCLC (n = 87) had an increased subpopulation of CD11b+/CD14−/CD15+/CD33+ cells in the PBMNCs with characteristics of MDSCs (P < 0.0001). The CD11b+/CD14− cells in PBMNC also express IL-4R and INF-γR and can suppress CD3ζ expression in CD8+ T lymphocytes. The subpopulation of CD11b+/CD14− cells in PBMNC was decreased in the advanced-stage NSCLC patients who had responsiveness to chemotherapy (n = 41, P < 0.0001) and in the early-stage NSCLC patients after removal of tumor (n = 8, P = 0.0391). Notably, a negative association existed between the population of CD11b+/CD14− cells in PBMNC and the frequency of CD8+ T lymphocytes (n = 48, r = −0.3141, P = 0.0297).
Our study provided evidence of an increased pool of CD11b+/CD14−/CD15+/CD33+ MDSCs in the peripheral blood of NSCLC patients. For the suppressive effect of the cells on CD8+ T lymphocytes, these findings suggest the important role of the CD11b+/CD14−/CD15+/CD33+ MDSCs in mediating immunosuppression in NSCLC.
KeywordsMyeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSC) T lymphocytes Non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) Immunosuppression
The authors would like to thank Ms. Ya-Ling Chang and Ms. Chih-Chen Ho in the Department of Thoracic Medicine of the Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital for assisting with the flow cytometric study. This work was funded by the National Science Council of Taiwan (NSC 97-2314-B-182A-091-MY2) and the Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital (CMRPG-371651 and CMRPG-376373).
Conflict of interest statement
The authors indicated no potential conflicts of interest.
- Curiel TJ, Coukos G, Zou L, Alvarez X, Cheng P, Mottram P, Evdemon-Hogan M, Conejo-Garcia JR, Zhang L, Burow M, Zhu Y, Wei S, Kryczek I, Daniel B, Gordon A, Myers L, Lackner A, Disis ML, Knutson KL, Chen L, Zou W (2004) Specific recruitment of regulatory T cells in ovarian carcinoma fosters immune privilege and predicts reduced survival. Nat Med 10:942–949CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pittet MJ, Zippelius A, Speiser DE, Assenmacher M, Guillaume P, Valmori D, Liénard D, Lejeune F, Cerottini JC, Romero P (2001) Ex vivo IFN-γ secretion by circulating CD8 T lymphocytes: implications of a novel approach for T cell monitoring in infectious and malignant diseases. J Immunol 166:7634–7640PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rodriguez PC, Quiceno DG, Zabaleta J, Ortiz B, Zea AH, Piazuelo MB, Delgado A, Correa P, Brayer J, Sotomayor EM, Antonia S, Ochoa JB, Ochoa AC (2004) Arginase I production in the tumor microenvironment by mature myeloid cells inhibits T-cell receptor expression and antigen-specific T-cell responses. Cancer Res 64:5839–5849CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rosenberg SA, Sherry RM, Morton KE, Scharfman WJ, Yang JC, Topalian SL, Royal RE, Kammula U, Restifo NP, Hughes MS, Schwartzentruber D, Berman DM, Schwarz SL, Ngo LT, Mavroukakis SA, White DE, Steinberg SM (2005) Tumor progression can occur despite the induction of very high levels of self/tumor antigen-specific CD8+ T cells in patients with melanoma. J Immunol 175:6169–6176PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Schmielau J, Nalesnik MA, Finn OJ (2001) Suppressed T-cell receptor zeta chain expression and cytokine production in pancreatic cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res 7(3 Suppl):S933–S939Google Scholar