Clinical efficacy of all-trans retinoic acid for treating adult T cell leukemia
- 103 Downloads
We previously reported that all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA) inhibited growth in human T-cell leukemia virus type I (HTLV-I)-positive T-cell lines and in fresh cells from patients with adult T cell leukemia (ATL). Here, we confirmed the clinical effects of ATRA in 20 patients with ATL.
Materials and methods
The 20 patients (n = 20) with a median age of 56 (range 35–73) years who were diagnosed with ATL received ATRA orally.
The efficacy of treatment was as follows: no complete response (CR), a partial response (PR) in 40% of the patients, no change (NC) in 45% of the patients, and a progressive disease (PD) in 15% of the patients. In seven acute-type ATL patients, a PR was achieved in two (28.5%), NC was observed in two (28.5%), and a PD was observed in three (42.8%). In three lymphoma-type ATL patients, a PR (100%) was achieved. Among four chronic-type ATL patients, a PR was achieved in one (25%) and NC was observed in the remaining three (75%). In six smoldering-type ATL patients, a PR was achieved in two (33.3%) and NC was observed in four (66.6%). The major side effects were headache (n = 5), transient liver dysfunction (n = 2), hyperlipidemia (n = 2), and anorexia (n = 1).
These results indicated that ATRA might be a useful agent for the safe treatment of ATL.
KeywordsHTLV-I ATL ATRA Antitumor activity Apoptosis
The authors thank Mrs. K. Furukawa and Mrs. K. Niki for their technical support and Ms. S. Nagayama and Ms. S. Yoshida for preparing the manuscript.
- Hermine O, Wattel E, Gessain A, Bazarbachi A (1998) Adult T-cell leukemia: a review of established and new treatments. Bio Drugs 10:447–462Google Scholar
- Ljungman P, Lawler M, Asjo B, Bogdanovic G, Karlsson K, Malm C et al (1994) Infection of donor lymphocytes with human T-lymphotrophic virus type I (HTLV-I) following allogeneic bone marrow transplantation for HTLV-I positive adult T-cell leukemia. Br J Haematol 88:403–405PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shimoyama M (1992) Treatment of patients with adult T-cell leukemia-lymphoma: an overview. In: advances in adult T-cell leukemia and HTLV-I research. Scientific Societies Press, Tokyo, 39:43–56Google Scholar
- Taguchi H, Kinoshita KI, Takatsuki K, Tomonaga M, Araki K, Arima N et al (1996) An intensive chemotherapy of adult T-cell leukemia/Lymphoma: CHOP followed by etoposide, vindesine, ranimustine, and mitoxantrone with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor support. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 12:182–189PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Trump DL (1994) Retinoid in bladder, testis and prostate cancer: epidemiologic, pre-clinical and clinical observations. Leukemia 8:50–54Google Scholar