Cytoarchitecture of the human lateral occipital cortex: mapping of two extrastriate areas hOc4la and hOc4lp
The microstructural correlates of the functional segregation of the human lateral occipital cortex are largely unknown. Therefore, we analyzed the cytoarchitecture of this region in ten human post-mortem brains using an observer-independent and statistically testable parcellation method to define the position and extent of areas in the lateral occipital cortex. Two new cytoarchitectonic areas were found: an anterior area hOc4la and a posterior area hOc4lp. hOc4la was located behind the anterior occipital sulcus in rostral and ventral portions of this region where it occupies the anterior third of the middle and inferior lateral occipital gyri. hOc4lp was found in caudal and dorsal portions of this region where it extends along the superior and middle lateral occipital gyri. The cytoarchitectonic areas were registered to 3D reconstructions of the corresponding brains, which were subsequently spatially normalized to the Montreal Neurological Institute reference space. Continuous probabilistic maps of both areas based on the analysis of ten brains were generated to characterize their inter-subject variability in location and size. The maps of hOc4la and hOc4lp were then used as seeds for meta-analytic connectivity modeling and quantitative functional decoding to identify their co-activation patterns and assignment to functional domains. Convergent evidence from their location, topography, size, functional domains and connectivity indicates that hOc4la and hOc4lp are the potential anatomical correlates of the functionally defined lateral occipital areas LO-1 and LO-2.
KeywordsHuman visual cortex Cytoarchitecture Lateral occipital cortex Probabilistic maps Brain mapping Functional meta-analysis LO-1 LO-2
The research leading to these results was partly funded by the European Union Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) under grant agreement No. 604102 (Human Brain Project). The authors thank Mrs. Ursula Blohm and Ms. Ferdag Kocaer for excellent histological assistance, and Dr. Sebastian Bludau for technical support.
- Cieslik EC, Zilles K, Caspers S, Roski C, Kellermann TS, Jakobs O, Langner R, Laird AR, Fox PT, Eickhoff S (2013) Is there “One” DLPFC in cognitive action control? Evidence for heterogeneity from co-activation-based parcellation. Cereb Cortex 23(11):2677–2689CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Eickhoff SB, Laird AR, Grefkes C, Wang LE, Zilles K, Fox PT (2009) Coordinate-based activation likelihood estimation meta-analysis of neuroimaging data: a random-effects approach based on empirical estimates of spatial uncertainty. Hum Brain Mapp 30(9):2907–2926CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Evans AC, Collins DL, Mills SR, Brown ED, Kelly RL, Peters TM (1993) 3D statistical neuroanatomical models from 305 MRI volumes. In: Proceeding of the IEEE-NSS-MI Symposium London. MTP press, UK, pp 1813–1817Google Scholar
- Goldman-Rakic PS (1984) Modular organization of prefrontal cortex. TINS 7:419–429Google Scholar
- Goldman-Rakic PS (1995) Anatomical and functional circuits in prefrontal cortex of nonhuman primates. In: Jasper HH, Riggio S, Goldman-Rakic PS (eds) Epilepsy and the Functional Anatomy of the Frontal Lobe. Raven Press, New York, pp 51–65Google Scholar
- Laird AR, Eickhoff SB, Fox PM, Uecker AM, Ray KL, Saenz JJ Jr, McKay DR, Bzdok D, Laird RW, Robinson JL, Turner JA, Turkeltaub PE, Lancaster JL, Fox PT (2011) The BrainMap strategy for standardization, sharing, and meta-analysis of neuroimaging data. BMC Res Notes 4(349):349CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Mahalanobis PC, Majumda DN, Rao DC (1949) Anthropometric survey of the united provinces. A statistical study. Sankhya 9:89–324Google Scholar
- Malikovic A, Amunts K, Schleicher A, Mohlberg H, Eickhoff SB, Wilms M, Palomero-Gallagher N, Armstrong E, Zilles K (2007) Cytoarchitectonic analysis of the human extrastriate cortex in the region V5/MT+: a probabilistic, stereotaxic map of area hOc5. Cereb Cortex 17(3):562–574CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sarkisov SA, Filimonoff IN, Preobrashenskaya NS (1949) Cytoarchitecture of the human cortex cerebri. Medgiz, Moscow, Russia (in Russian)Google Scholar
- Talairach J, Tournoux P (1988) Coplanar stereotaxic atlas of the human brain. Thieme, StuttgartGoogle Scholar