Considering structural connectivity in the triple code model of numerical cognition: differential connectivity for magnitude processing and arithmetic facts
- 831 Downloads
The current study provides a generalizable account of the anatomo-functional associations as well as the connectivity of representational codes underlying numerical processing as suggested by the triple code model (TCM) of numerical cognition. By evaluating the neural networks subserving numerical cognition in two specific and substantially different numerical tasks with regard to both grey matter localizations as well as white matter tracts we (1) considered the possibility of additional memory-related cortex areas crucial for arithmetic fact retrieval (e.g., the hippocampus); (2) specified the functional involvement of prefrontal areas in number magnitude processing, and, finally; (3) identified the connections between these anatomo-functional instantiations of the representations involved in number magnitude processing and arithmetic fact retrieval employing probabilistic fiber tracking. The resulting amendments to the TCM are summarized in a schematic update, and ideas concerning the possible functional interplay between number magnitude processing and arithmetic fact retrieval are discussed.
KeywordsDiffusion tensor imaging fMRI Probabilistic fiber tracking Numerical cognition Triple code model
This research was supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG) to Klaus Willmes (Wl 1804/6-1), Hans-Otto Karnath (KA 1258/11-1), Korbinian Moeller (MO 2525/2-1), and André Knops (KN 959/2-1) as well as by the Leibniz-Competition Fund (SAW) providing funding to Elise Klein (SAW-2014-IWM-4). We are indebted to the “Brain Imaging Facility of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Clinical Research within the Faculty of Medicine at the RWTH Aachen University” for their precious help in acquiring the MRI/fMRI data.
- Catani M, Thiebaut de Schotten M (2012) Atlas of Human Brain Connections. Oxford University PressGoogle Scholar
- Dehaene S, Cohen L (1995) Towards an anatomical and functional model of number processing. Math Cogn 1:83–120Google Scholar
- Miller EK (2000) The prefrontal cortex and cognitive control. Nat Rev Neurosci 1:58–65Google Scholar
- Oishi K, Faria AV, Zijl PCM, Mori S (2011) MRI atlas of the human white matter, 2nd edn. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Saur D, Schelter B, Schnell S, Kratochvil D, Küpper H, Kellmeyer P, Kümmerer D, Klöppel S, Glauche V, Lange R, Mader W, Feess D, Timmer J, Weiller C (2010) Combining functional and anatomical connectivity reveals brain networks for auditory language comprehension. NeuroImage 49:3187–3197CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zaitsev M, Hennig J, Ilyasov KA (2006) Geometric distortions applied to diffusion tensor imaging. Annual Meeting of the international society for magnetic resonance in medicine, SeattleGoogle Scholar