Head and neck manifestations of an undiagnosed McCune-Albright syndrome: clinicopathological description and literature review
Craniofacial fibrous dysplasia, characteristic of McCune-Albright syndrome (MAS), is usually present in patients with MAS-related acromegaly. We report here the first case of a patient with an undiagnosed MAS presenting with an acute hydrocephalus. A 21-year-old male with gigantism and craniofacial fibrous dysplasia consulted for rapidly progressive headache. An acute obstructive hydrocephalus due to a 39 × 35-mm cystic lesion in the third ventricle was discovered and operated, obtaining hydrocephalus resolution. Pathology described a colloid cyst material and a growth hormone-secreting pituitary adenoma. Genetic study revealed the mosaic GNAS R201H mutation in the pituitary tissue, confirming a MAS diagnosis. Adequate hormonal control was achieved postoperatively. Our results suggest that long-term untreated growth hormone excess in patients with MAS-related craniofacial fibrous dysplasia might end compromising cerebrospinal fluid flow. A prompt diagnosis and coordinated multidisciplinary treatment may help to avoid long-term deleterious impact of hyperfunctioning endocrinopathies in these patients.
KeywordsGigantism Fibrous dysplasia Headache McCune-Albright syndrome
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Informed consent was obtained from the patient included in the study.
- 2.Salenave S, Boyce AM, Collins MT, Chanson P (2012) Acromegaly and McCune-Albright syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99:1955–1969Google Scholar
- 4.Vortmeyer AO, Gläsker S, Mehta GU, Abu-Asab MS, Smith JH, Zhuang Z, Collins MT, Oldfield EH (2012) Somatic GNAS mutation causes widespread and diffuse pituitary disease in acromegalic patients with McCune-Albright syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:2404–2413CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.Galland F, Kamenicky P, Affres H, Reznik Y, Pontvert D, le Bouc Y, Young J, Chanson P (2006) McCune-Albright syndrome and acromegaly: effects of hypothalamopituitary radiotherapy and/or pegvisomant in somatostatin analog-resistant patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4957–4961CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Okamoto S, Hisaoka M, Ushijima M, Nakahara Nakahara S, Toyoshima S, Hashimoto H (2000) Activating Gs(alpha) mutation in intramuscular myxomas with and without fibrous dysplasia of bone. Virchows Arch 437:133–137Google Scholar
- 12.Wood LD, Noë M, Hackeng W, Brosens LAA, Bhaijee F, Debeljak M, Yu J, Suenaga M, Singhi AD, Zaheer A, Boyce A, Robinson C, Eshleman JR, Goggins MG, Hruban RH, Collins MT, Lennon AM, Montgomery EA (2017) Patients with McCune-Albright syndrome have a broad spectrum of abnormalities in the gastrointestinal tract and pancreas. Virchows Arch 470:391–400CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar