A case of dedifferentiated solitary fibrous tumor in the pelvis with TP53 mutation
- 390 Downloads
Solitary fibrous tumors (SFTs), initially observed in the pleura, were later found to develop in almost any extrapleural site. Dedifferentiation within SFTs was characterized only recently. We report a case of dedifferentiated SFT arising within the pelvis of a 70-year-old Japanese woman. Macroscopically, the resected tumor measured 17 × 17 × 13 cm. Histologically, the tumor displayed distinct heterologous osteosarcomatous and chondrosarcomatous components on a background of conventional SFT. Immunohistochemistry uncovered a loss of CD34 expression in the dedifferentiated area, whereas the nuclear expression of signal transducer and activator of transcription-6 (STAT6) and NGFI-A-binding protein 2 (NAB2) was maintained in both components. The p53 mutation 158 CGC > CAC (A158H) was found only in the dedifferentiated component. Furthermore, a fusion gene of NAB2(exon6)-STAT6(exon18) was detected in both the conventional and dedifferentiated components. The patient died of the disease 4 months after surgery. This case identifies a possible role of p53 dysfunction in the dedifferentiation process of SFT as reported in other sarcomas.
KeywordsSolitary fibrous tumor STAT6 NAB2-STAT6 Dedifferentiation
This work was supported in part by a Grant-in-Aid for General Scientific Research from the Ministry of Education, Science, Sports and Culture (#26670286 to Tsuyoshi Saito), Tokyo, Japan.
- 3.WHO Classification Tumours of Soft Tissue and Bone 2013, edited by Fletcher CDM, Bridge JA, Hogendoorn PCW, Mertens F. p.10. IARC Press World Health Organization International Agency for Research on CancerGoogle Scholar
- 12.Schweizer L, Koelsche C, Sahm F, Piro RM, Capper D, Reuss DE, Pusch S, Habel A, Meyer J, Göck T, Jones DT, Mawrin C, Schittenhelm J, Becker A, Heim S, Simon M, Herold-Mende C, Mechtersheimer G, Paulus W, König R, Wiestler OD, Pfister SM, von Deimling A (2013) Meningeal hemangiopericytoma and solitary fibrous tumors carry the NAB2-STAT6 fusion and can be diagnosed by nuclear expression of STAT6 protein. Acta Neuropathol 125:651–658PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Robinson DR, Wu YM, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Cao X, Lonigro RJ, Sung YS, Chen CL, Zhang L, Wang R, Su F, Iyer MK, Roychowdhury S, Siddiqui J, Pienta KJ, Kunju LP, Talpaz M, Mosquera JM, Singer S, Schuetze SM, Antonescu CR, Chinnaiyan AM (2013) Identification of recurrent NAB2-STAT6 gene fusions in solitary fibrous tumor by integrative sequencing. Nat Genet 45:180–185PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 16.Mohajeri A, Tayebwa J, Collin A, Nilsson J, Magnusson L, von Steyern FV, Brosjö O, Domanski HA, Larsson O, Sciot R, Debiec-Rychter M, Hornick JL, Mandahl N, Nord KH, Mertens F (2013) Comprehensive genetic analysis identifies a pathognomonic NAB2/STAT6 fusion gene, nonrandom secondary genomic imbalances, and a characteristic gene expression profile in solitary fibrous tumor. Gene Chromosome Cancer 52:873–886CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Kusafuka K, Takizawa Y, Ueno T, Ishiki H, Asano R, Kamijo T, Iida Y, Ebihara M, Ota Y, Onitsuka T, Kameya T (2008) Dedifferentiated epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the parotid gland: a rare case report of immunohistochemical analysis and review of the literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 106:85–91PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Schirosi L, Lantuejoul S, Cavazza A, Murer B, Yves Brichon P, Migaldi M, Sartori G, Sgambato A, Rossi G (2008) Pleuro-pulmonary solitary fibrous tumors: a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular study of 88 cases confirming the prognostic value of de Perrot staging system and p53 expression, and evaluating the role of c-kit, BRAF, PDGFRs (alpha/beta), c-met, and EGFR. Am J Surg Pathol 32:1627–1642PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Tsuji S, Hisaoka M, Morimitsu Y, Hashimoto H, Shimajiri S, Komiya S, Ushijima M, Nakamura T (1998) Detection of SYT-SSX fusion transcripts in synovial sarcoma by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction using archival paraffin-embedded tissues. Am J Pathol 153:1807–1812PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 29.Boyd C, McCluggage WG (2012) Low-grade ovarian serous neoplasms (low-grade serous carcinoma and serous borderline tumor) associated with high-grade serous carcinoma or undifferentiated carcinoma: report of a series of cases of an unusual phenomenon. Am J Surg Pathol 36:368–375PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Romero-Pérez L, López-García MÁ, Díaz-Martín J, Biscuola M, Castilla MÁ, Tafe LJ, Garg K, Oliva E, Matias-Guiu X, Soslow RA, Palacios J (2013) ZEB1 overexpression associated with E-cadherin and microRNA-200 downregulation is characteristic of undifferentiated endometrial carcinoma. Mod Pathol 26:1514–1524PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Barthelmeß S, Geddert H, Boltze C, Moskalev EA, Bieg M, Sirbu H, Brors B, Wiemann S, Hartmann A, Agaimy A, Haller F (2014) Solitary fibrous tumors/hemangiopericytomas with different variants of the NAB2-STAT6 gene fusion are characterized by specific histomorphology and distinct clinicopathological features. Am J Pathol 184:1209–1218PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar