Expression of osteoprotegerin correlates with aggressiveness and poor prognosis of gastric carcinoma
Osteoprotegerin (OPG), identical with osteoclastogenesis inhibitory factor, is a member of a subgroup of the tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-receptor superfamily, which functions as a soluble decoy receptor. It has been reported that OPG expression is associated with bone metastasis of cancer of the breast and prostate. In the present study, we examined the expression of OPG in gastric carcinomas using immunohistochemistry and reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction methods, and compared with clinicopathological parameters. The expression of OPG mRNA was confirmed in a gastric carcinoma cell line (MKN-7) and gastric carcinoma tissues. Immunohistochemically, strongly positive staining of OPG was found in 65% (67/103) of gastric carcinomas, whereas OPG protein was not detected in non-neoplastic mucosal epithelia. The expression of OPG protein in gastric carcinoma tissues correlates significantly with depth of tumor invasion, nodal metastases and advanced tumor stage. Furthermore, the prognosis of the cases with strong OPG expression was significantly worse than those with weak or no expression of OPG. These results suggest that OPG may participate in stomach carcinogenesis, invasion and metastasis, and may serve as a novel molecular marker for aggressive gastric cancer.
KeywordsOsteoprotegerin Aggressiveness Gastric carcinoma
- 7.Japanese Research Society for Gastric Cancer (ed) (1995) Japanese Classification of Gastric Carcinoma, 1st English edn. Kanehara & Co., Ltd, Tokyo, pp 38–65Google Scholar
- 8.Lacey DL, Timms E, Tan HL, Kelley MJ, Dunstan CR, Burgess T, Elliott R, Colombero A, Elliott G, Scully S, Hsu H, Sullivan J, Hawkins N, Davy E, Capparelli C, Eli A, Qian YX, Kaufman S, Sarosi I, Shalhoub V, Senaldi G, Guo J, Delaney J, Boyle WJ (1998) Osteoprotegerin ligand is a cytokine that regulates osteoclast differentiation and activation. Cell 93:165–176PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Ochiai A, Yasui W, Tahara E (1985) Establishment and characterization of human signet ring cell gastric carcinoma cell lines with amplification of the c-myc oncogene. Cancer Res 57:3669–3671Google Scholar
- 15.Simonet WS, Lacey DL, Dunstan CR, Kelley M, Chang MS, Luthy R, Nguyen HQ, Wooden S, Bennett L, Boone T, Shimamoto G, DeRose M, Elliott R, Colombero A, Tan HL, Trail G, Sullivan J, Davy E, Bucay N, Renshaw Gegg L, Hughes TM, Hill D, Pattison W, Campbell P, Boyle WJ et al (1997) Osteoprotegerin: a novel secreted protein involved in the regulation of bone density. Cell 89:309–319PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Yasuda H, Shima N, Nakagawa N, Yamaguchi K, Kinosaki M, Mochizuki S, Tomoyasu A, Yano K, Goto M, Murakami A, Tsuda E, Morinaga T, Higashio K, Udagawa N, Takahashi N, Suda T (1998) Osteoclast differentiation factor is a ligand for osteoprotegerin/osteoclastogenesis-inhibitory factor and is identical to TRANCE/RANKL. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95:3597–3602PubMedGoogle Scholar