Characterization of LuWRKY36, a flax transcription factor promoting secoisolariciresinol biosynthesis in response to Fusarium oxysporum elicitors in Linum usitatissimum L. hairy roots
- 270 Downloads
The involvement of a WRKY transcription factor in the regulation of lignan biosynthesis in flax using a hairy root system is described.
Secoisolariciresinol is the main flax lignan synthesized by action of LuPLR1 (pinoresinol–lariciresinol reductase 1). LuPLR1 gene promoter deletion experiments have revealed a promoter region containing W boxes potentially responsible for the response to Fusarium oxysporum. W boxes are bound by WRKY transcription factors that play a role in the response to stress. A candidate WRKY transcription factor, LuWRKY36, was isolated from both abscisic acid and Fusarium elicitor-treated flax cell cDNA libraries. This transcription factors contains two WRKY DNA-binding domains and is a homolog of AtWRKY33. Different approaches confirmed LuWRKY36 binding to a W box located in the LuPLR1 promoter occurring through a unique direct interaction mediated by its N-terminal WRKY domain. Our results propose that the positive regulator action of LuWRKY36 on the LuPLR1 gene regulation and lignan biosynthesis in response to biotic stress is positively mediated by abscisic acid and inhibited by ethylene. Additionally, we demonstrate a differential Fusarium elicitor response in susceptible and resistant flax cultivars, seen as a faster and stronger LuPLR1 gene expression response accompanied with higher secoisolariciresinol accumulation in HR of the resistant cultivar.
KeywordsAbscisic acid Biotic stress Lignan Linum usitatissimum L. Pinoresinol–lariciresinol reductase Promoter WRKY
Electrophoretic mobility shift assay
Lucija Markulin received a grant from the French Ministry of Research and Higher Education.
Compliance with ethical standard
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interest.
- Bae H, Kim MS, Sicher RC et al (2006) Necrosis- and ethylene-inducing peptide from Fusarium oxysporum induces a complex cascade of transcripts associated with signal transduction and cell death in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol 141:1056–1067. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.106.076869 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Corbin C, Decourtil C, Marosevic D et al (2013a) Role of protein farnesylation events in the ABA-mediated regulation of the Pinoresinol-Lariciresinol Reductase 1 (LuPLR1) gene expression and lignan biosynthesis in flax (Linum usitatissimum L.). Plant Physiol Biochem 72:96–111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2013.06.001 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Corbin C, Renouard S, Lopez T et al (2013b) Identification and characterization of cis-acting elements involved in the regulation of ABA- and/or GA-mediated LuPLR1 gene expression and lignan biosynthesis in flax (Linum usitatissimum L.) cell cultures. J Plant Physiol 170:516–522. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jplph.2012.11.003 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- DeLano (2002) The PyMOL molecular graphics system. DeLano Scientific, Palo Alto, CAGoogle Scholar
- Dellagi A, Heilbronn J, Avrova AO et al (2000) A Potato Gene Encoding a WRKY-like transcription factor is induced in interactions with Erwinia carotovora subsp. atroseptica and Phytophthora infestans and is coregulated with class I endochitinase expression. Mol Plant-Microbe Interact MPMI 13:1092–1101. https://doi.org/10.1094/MPMI.2000.13.10.1092 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fang J, Ramsay A, Renouard S et al (2016) Laser microdissection and spatiotemporal pinoresinol-lariciresinol reductase gene expression assign the cell layer-specific accumulation of secoisolariciresinol diglucoside in flaxseed coats. Front Plant Sci 7:1743. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.01743 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Haile ZM, Pilati S, Sonego P et al (2017) Molecular analysis of the early interaction between the grapevine flower and Botrytis cinerea reveals that prompt activation of specific host pathways leads to fungus quiescence. Plant Cell Environ 40:1409–1428. https://doi.org/10.1111/pce.12937 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hano C, Renouard S, Molinié R et al (2013) Flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum L.) extract as well as (+)-secoisolariciresinol diglucoside and its mammalian derivatives are potent inhibitors of Î ± -amylase activity. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 23:3007–3012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2013.03.029 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Jennings JC, Apel-Birkhold PC, Bailey BA, Anderson JD (2000) Induction of ethylene biosynthesis and necrosis in weed leaves by a Fusarium oxysporum. Weed Sci 48:7–14. https://doi.org/10.1614/0043-1745(2000)048%5b0007:IOEBAN%5d2.0.CO;2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lanubile A, Ferrarini A, Maschietto V et al (2014) Functional genomic analysis of constitutive and inducible defense responses to Fusarium verticillioides infection in maize genotypes with contrasting ear rot resistance. BMC Genomics 15:710. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2164-15-710 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Logemann E, Birkenbihl RP, Rawat V et al (2013) Functional dissection of the PROPEP2 and PROPEP3 promoters reveals the importance of WRKY factors in mediating microbe-associated molecular pattern-induced expression. New Phytol 198:1165–1177. https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.12233 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lorenc-Kukula K, Zuk M, Kulma A, Czemplik M, Kostyn K, Skala J et al (2009) Engineering flax with the GT family 1 Solanum sogarandinum glycosyltransferase SsGT1 confers increased resistance to Fusarium infection. J Agric Food Chem 57:6698–6705. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf900833k CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ma R, Xiao Y, Lv Z, Tan H, Chen R, Li Q, Chen J, Wang Y, Yin J, Zhang L, Chen W (2017) Transcription factor, Ii049, positively regulates lignan biosynthesis in Isatis indigotica through activating salicylic acid signaling and lignan/lignin pathway genes. Front Plant Sci 8:1361. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2017.01361 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Markulin L, Drouet S, Corbin C, Decourtil C, Garros L, Renouard S, Lopez T, Mongelard G, Gutierrez L, Auguin D, Laine E, Hano C (2019b) The control exerted by ABA on lignan biosynthesis in flax (Linum usitatissimum L.) is modulated by a Ca2+ signal transduction involving the calmodulin-like LuCML15b. J Plant Physiol 236:74–87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jplph.2019.03.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Matoušek J, Kocábek T, Patzak J et al (2016) The “putative” role of transcription factors from HlWRKY family in the regulation of the final steps of prenylflavonid and bitter acids biosynthesis in hop (Humulus lupulus L.). Plant Mol Biol 92:263–277. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11103-016-0510-7 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Murashige T, Skoog F (1962) A revised medium for rapid growth and bio assays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol Plant 15:473–497. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.1962.tb08052.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Olivain C, Trouvelot S, Binet M-NM-N et al (2003) Colonization of flax roots and early physiological responses of flax cells inoculated with pathogenic and nonpathogenic strains of Fusarium oxysporum. Appl Environ Microbiol 69:5453–5462. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.69.9.5453-5462.2003 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Renouard S, Tribalatc M-A, Lamblin F et al (2014) RNAi-mediated pinoresinol lariciresinol reductase gene silencing in flax (Linum usitatissimum L.) seed coat: consequences on lignans and neolignans accumulation. J Plant Physiol 171:1372–1377. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jplph.2014.06.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wei W, Cui M-Y, Hu Y et al (2018) Ectopic expression of FvWRKY42, a WRKY transcription factor from the diploid woodland strawberry (Fragaria vesca), enhances resistance to powdery mildew, improves osmotic stress resistance, and increases abscisic acid sensitivity in Arabidopsis. Plant Sci 275:60–74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2018.07.010 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Xiao Y, Ji Q, Gao S, Tan H, Chen R, Li Q, Chen J, Yang Y, Zhang L, Wang Z, Chen W, Hu Z (2015) Combined transcriptome and metabolite profiling reveals that IiPLR1 plays an important role in lariciresinol accumulation in Isatis indigotica. J Exp Bot 66:6259–6271. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erv333 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yang L, Ye C, Zhao Y et al (2018) An oilseed rape WRKY-type transcription factor regulates ROS accumulation and leaf senescence in Nicotiana benthamiana and Arabidopsis through modulating transcription of RbohD and RbohF. Planta 247:1323–1338. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00425-018-2868-z CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhang L, Chen J, Zhou X, Chen X, Li Q, Tan H, Dong X, Xiao Y, Chen L, Chen W (2016) Dynamic metabolic and transcriptomic profiling of methyl jasmonate-treated hairy roots reveals synthetic characters and regulators of lignan biosynthesis in Isatis indigotica Fort. Plant Biotechnol J 14:2217–2227. https://doi.org/10.1111/pbi.12576 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar