Physiological function of photoreceptor UVR8 in UV-B tolerance in the liverwort Marchantia polymorpha
The physiological importance of MpUVR8 in UV-B resistance and translocation in a UV-B-dependent manner from the cytosol into the nucleus is characterized in Marchantia polymorpha.
UV RESISTANCE LOCUS 8 (UVR8) is an ultraviolet-B (UV-B) light receptor functioning for UV-B sensing and tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana and other species. It is unclear whether UVR8 physiologically functions in UV-B-induced defense responses in Marchantia polymorpha, which belongs to the earliest diverging group of embryophyte lineages. Here, we demonstrate that UVR8 has a physiological function in UV-B tolerance and that there is a UVR8-dependent pathway involved. In addition, a UVR8-independent pathway is revealed. We examine the tissue-specific expression pattern of M. polymorpha UVR8 (MpUVR8), showing that it is highly expressed in the apical notch in thalli and gametangiophores, as well as in antheridial and archegonial heads. Furthermore, Mpuvr8KO plant transformants, in which the MpUVR8 locus was disrupted, were produced and analyzed to understand the physiological and molecular function of MpUVR8. Analysis using these plants indicates the important roles of MpUVR8 and MpUVR8-regulated genes, and of MpUVR8-independent pathways in UV-B tolerance. Subcellular localization of Citrine-fused MpUVR8 in M. polymorpha cells was also investigated. It was found to translocate from the cytosol into the nucleus in response to UV-B irradiation. Our findings indicate strong conservation of the physiological function of UVR8 and the molecular mechanisms for UVR8-dependent signal transduction through regulation of gene expression in embryophytes.
KeywordsLand plant Nuclear translocation UV-B-absorbing compounds UV-B signal transduction UVR8-independent pathway
CONSTITUTIVELY PHOTOMORPHOGENIC 1
Cyclobutane pyrimidine dimers
ELONGATED HYPOCOTYL 5
Reactive oxygen species
We appreciate the helpful discussions with Jun Hidema, Mika Teranishi, Shohei Yamaoka, Tianhong Li and Shinya Takahashi. We also thank Tatsuya Takizawa, Yasumasa Uemura, Moemi Sekikawa, Keisuke Takeda, Masahiko Ebisawa, Miho Yamaoki, Syun Sugama, Toshiki Takeda, Seika Sadahisa, Koichiro Seto, Syota Takei, Takao Masuda, Masaki Ishida, and Syota Yokoi for technical support. This work was supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant no. 25450158 to YK and 17K15145 to KI.
- Albert NW, Thrimawithana AH, McGhie TK, Clayton WA, Deroles SC, Schwinn KE, Bowman JL, Jordan BR, Davies KM (2018) Genetic analysis of the liverwort Marchantia polymorpha reveals that R2R3MYB activation of flavonoid production in response to abiotic stress is an ancient character in land plants. New Phytol 218(2):554–566. https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.15002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Allorent G, Lefebvre-Legendre L, Chappuis R, Kuntz M, Truong TB, Niyogi KK, Ulm R, Goldschmidt-Clermont M (2016) UV-B photoreceptor-mediated protection of the photosynthetic machinery in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 113(51):14864–14869. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1607695114 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Binkert M, Kozma-Bognar L, Terecskei K, De Veylder L, Nagy F, Ulm R (2014) UV-B-responsive association of the Arabidopsis bZIP transcription factor ELONGATED HYPOCOTYL5 with target genes, including its own promoter. Plant Cell 26(10):4200–4213. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.114.130716 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Brosché M, Strid A (2003) Molecular events following perception of ultraviolet-B radiation by plants. Physiol Plant 117:1–10. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1399-3054.2003.1170101.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Christie JM, Arvai AS, Baxter KJ, Heilmann M, Pratt AJ, O’Hara A, Kelly SM, Hothorn M, Smith BO, Hitomi K, Jenkins GI, Getzoff ED (2012) Plant UVR8 photoreceptor senses UV-B by tryptophan-mediated disruption of cross-dimer salt bridges. Science 335(6075):1492–1496. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1218091 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Clayton WA, Albert NW, Thrimawithana AH, McGhie TK, Deroles SC, Schwinn KE, Warren BA, McLachlan ARG, Bowman JL, Jordan BR, Davies KM (2018) UVR8-mediated induction of flavonoid biosynthesis for UVB tolerance is conserved between the liverwort Marchantia polymorpha and flowering plants. Plant J 96(3):503–517. https://doi.org/10.1111/tpj.14044 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Favory JJ, Stec A, Gruber H, Rizzini L, Oravecz A, Funk M, Albert A, Cloix C, Jenkins GI, Oakeley EJ, Seidlitz HK, Nagy F, Ulm R (2009) Interaction of COP1 and UVR8 regulates UV-B-induced photomorphogenesis and stress acclimation in Arabidopsis. EMBO J 28(5):591–601. https://doi.org/10.1038/emboj.2009.4 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ishizaki K, Nishihama R, Ueda M, Inoue K, Ishida S, Nishimura Y, Shikanai T, Kohchi T (2015) Development of Gateway binary vector series with four different selection markers for the liverwort Marchantia polymorpha. PLoS One 10(9):e0138876. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0138876 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jansen M (2002) Ultraviolet-B radiation effects on plants: induction of morphogenic responses. Physiol Plant 116:423–429. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1399-3054.2002.1160319.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jenkins GI (2008) Environmental regulation of flavonoid biosynthesis. In: Givens DI, Minihane AM, Shaw E (eds) Health benefits of organic food: effects of the environment. CABI, Wallingford, pp 1147–1155Google Scholar
- Jenkins GI (2009) Signal transduction in responses to UV-B radiation. Annu Rev Plant Biol 60:407–431. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.arplant.59.032607.092953 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kubo H, Nozawa S, Hiwatashi T, Kondou Y, Nakabayashi R, Mori T, Saito K, Takanashi K, Kohchi T, Ishizaki K (2018) Biosynthesis of riccionidins and marchantins is regulated by R2R3-MYB transcription factors in Marchantia polymorpha. J Plant Res 131(5):849–864. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10265-018-1044-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li N, Teranishi M, Yamaguchi H, Matsushita T, Watahiki MK, Tsuge T, Li SS, Hidema J (2015) UV-B-induced CPD photolyase gene expression is regulated by UVR8-dependent and -independent pathways in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell Physiol 56(10):2014–2023. https://doi.org/10.1093/pcp/pcv121 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Soriano G, Cloix C, Heilmann M, Nunez-Olivera E, Martinez-Abaigar J, Jenkins GI (2017) Evolutionary conservation of structure and function of the UVR8 photoreceptor from the liverwort Marchantia polymorpha and the moss Physcomitrella patens. New Phytol. https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.14767 Google Scholar
- Stracke R, Favory JJ, Gruber H, Bartelniewoehner L, Bartels S, Binkert M, Funk M, Weisshaar B, Ulm R (2010) The Arabidopsis bZIP transcription factor HY5 regulates expression of the PFG1/MYB12 gene in response to light and ultraviolet-B radiation. Plant Cell Environ 33(1):88–103. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3040.2009.02061.x Google Scholar