The microtubule-associated RING finger protein 1 (OsMAR1) acts as a negative regulator for salt-stress response through the regulation of OCPI2 (O. sativa chymotrypsin protease inhibitor 2)
- 624 Downloads
Our results suggest that a rice E3 ligase, OsMAR1, physically interacts with a cytosolic protein OCPI2 and may play an important role under salinity stress.
Salt is an important abiotic stressor that negatively affects plant growth phases and alters development. Herein, we found that a rice gene, OsMAR1 (Oryza sativa microtubule-associated RING finger protein 1), encoding the RING E3 ligase was highly expressed in response to high salinity, water deficit, and ABA treatment. Fluorescence signals of its recombinant proteins were clearly associated with the microtubules in rice protoplasts. Yeast two-hybrid (Y2H) and bimolecular fluorescence complementation (BiFC) showed that OsMAR1 interacted with a cytosolic protein OCPI2 (O. sativa chymotrypsin protease inhibitor 2) and led to its degradation via the 26S proteasome. Heterogeneous overexpression of OsMAR1 in Arabidopsis showed retarded root growth compared with that of control plants, and then led to hypersensitivity phenotypes under high salinity stress. Taken together, OsMAR1 negatively regulates the salt-stress response via the regulation of the OCPI2 protein in rice.
KeywordsMicrotubule Heterogeneous overexpression OsMAR1 OCPI2 Rice RING finger protein Salt stress
Oryza sativa chymotrypsin protease inhibitor 2
Oryza sativa microtubule-associated RING finger protein 1
This research was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology (2016R1A2B4015626).
- Amira MS, Qados A (2011) Effect of salt stress on plant growth and metabolism of bean plants Vicia fata (L.). J Saudi Soc Agri Sci 10:7–15Google Scholar
- Du H, Huang Y, Zaghlula M, Walters E, Cox TC, Massiah MA (2013) The MID1 E3 ligase catalyzes the polyubiquitination of alpha4 (alpha4), a regulatory subunit of protein phosphatase 2A (PP2A): novel insight into MID1-mediated regulation of PP2A. J Biol Chem 288:21341–21350CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Gupta B, Huang B (2014) Mechanism of salinity tolerance in plants: physiological, biochemical, and molecular characterization. Int J Genom 2014:701596–701613Google Scholar
- Wang H, Wu Z, Zhou Y, Han J, Shi D (2012) Effects of alt stress on ion balance and nitrogen metabolism in rice. Plant Soil Environ 2:62–67Google Scholar
- Zhang H, Chi F, Wu Y, Lou L, Liu L, Tina M, Ning Y, Shu K, Tang S, Xie Q (2015) The RING finger ubiquitin E3 ligase SDIR1 targets SDIR1-INTERACTING PROTEIN1 for degradation to modulate the salt stress response and ABA signaling in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 27:214–227CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar