Dynamic response of the transcriptome of a psychrophilic diatom, Chaetoceros neogracile, to high irradiance
- 610 Downloads
Large-scale RNA profiling revealed that high irradiance differentially regulated 577 out of 1,439 non-redundant genes of the Antarctic marine diatom Chaetoceros neogracile, represented on a custom cDNA chip, during 6 h of treatment. Among genes that were up- or down-regulated more than twofold within 30 min of treatment (310/1,439), about half displayed an acclimatory response during 6 h under high light. Expression of the remaining non-acclimatory genes also rapidly returned to initial levels within 30 min following a shift to low irradiance. High light altered expression of most of the photosynthesis genes (48/70), in contrast to genes in other functional categories. In addition, opposite response patterns were provoked in genes encoding fucoxanthin chlorophyll a/c binding protein (FCP), the main component of the diatom light-harvesting complex; high irradiance caused a decrease in expression of most FCP genes, but drove the rapid and specific up-regulation of ten others. C. neogracile responded very promptly to a change in light intensity by rapidly adjusting the transcript levels of FCP genes up-regulated by high light, and these dynamic adjustments coincided well with diatoxanthin (Dtx) levels formed by the xanthophyll cycle under the same conditions. The observation that the non-photochemical quenching (NPQ) capacity of this polar diatom was highly dependent on Dtx, which could bind to FCP and trigger NPQ, suggests that the up-regulated FCP gene products may participate in a photoprotective process as Dtx-binding proteins.
KeywordsTranscriptome Antarctic diatom High irradiance Xanthophyll cycle Fucoxanthin chlorophyll a/c binding protein NPQ (non-photochemical quenching)
Fucoxanthin chlorophyll a/c binding protein
This work was supported by the Research Fund of Hanyang University (HY/2006/S).
- Armbrust EV, Berges JA, Bowler C, Green BR, Martinez D, Putnam NH, Zhou S, Allen AE, Apt KE, Bechner M, Brzezinski MA, Chaal BK, Chiovitti A, Davis AK, Demarest MS, Detter JC, Glavina T, Goodstein D, Hadi MZ, Hellsten U, Hildebrand M, Jenkins BD, Jurka J, Kapitonov VV, Kroger N, Lau WW, Lane TW, Larimer FW, Lippmeier JC, Lucas S, Medina M, Montsant A, Obornik M, Parker MS, Palenik B, Pazour GJ, Richardson PM, Rynearson TA, Saito MA, Schwartz DC, Thamatrakoln K, Valentin K, Vardi A, Wilkerson FP, Rokhsar DS (2004) The genome of the diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana: ecology, evolution, and metabolism. Science 306:79–86CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bowler C, Allen AE, Badger JH, Grimwood J, Jabbari K, Kuo A, Maheswari U, Martens C, Maumus F, Otillar RP, Rayko E, Salamov A, Vandepoele K, Beszteri B, Gruber A, Heijde M, Katinka M, Mock T, Valentin K, Verret F, Berges JA, Brownlee C, Cadoret JP, Chiovitti A, Choi CJ, Coesel S, De Martino A, Detter JC, Durkin C, Falciatore A, Fournet J, Haruta M, Huysman MJJ, Jenkins BD, Jiroutova K, Jorgensen RE, Joubert Y, Kaplan A, Kroger N, Kroth PG, La Roche J, Lindquist E, Lommer M, Martin-Jezequel V, Lopez PJ, Lucas S, Mangogna M, McGinnis K, Medlin LK, Montsant A, Oudot-Le Secq MP, Napoli C, Obornik M, Parker MS, Petit JL, Porcel BM, Poulsen N, Robison M, Rychlewski L, Rynearson TA, Schmutz J, Shapiro H, Siaut M, Stanley M, Sussman MR, Taylor AR, Vardi A, von Dassow P, Vyverman W, Willis A, Wyrwicz LS, Rokhsar DS, Weissenbach J, Armbrust EV, Green BR, Van De Peer Y, Grigoriev IV (2008) The Phaeodactylum genome reveals the evolutionary history of diatom genomes. Nature 456:239–244CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Choi HG, Joo HM, Jung W, Hong SS, Kang J-S, Kang S-H (2008) Morphology and phylogenetic relationships of some psychrophilic polar diatoms (Bacillariophyta). Nova Hedwig Beih 133:7–30Google Scholar
- Demmig-Adams B, Adams WWI, Heber U, Neimanis S, Winter K, Krüger A, Czygan F-C, Bilger W, Björkman O (1990) Inhibition of zeaxanthin formation and of rapid changes in radiationless energy dissipation by dithiothreitol in spinach leaves and chloroplasts. Plant Physiol 92:293–301CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Seki M, Narusaka M, Kamiya A, Ishida J, Satou M, Sakurai T, Nakajima M, Enju A, Akiyama K, Oono Y, Muramatsu M, Hayashizaki Y, Kawai J, Carninci P, Itoh M, Ishii Y, Arakawa T, Shibata K, Shinagawa A, Shinozaki K (2002) Functional annotation of a full-length Arabidopsis cDNA collection. Science 296:141–145CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhu S-H, Green BR (2008) Light-harvesting and photoprotection in diatoms: identification and expression of L818-like proteins. In: Allen JF, Gantt E, Golbeck JH, Osmond B (eds) Energy from the sun: 14th international congress on photosynthesis. Springer, The Netherlands, pp 261–264CrossRefGoogle Scholar