Tyrosine phosphorylation of plant tubulin
- 264 Downloads
Phosphorylation of αβ-tubulins dimers by protein tyrosine kinases plays an important role in the regulation of cellular growth and differentiation in animal cells. In plants, however, the role of tubulin tyrosine phosphorylation is unknown and data on this tubulin modification are limited. In this study, we used an immunochemical approach to demonstrate that tubulin isolated by both immunoprecipitation and DEAE-chromatography is phosphorylated on tyrosine residues in cultured cells of Nicotiana tabacum. This opens up the possibility that tyrosine phosphorylation of tubulin could be involved in modulating the properties of plant microtubules.
KeywordsPlant microtubules Post-translational modifications Phosphorylation Tubulin Tyrosine residues
The work was funded partially by NATO LST.CLG 979212 for Alla Yemets and Clive Lloyd, and by INTAS Grant 03-51-6459 for Alla Yemets, Yaroslav Blume, Pavel Dráber and Vadym Sulimenko. The work of Tetyana Sulimenko, Vadym Sulimenko and Pavel Dráber was also supported from project LC545 (Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport of Czech Republic) Grant No. 204/05/2375 from GACR and by Institutional Research support AVOZ 50520514. Alla Yemets was supported from INTAS Experienced Postdoctoral Fellowship for Young Scientists YSF 00-184. Clive Lloyd and Jordi Chan were funded by the BBSRC.
- Blume YB, Smertenko A, Ostapets NN, Viklický V, Dráber P (1997) Post-translational modifications of plant tubulin. Cell Biol Int 21:918–920Google Scholar
- Breviario D (2000) Tubulin genes and promotors. In: Nick P (ed) Plant microtubules. Springer, Berlin, pp 137–157Google Scholar
- De la Fuente van Bentem S, Anrather D, Dohnal I, Roitinger E, Csaszar E, Joore J, Buijnink J, Carreri A, Forzani C, Lorkovic ZJ, Barta A, Lecourieux D, Verhouning A, Jonak C, Hirt H (2008) Site-specific phosphorylation profiling of Arabidopsis proteins by mass spectrometry and peptide chip analysis. J Proteome Res 7:2458–2470PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dráberová E, Dráber P (1998) Novel monoclonal antibodies TU-08 and TU-16 specific for tubulin subunits. Folia Biol (Praha) 44:35–36Google Scholar
- Dráberová E, Zíková M, Dráber P (1999) Monoclonal antibody VI-10 specific for vimentin. Folia Biol (Praha) 45:35–36Google Scholar
- Guo A, Villén J, Kornhauser J, Lee KA, Stokes MP, Rikova K, Possemato A, Nardone J, Innocenti G, Wetzel R, Wang Y, MacNeill J, Mitchell J, Gygi SP, Rush J, Polakiewicz RD, Comb MJ (2008) Signaling networks assembled by oncogenic EGFR and c-Met. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105:692–697PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Heberle-Bors E (2001) Cyclin-dependent protein kinases, mitogen-activated protein kinases and the plant cell cycle. Curr Sci 80:225–232Google Scholar
- Opatrný Z, Opatrná J (1976) The specificity of the effect of 2, 4-D and NAA on the growth, micromorphology, and occurence of starch in long-term Nicotiana tabacum L. cell strains. Biol Plant (Praha) 18:359–365Google Scholar
- Sugiyama N, Nakagami H, Mochida K, Daudi A, Tomita M, Shirasu K, Ishihama Y (2008) Large-scale phosphorylation mapping reveals the extent of tyrosine phosphorylation in Arabidopsis. Mol Syst Biol 4, article number 193Google Scholar