Vacuolar citrate/H+ symporter of citrus juice cells
- 363 Downloads
We have isolated a cDNA, designated Citrus sinensis citrate transporter 1 CsCit1 encoding a novel vacuolar citrate/symporter. Immunoblots using antibodies raised against CsCit1 showed that the protein is localized to the juice sac cell vacuoles. The highest expression of CsCit1 and the amount of protein in the juice sac cell vacuoles coincided with the developmental stage at which the vacuolar citrate content began declining with the concomitant increase in vacuolar pH. Vacuoles from Sacharomyces cereviseae expressing CsCit1 displayed a citrate-dependent H+ efflux, and our results clearly demonstrate that CsCit1 is able to mediate the electroneutral co-transport of H+ and citrate ions, since the citrate-dependent H+ fluxes are not affected by changing the electrical potential difference across the tonoplast. The roles of CsCit1 in mediating citrate efflux from the vacuole and on citric acid homoestasis in Citrus juice sac cells are discussed.
KeywordsAcidity Citrate Citrus Homeostasis Symporter Vacuoles
We thank Dr. Zhang Hui for assistance in the initial experiments. This work was supported by grant No. 5000-117 from the California Citrus Research Board, by a Research Grant No. US-3575-04R from BARD, the United States-Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund, and by the Will W. Lester Endowment, University of California.
- Brune A, Muller M., Taiz L., Gonzalez P., Echeverria E. (2002) Vacuolar acidification in citrus fruit: comparison between acid lime (Citurs aurantifolia) and sweet lime (Citurs limmetoides) juice cells. J Am Soc Hort Sci 127:171–177Google Scholar
- Canel C, Bailey-Serres JN, Roose ML (1995) In vitro [14C]citrate uptake by tonoplast vesicles of acidless citrus juice cells. J Am Soc Hort Sci 120:510–514Google Scholar
- Cerana R, Giromini L, Colombo R (1995) Malate-regulated channels permeable to anions in vacuoles of Arabidopsis thaliana. J Plant Physiol 22:115–121Google Scholar
- Muller ML, Taiz L (2002) Regulation of the lemmon-fruit V-ATPase by variable stoichiometry and organic acids. J Membr Biol 185:2009–220Google Scholar
- Pajor AM (1996) Molecular cloning and functional expression of a sodium-dicarboxylate cotransporter from human kidney. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 39:F642–F648Google Scholar
- Ramakrishnan CV (1971) Citric acid metabolism in the fruit tissues of Citrus acida. Curr Sci 21:97–100Google Scholar
- Sambrook J, Fritsch ER, Maniatis T (1989) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, vol 1, 2, 3Google Scholar
- Ting SV, Vines HM (1966) Organic acids in the juice vesicles of Florida “Hamlin” orange and “Marsh Seedles” grapefruit. J Am Soc Hort Sci 88:291–297Google Scholar