An air-molding technique for fabricating PDMS planar patch-clamp electrodes
- 440 Downloads
We present a new technique for fabricating planar patch electrodes in the laboratory. Planar electrodes are micromolded using a micron-sized stream of air to define an aperture in the silicone elastomer, polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS). We have previously demonstrated that planar PDMS electrodes make excellent patch electrodes after surface modification. We demonstrate single-channel measurements of the rSlo channel in Xenopus oocytes and whole-cell measurements in CHO and RBL mammalian cell lines, using planar PDMS electrodes.
KeywordsIon channel Microfabrication Micromolding PDMS
We thank Yuri Osipchuk (Axon Instruments) for helpful discussions and sharing his idea of using a silver tube to act both as electrical connector and suction port. We also thank Azucena Munden for her help in electrode fabrication, Teresa Giraldez (Yale University) for advice and help with cell culture, and Mark Reed (Yale University) for helpful discussions. This work was supported by NIH grant EB-002020 and a grant from Axon Instruments.
- 2.Brüggemann A, George M, Klau M, Beckler M, Steindl J, Behrends JC, Fertig N (2004) Ion channel drug discovery and research: the automated nano-patch-clamp technology. Curr Drug Discov Technol 1:91–96Google Scholar
- 8.Kiss L, Bennett PB, Uebele VN, Koblan KS, Kane SA, Neagle B, Schroeder K (2003) High throughput ion-channel pharmacology: planar-array-based voltage clamp. Assay Drug Devel Technol 1:127–135Google Scholar
- 10.Lee JN, Park C, Whitesides GM (2003) Solvent compatibility of poly(dimethylsiloxane)-based microfluidic devices Anal Chem 75:6544–6554Google Scholar
- 13.Osipchuk Y, Dromaretcky A, Savtchenko A, Yang I, Mathes C, Chuchward P, Kleinschmidt J, Smith-Maxwell C, Blatz A (2001) Whole-cell recordings from new planar patch clamp electrodes (Abstract). Soc Neurosci 27:606.14Google Scholar
- 15.Penner, R (1995) A practical guide to patch clamping. In: Sakmann B, Neher E (eds) Single-channel recording. Plenum, New York, pp 3–30Google Scholar